Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rule 15:

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:
  • stand facing the field of play
  • have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline (Aurier please note)
  • throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play
All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point at which the throw-in is taken.

However Rose stole 5 yards (or 10 depending on who you believe). If he'd called Rose back no-one would have raised an objection.

Are we now choosing which Laws to follow, or which ones apply to us?

We now have a 'Mike Dean' thread - discussing said individual. Other fans must be looking at it an laughing. "Look, Spurs fans, always the victims"

We need to get over it (we're not Liverpool fans) and move on the tomorrow night.

Who gives a shit what other fans think ? They are deluded fools for supporting inferior team and they are not my concern nor my interest. Fuck em.

Quoting the rules at me means what exactly? Like many on this forum i’ve played football, coached and actively watched throughout my life and routinely both free kicks and throw ins are NOT taken from the point the ball goes out of play.

I am not debating that there is a rule. But it’s routinely enforced in a flexible way. And that’s why Rose doing what he did is NOT the same as giving fouls that were not fouls, giving corners that were not corners and giving cards that were never cards - which the officials did on Saturday.

I have said all along, we lost because we deserved to lose, but the reason the game was hard to control is that the ref did not grip the overly aggressive approach.

Anyone, tonight has annoyed me even more as Burnley have been showed up as utter fucking turd - which we knew they were - and we face having to win @ Stamford Bridge of all places to make up for it.

Who gives a shit what other fans think ? They are deluded fools for supporting inferior team and they are not my concern nor my interest. Fuck em.

Quoting the rules at me means what exactly? Like many on this forum i’ve played football, coached and actively watched throughout my life and routinely both free kicks and throw ins are NOT taken from the point the ball goes out of play.

I am not debating that there is a rule. But it’s routinely enforced in a flexible way. And that’s why Rose doing what he did is NOT the same as giving fouls that were not fouls, giving corners that were not corners and giving cards that were never cards - which the officials did on Saturday.

I have said all along, we lost because we deserved to lose, but the reason the game was hard to control is that the ref did not grip the overly aggressive approach.

If you bothered to read the thread, it's all explained in exhaustive detail. However to summarise...

I cited the rule to support the theory that if Dean really was anti-Spurs, he could have blown up and forced Rose to re-take the throw - thus depriving Kane of the goal-scoring opportunity.

He didn't - so really can't be as 'anti-Spurs' as all the conspiracy theorists suggest.

However if the ref sees a foul and awards a free kick, as much as we don't like it, it's a foul. Rose didn't take the throw from the correct position, Dean was well within his authority to ask him to take it again - but chose not to.

And that’s why Rose doing what he did is NOT the same as giving fouls that were not fouls, giving corners that were not corners and giving cards that were never cards - which the officials did on Saturday.

If you say so. They all concern the rules of football. I am interested in this concept of a 'flexible' rule. Presumably it allows you to interpret it to your own advantage? If you don't like the current rules Infantino at FIFA awaits your call.

Anyone, tonight has annoyed me even more as Burnley have been showed up as utter fucking turd - which we knew they were - and we face having to win @ Stamford Bridge of all places to make up for it.

How so? A draw at Chelsea will be an acceptable result. A win will be better, but we don't have to 'make up' for anything.

Other than that I agree that we deserved to lose against Burnley.

Last edited:
And good to hear.

The fcuking happy clappers on here who said it's just a game are like so many of our players.

Just the wrong game to lose and look at Burnley today.

Fcuking joke we were on Saturday.

Or Burnley were a joke today and weren't on Saturday....

Poch was just as at fault for the result on Saturday - him blaming the players or being fucked off with the team is pathetic.

Interesting read. Poch as fucked off with the team not delivering when they should as we are.

Very interesting approach and thought process from Poch. Is he being realistic or is he trying to frighten the players into thinking that if they don't focus and believe more then the opportunity will pass them by?

Using the timeframe of 5-10 years is fascinating. Most of the players will be retired by then so is he using this timeframe to scare them into taking their careers more seriously? Is he sticking it up them to get their heads more focused at vital moments or is there nothing to it and he's just managing expectations?

Personally I like this approach. If they have it in them to truly win they will react to this and it'll help them mature, take that next step in their heads etc. If they slump their shoulders, throw the towel in then they didn't have enough in them to get there. Does this make them want to prove a point? Give them a chip on their shoulders and want to prove the manager wrong? I think this is excellent from Pochettino, I think he's done everything right to ensure the players take responsibility as if they don't their short careers and all they could have achieved will pass them by.

