Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whispers beginning to come out about United...

I do think it's a bit risky for Mauricio honestly. It's obviously a step up and one of the most undeniably attractive jobs in the world. However, after his stint with us, the question about Poch is whether or not he can win trophies. He certainly got close with us many times, but he was not able to get us over the line. In his next job he will absolutely need to win something to 1. prove he can and 2. that will be the expectation of whatever club he goes to.

With United, he'd be taking over a team that has struggled for quite a while now and is in the middle of a rebuild. He's not taking over a Bayern team that can waltz their way to the title most years, he's taking over a struggling team in a league with stiff competition every year. The question with Mauricio is if he couldn't get it over the line because of his transfer budget/squad quality or because he lacks some key motivational element. At United, the first question will be removed, it will all be down to him.

Another final thing I'll mention is Poch's track record with transfers is honestly not the best. Will that improve with more funds, or will the misses just become that much more expensive?

Hard to say, but Poch to United would be fascinating.

He’d be better waiting for a top job where can win trophies for certain like Bayern or Madrid. prem is far too competitive to guarantee anything and he has to move up a level like when he left Saints for us.

he will feel better waiting till end of season and getting the RM job after Zidane gets sacked and winning a league title than getting the United job and coming 4-5th next season.

"rebuild my self and get my self-motivation back"

That was the most telling quote in the piece for me too.

I was just about the post the very same thing. It was pretty obvious to us as well. He will be back soon im sure of it, preferably abroad.

One thing is what I feel bad about. I was one of the people that thought he was a massive bellend for not starting Lucas and doubted his decisions. Turns out Poch was right. Lucas is an incredible impact sub, but lacks alot when he starts games.

EJ40-NkWsAITsae-1.jpg

I can see him coaching in Argentina closer to the end of his career. He will want to stay in Europe for the time being.
There is no way he is managing an Argentine Club for the foreseeable future. In fact, I would be surprised if he will ever manage a Club there. He left Argentina when he was 21yrs old and has hardly been back there. The bigger lure would be the National side, which a bit like managing England is a poisoned chalice to many that take it on, so could only ever see this towards the end of his career, not to mention that his style of management is currently better suited to Club football.

There is no way he is managing an Argentine Club for the foreseeable future. In fact, I would be surprised if he will ever manage a Club there. He left Argentina when he was 21yrs old and has hardly been back there. The bigger lure would be the National side, which a bit like managing England is a poisoned chalice to many that take it on, so could only ever see this towards the end of his career, not to mention that his style of management is currently better suited to Club football.

He would improve their National side were he to go there, but their lack of quality in some areas would mean he would still fall short of winning the world cup with them (a bit unrealistic considering they don't have enough quality in some departments, but having Messi in your side will always make this the objective ... which would ultimately mean the expectations wouldn't be met.

And yes, his style of management takes time to implement. He won't have that luxury at a National side. I think he knows what's best for him.

One UK option left for Pochettino and I don't see any United player calling for him. He just has to realise the damage to his reputation the last 12 months has caused.

I also think Eriksem to them if Pogba leaves is very likely

Ancelotti to Everton is a bloke looking for an easy payday and Arteta to Woolwich is hoping that the Apprentice has learned from the Sorcerer, forgetting the resources that Spendiola has either inherited or been given over the years

I understand each decision but hope every one of them fails dismally.

Last edited:
One UK option left for Pochettino and I don't see any United player calling for him. He just has to realise the damage to his reputation the last 12 months has caused.

I also think Eriksem to them if Pogba leaves is very likely

Ancelotti to Everton is a bloke looking for an easy payday and Arteta to Woolwich is hoping that the Apprentice has leaened from the Sorcerer, forgetting the resources that Spendiola has either inherited or been given over the years

I understand each decision but hope every one of them fails dismally.
I still think he'll land in a fantastic spot, he is just biding his time until the big jobs open. He is too good for the scum and Everton.

Honestly, I thin khe'd be a tremendous fit at Barca and I'm sure he'd love to coach Messi. With his Espanyol ties I doubt he does that though.

Back
Top Bottom