Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair to Matt1882 , you are.

Despite the title being lost, Poch and the team really should've been able to muster enough motivation to finish above Woolwich to get 1 solitary point from Southampton and Newcastle.

At that point, Arse had finished above us for like 20 seasons in a row. That ALONE should have motivated the team to get the points and do that job.

Herclueless Herclueless , jokes aside. Do you really get upset at bad grammar on the internet? I find that frankly bizarre. It's supposed to be informal. Which is why 'care less' is fine. Do you think people genuinely do not know and you're helping them ? Or is it an O.C.D thing? The banter and bar room informality is why chat forums work.
No not really, could/couldn't care less is just a pet peeve, the acceptance of "could care less" as synonymous seems to have come about solely due to Americans insisting on using it to the extent that the rest of the sane world just through their hands up and said sod it, nevermind.

I get annoyed at myself when I post and notice an obvious error/typo, and will edit to rectify, but other posts I just read and don't mind about any such things, I'll only ever point out if being petty or jokingly.

I'm excluding the last 2 games of the 15/16 season for the most obvious of reasons, something that you too conceded that there wasn't anything to play for the players to play for. (us fans wanted to finish above Woolwich).
Don't you think that only really works as an excuse when the opposition in those games does still have something left to play for? Newcastle on the final day were already relegated, so why were they motivated enough to spank us 5-1?

I'm excluding the last 2 games of the 15/16 season for the most obvious of reasons, something that you too conceded that there wasn't anything to play for the players to play for. (us fans wanted to finish above Woolwich).
There was something important to play for. 20 years of suffering those wankers up the road celebrating St Totteringham day.
And not only did we fail, we did it in the most embarrassing and pathetic way possible.

To be fair to Matt1882 , you are.

Despite the title being lost, Poch and the team really should've been able to muster enough motivation to finish above Woolwich to get 1 solitary point from Southampton and Newcastle. They really did seem to be burnt out.
I've detailed why I think they didn't.

They weren't playing football to finish above the scum, they were trying to win the league. The movement this becomes impossible there is literally zero motivation.

Everything that has been wrong with the mentality at the club was highlighted by Poch on several occasions. The Club was obsessed with finishing above the scum in Legaue, Poch was wanted the Club to be obsessed with winning the League, this was the target. (West Ham are obsessed with us, it's a small-time mentality - A mentality that's OK for fans to have BTW).

We lost one game in our last 15 games (the same as Leicester), what happened once it was mathematically impossible post-Chelsea game was we lost the last two games, it's fucking obvious why they were meaningless to the team that had been focused on the title.

Don't you think that only really works as an excuse when the opposition in those games does still have something left to play for? Newcastle on the final day were already relegated, so why were they motivated enough to spank us 5-1?
There was fuck all to play for, they couldn't give a shit once the opportunity to win the league wasn't mathematically possible. It's has nothing to be with being gassed at the end of the season, it has nothing to do with a non-existent pattern that happens to Poch's teams.

I've addressed this with almost every one of my posts above. Are you actually reading what I'm typing?

Some one else has already pointed out you're being selective.
I'm using every season in Pochettino's managerial career to point out in his first few seasons, all his teams drop off at the end of the season.
And you're ranting about 1 season, where a title was lost, as an excuse to get twatted when we still had something to play for.

I'm done with the conversation now. I've made my point. Everyone else can see it but you.

No not really, could/couldn't care less is just a pet peeve, the acceptance of "could care less" as synonymous seems to have come about solely due to Americans insisting on using it to the extent that the rest of the sane world just through their hands up and said sod it, nevermind.

I get annoyed at myself when I post and notice an obvious error/typo, and will edit to rectify, but other posts I just read and don't mind about any such things, I'll only ever point out if being petty or jokingly.

#TeamCOULDN'T

rambo-gun.gif

There was fuck all to play for, they couldn't give a shit once the opportunity to win the league wasn't mathematically possible. It's has nothing to be with being gassed at the end of the season, it has nothing to do with a non-existent pattern that happens to Poch's teams.
That doesn't really seem to address the point I made though, what did Newcastle have to play for? If having nothing to play for is the excuse for our collapse that day, why were Newcastle, with just as little (if not less) to play for, able to turn up and tonk us?

Realistically, it's probably a combination of the two, with the title still possible there could have been some kind of adrenaline keeping them going and overriding the fatigue, which disappeared when the title became mathematically impossible and all of a sudden they crashed into the wall of fatigue that they had been flying over previously?