Time to step up to the plate perhaps? Time will tell

Last edited:

Poch was just as at fault for the result on Saturday - him blaming the players or being fucked off with the team is pathetic.

To an extent I agree but fcuk me, the players as well.

Foyth for the first goal. Aurier for the 2nd.

Absolutely Pochettino must take his share of the blame but stone me our players got to want success more when it offers itself.

Absolutely Pochettino must take his share of the blame but stone me our players got to want success more when it offers itself.

But who is putting Foyth on Woods for corners? The manager, no? That was a joke decision, as was arguably starting 3 at the back (Though I can understand why he went that way), as was taking Winks off and losing all control of midfield, as was just throwing every attacking body in the squad on the pitch.

Ron Atkinson in the 90s once said during Aston Villas title challenge live on television that he believed too many players in his squad didn't believe they could win the title, which is why they ultimately didn't win it (More likely that United were just too good). but It wouldn't surprise me if we had a few of those in our squad, even though they talk the talk.

But who is putting Foyth on Woods for corners? The manager, no? That was a joke decision, as was arguably starting 3 at the back (Though I can understand why he went that way), as was taking Winks off and losing all control of midfield, as was just throwing every attacking body in the squad on the pitch.

Ron Atkinson in the 90s once said during Aston Villas title challenge live on television that he believed too many players in his squad didn't believe they could win the title, which is why they ultimately didn't win it (More likely that United were just too good). but It wouldn't surprise me if we had a few of those in our squad, even though they talk the talk.

Well we find out by this time next week once and for all for this season.

6 points and we will still have an outside chance. Anything less forget it and look over that shoulder.

I think that is where the real frustration comes from and what hurts the most: Poch knows deep down that he got it completely wrong on Saturday.

It happens sometimes, I trust him to do a much better job for Chelsea away.

I don't blame Poch for the loss on Saturday. Most of the time if the players turn up we win that one. If Dele is fit we probably go with a back four. I do think some of his subs showed a little panic which ultimately made us lose our shape but chasing two goals I don't blame him for doing so. We've gained results without sparkling this season which is a great trait to have, ultimately we haven't shown enough verve or tempo to make those gritty games count which I do think some of the players need to analyse and do something about. Do we need 1-2 new ones in to freshen things up? Are the players lethargic? Does Poch work them too hard for the size of our squad and it's resources? I can't really say for sure but we have lacked that swashbuckling style that we operated with with pretty much the same team we've had for the last 2-3 seasons so maybe he's just trying to get a rise out of them, maybe he's dropping truth bombs or maybe he's trying to get them to buck their ideas up for their future mentality. 5-10 years will mean this nucleus will have come and gone. Possibly he's doing it to scare them into not having the mindset of there's always next year etc

His comments are interesting either way

Last edited:
I don't blame Poch for the loss on Saturday. Most of the time if the players turn up we win that one. If Dele is fit we probably go with a back four. I do think some of his subs showed a little panic which ultimately made us lose our shape but chasing two goals I don't blame him for doing so. We've gained results without sparkling this season which is a great trait to have, ultimately we haven't shown enough verve or tempo to make those gritty games count which I do think some of the players need to analyse and do something about. Do we need 1-2 new ones in to freshen things up? Are the players lethargic? Does Poch work them too hard for the size of our squad and it's resources? I can't really say for sure but we have lacked that swashbuckling style that we operated with with pretty much the same team we've had for the last 2-3 seasons so maybe he's just trying to get a rise out of them.

I think he should be held as accountable as any of our players should - if neither are to blame then we have to scratch it off as just 'one of those days; - but it's obviously more than that. Man Utd was 'one of those days' - Saturday wasn't, in my view.

Another thing he really should look into is the fact that almost EVERYTIME we have a long break, we drop points. Why is this? Players taking their eyes off the prize? Players training too hard to compensate for lack of games?

Here are the last few results from when we had a 8+ days rest.

Burnley (A) - Lost 2-1 after 10 days rest.
Man Utd (H) - Lost 1-0 after 9 days rest.
West Ham (A) - Won 1-0 after 14 days rest.
Liverpool (H) - Lost 2-1 after 13 days rest
Man Utd (A) - Won 3-0 after 9 days rest
Southampton (A) - Drew 1-1 after 8 days rest
Woolwich (A) - Lost 2-0 after 13 days rest

29% win ratio.

We have a THREE week rest next month between between Southampton and Liverpool - that could get quite messy if we play like we have done over the last 12 months following long breaks.

Luckily for us, that's our only remaining fixture this season after a lengthy rest.

I think he should be held as accountable as any of our players should - if neither are to blame then we have to scratch it off as just 'one of those days; - but it's obviously more than that. Man Utd was 'one of those days' - Saturday wasn't, in my view.

Another thing he really should look into is the fact that almost EVERYTIME we have a long break, we drop points. Why is this? Players taking their eyes off the prize? Players training too hard to compensate for lack of games?

Here are the last few results from when we had a 8+ days rest.

Burnley (A) - Lost 2-1 after 10 days rest.
Man Utd (H) - Lost 1-0 after 9 days rest.
West Ham (A) - Won 1-0 after 14 days rest.
Liverpool (H) - Lost 2-1 after 13 days rest
Man Utd (A) - Won 3-0 after 9 days rest
Southampton (A) - Drew 1-1 after 8 days rest
Woolwich (A) - Lost 2-0 after 13 days rest

29% win ratio.

We have a THREE week rest next month between between Southampton and Liverpool - that could get quite messy if we play like we have done over the last 12 months following long breaks.

Luckily for us, that's our only remaining fixture this season after a lengthy rest.

Pretty interesting. It's one of those stats that you look at and ask if there's anything in it, if we get a little rusty with a little rest, if teams getting a break before they play us gives them the legs to give us more of a go etc.

One thing I knew was going to happen with Burnley tonight was they were going to look leggy. They threw it at us because they had a reason to with how the game shaped up. It didn't surprise me to see them look heavy out there tonight. People look at it from what we could do better, possibly those rest periods just mean that the opposition can stifle more because of their energy levels being rejuvenated after a long rest. All depends on if the teams we faced during those longer periods had just as much rest as we didn't to see if that theory has any legs. It wouldn't surprise me with how our teams performance levels aren't magnificent usually until the start of a season dies down as does the adrenaline levels from teams, their supporters etc

Maybe our rhythm and mindset does get affected with longer spells away from the grind. I'd be very interested to see if the teams we played after a long spell off had just as long to recover their bodies as we get though. Could easily be a bit of both

If you bothered to read the thread, it's all explained in exhaustive detail. However to summarise...

I cited the rule to support the theory that if Dean really was anti-Spurs, he could have blown up and forced Rose to re-take the throw - thus depriving Kane of the goal-scoring opportunity.

He didn't - so really can't be as 'anti-Spurs' as all the conspiracy theorists suggest.

However if the ref sees a foul and awards a free kick, as much as we don't like it, it's a foul. Rose didn't take the throw from the correct position, Dean was well within his authority to ask him to take it again - but chose not to.

If you say so. They all concern the rules of football. I am interested in this concept of a 'flexible' rule. Presumably it allows you to interpret it to your own advantage? If you don't like the current rules Infantino at FIFA awaits your call.

How so? A draw at Chelsea will be an acceptable result. A win will be better, but we don't have to 'make up' for anything.

Other than that I agree that we deserved to lose against Burnley.
Ok

Interesting read. Poch as fucked off with the team not delivering when they should as we are.

Interesting quotes, or worrying... either way, it puts paid to the notion he's leaving this Summer... he's said he's gonna need TEN YEARS here!!
:pochlol:

I think mindset is the final piece in the puzzle for many teams. Ranieri had it bang on when they won, Fergie always had them believing, Jose the same. You can see teams getting close but failing at the last minute... the mental and belief side is probably the most difficult to coach.

I find it interesting how we do medicals before a transfer but how about psychometric profiling? Can't we identify the traits top players need and make sure we don't get people who are only interested in the wage and flashy cars.

I truly believe we have a nucleus of players who give a shit (Kane, Winks, Sissoko, Lamella) but half the team isn't enough. Everyone of those players stepping on the pitch or sitting on the bench needs to want to win above everything else and believe they can make the difference if things aren't going their way.

It's strength of character so for me metal profiling is a big part.

Maybe we already do this, who knows...

Intended as a huge reality check and rocket up anus to the players-the more I think about the Dean incident the more I think Guido has a point, taking the attention away from the players performance while showing them how much it should matter to them and being an example.
Could all have been a cunning rouse and not just an out of character outburst

Back
Top Bottom