Some one else has already pointed out you're being selective.
I'm using every season in Pochettino's managerial career to point out in his first few seasons, all his teams drop off at the end of the season.
And you're ranting about 1 season, where a title was lost, as an excuse to get twatted when we still had something to play for.

I'm done with the conversation now. I've made my point. Everyone else can see it but you.
I've omitted the last TWO games of the season (15/16) and given reasons for this, something that you also conceded had relevancy. There was NOTHING to play for (for us fans there was because we are small-time and obsessed with Woolwich, something thankfully Poch was trying to break this mentality at the club and focus on bigger more important objectives like a Legaue title, something you and I have never experienced in our lifetimes).

Now let's see what you are being selective about. You've omitted an ENTIRE SEASON 2016/17!! What happened the following year, where is the "collapse"? We won 12 of the last 13 games!!

That doesn't really seem to address the point I made though, what did Newcastle have to play for? If having nothing to play for is the excuse for our collapse that day, why were Newcastle, with just as little (if not less) to play for, able to turn up and tonk us?

Realistically, it's probably a combination of the two, with the title still possible there could have been some kind of adrenaline keeping them going and overriding the fatigue, which disappeared when the title became mathematically impossible and all of a sudden they crashed into the wall of fatigue that they had been flying over previously?
I don't care about Newcastle's objectives. I've no idea about their frame of mind, the mentality of a relegated Club.

I do know that athletes don't train or dream to be 2nd. If it is fatigue what happened the following year or does that year not count in this analysis because it's very inconvenient?

Sounds like utd think Ten Haag > Poch in the summer and TH is keen.
There is very little between them I think, +/- in a couple of columns for each.

But when you factor in that Ten Haag had the better team when he beat them in our run to CL final and that Poch has clear experience already of the PL with 353 games I'd go Poch. But I am totally biased.

2016 last game of the season I think most people are overlooking we played 45 minutes against Newcastle with Josh Onomah and Tom Carroll as two of our midfielders.
Youngsters who were destined for the championship.

But back then they were the future gerrard and scholes.
Just another reminder of how we had the best squad in the world.

And who did they replace?

Son started. 13th start of the season. Probably knackered though. Hauled off at half time.
Mason started. His 8th start of the season. He was more than likely exhausted. Hauled off at half time.

Chasing a goal to equalise after they went down to 10 men Kyle Walker went off. Nacer Chadli came on at 70mins. He’d started 10 games all season. Surprised his legs still worked poor dolphin man.

We conceded 3 goals after he came on.

General consensus at the time - if dembele and dele had played the last two games of the season we would have done better.

Unfortunately due to severe tiredness dembele had poked Diego Costa in the eye resulting in a 6 game ban. And a chance to rest.
Dele who was almost certainly on the point of collapse leading to poor decision making had also been suspended for punching an opposing West Brom player. He was told to go lie down and relax by the FA.

I don't care about Newcastle's objectives. I've no idea about their frame of mind, the mentality of a relegated Club.

I do know that athletes don't train or dream to be 2nd. If it is fatigue what happened the following year or does that year not count in this analysis because it's very inconvenient?
Well that's another argument that you're having with someone else, I'm just saying that you can't simply use the excuse that they had nothing to play for to justify losing 5-1 to an already relegated team, there has to be more to it than that.

Maybe nobody dreams of coming second (well, maybe cretinousgoat cretinousgoat ...), but I doubt Newcastle were any more motivated to fight for a better position in the bottom three either, yet they managed to get themselves up for the game.

Well that's another argument that you're having with someone else, I'm just saying that you can't simply use the excuse that they had nothing to play for to justify losing 5-1 to an already relegated team, there has to be more to it than that.

Maybe nobody dreams of coming second (well, maybe cretinousgoat cretinousgoat ...), but I doubt Newcastle were any more motivated to fight for a better position in the bottom three either, yet they managed to get themselves up for the game.
I’m giving specific reasons why, I’m not excusing them as I’m a small minded supporter who desperately wanted them to get the point required for us to finish above the scum in 20yrs.

It’s just that’s not what the team were playing for. It meant nothing to them. What they were fighting for was no longer there to fight for.

This isn’t an excuse, it’s a valid point of view. Poch repeatedly spoke of not having the team obsess on Woolwich but to focus on bigger targets. Athlete’s of all types don’t motivate themselves with the target of being 2nd.

I don’t know the frame of mind of a relegated team, I don’t even know the circumstances of thier relegation, whether it was decided weeks before the game or not, it doesn’t matter our lads couldn’t careless about the game as there was literal nothing in it for them.

Back
Top Bottom