Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Makes our CL exit from a group including Leverkusen, monaco and CSKA even more shambolic then doesn't it.

How is it shambolic? Those sides are not to dissimilar to us, CSKA were the top seed in our group yet they are bottom. We were 3rd pot so in theory both CSKA and Leverkusen were better placed teams. The fact that Monaco are topping the group just shows how good a side they are and doing a 'Tottenham of 2010', where the non-favourite is doing well. Going out in such a limp manor still is annoying but with our inexperienced CL coach and young squad I'm sure we are in a good place to try and challenge again for top 4.

It's done now, we need to move on rather than try and dissect the performances in the Champions League.

People always used to use our inability to offer CL football as an excuse for failing to land top quality players. When we make it, the same people now say we can't attract top players because we can't compete with the clubs that missed out. It's fucking laughable. And what's brexit got to do with it. I'm a staunch remainer. Are you blaming brexit now for our shortcomings ?

To be honest I think the majority of players these days would rather have more wages then the chance of CL football and less wages.
Plus a lot of other PL clubs can now offer more wages as you have all this new TV money floating around, but we are building our new stadium, I'm sure once this is built and our revenue increases we can start competing on wages, but realisticly we are never going to be able to offer the same kind of money as the so called bigger clubs....

Makes our CL exit from a group including Leverkusen, monaco and CSKA even more shambolic then doesn't it.

Yeah, you've got nothing, as i thought

Yes, i agree we made a poor showing of ourselves in Europe this campaign. It's disappointing. However, It's difficult to directly compare us with teams across leagues because each league has its own regulations which will affect how a club operates (fan ownership in Germany for example).

However the original point argued against was "why don't we buy better players".

I'm through trying to engage you intelligently now tbf. It's clear you have nothing thoughtful to add.

I think it's 12th, not 11th.

There are two different lists. I believe the Deloitte list is based on annual revenue and the Forbes list is ranked by a clubs total value or "wealthiest" which was John Thomas John Thomas 's original misguided point.

Pochettino: The next Messi will play in the Premier League

The next big stars of the game will be plying their trade in England's top tier according to Tottenham Hotspur coach Mauricio Pochettino .

Currently home to the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paul Pogba, Sergio Aguero and Mesut Ozil, the Premier League is taking over from LaLiga as the place to be if you're an elite level player.

"These types of players do not come around every day or every year," the 44-year-old said, speaking exclusively to MARCA.

"Real Madrid and Barcelona already have Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and no one will take them away.

"But with the economic power now that some English clubs have, the next superstar will play in England."

In addition, despite the financial positions of their rival clubs, the Tottenham boss believes that with hard work and a bit of luck on their side, his team have every chance of winning the league title this season.

Spurs are unbeaten in 2016/17 having won six and drawn six of their opening 12 matches, and the club's long-term project of signing big-names, building a new stadium and improving their academy assures Pochettino that the club will be able to compete with the big five in the near future.

"We are still unbeaten and last season we were very, very close," he said.

"With some luck we can be in first place. If we maintain the level and improve some aspects, we are sure to be up there.

"It's true that, with the construction of the new stadium, it limits the possibilities of investing more in the players, giving other teams like City, Woolwich, Chelsea, United or Liverpool the advantage.

"But this is another project, another story. What we must do is make smart decisions to be competitive and fight with clubs like those mentioned above.

"The mentality and work of the whole club is fundamental for success and all of our efforts are aimed at reducing the financial distance.

"What I have is a group of players who love to fight and compete for Tottenham and so far no one has beaten us. It shows that we can already compete on the pitch."

Meanwhile, Pochettino believes the diversity of coaches is good for the league's reputation and says he is still trying to learn from the best.

"Personalities and characters are good for the Premier League.

"The focus is on England because the best coaches or those who have won the most are here.

"It's a further motivation for me, I'm still learning and every weekend is a challenge."

The next big stars of the game will be plying their trade in England's top tier according to Tottenham Hotspur coach Mauricio Pochettino .

Currently home to the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paul Pogba, Sergio Aguero and Mesut Ozil, the Premier League is taking over from LaLiga as the place to be if you're an elite level player.

"These types of players do not come around every day or every year," the 44-year-old said, speaking exclusively to MARCA.

"Real Madrid and Barcelona already have Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and no one will take them away.

"But with the economic power now that some English clubs have, the next superstar will play in England."

In addition, despite the financial positions of their rival clubs, the Tottenham boss believes that with hard work and a bit of luck on their side, his team have every chance of winning the league title this season.

Spurs are unbeaten in 2016/17 having won six and drawn six of their opening 12 matches, and the club's long-term project of signing big-names, building a new stadium and improving their academy assures Pochettino that the club will be able to compete with the big five in the near future.

"With some luck we can be in first place. If we maintain the level and improve some aspects, we are sure to be up there.

"It's true that, with the construction of the new stadium, it limits the possibilities of investing more in the players, giving other teams like City, Woolwich, Chelsea, United or Liverpool the advantage.

"But this is another project, another story. What we must do is make smart decisions to be competitive and fight with clubs like those mentioned above.

"The mentality and work of the whole club is fundamental for success and all of our efforts are aimed at reducing the financial distance.

"What I have is a group of players who love to fight and compete for Tottenham and so far no one has beaten us. It shows that we can already compete on the pitch."

Meanwhile, Pochettino believes the diversity of coaches is good for the league's reputation and says he is still trying to learn from the best.

"The focus is on England because the best coaches or those who have won the most are here.

"It's a further motivation for me, I'm still learning and every weekend is a challenge."

It feels like Real and Barca are in no danger of losing their status as the ultimate destination for superstars, especially since more often than not those players are Spanish speakers and those two clubs are comfortably the richest in the world. And about the "PL becoming the place to be for superstars" line from the author....out of all the superstars in the PL, who would get into Barca or Real's starting lineup when everyone is healthy? Aguero, maybe? De Gea?

I am GLAD poch said we are staying at wembley. Adebayor 2.0 aka Sissoko needs to man the fuck up. You don't win anything by being a little snowflake wanting to play at home. We have been defeated by two teams that are better than us as proven by their form and proven over and over and over again.As these are the teams that knock us out in the Europa later stages.

All we can do right now is RETURN TO WHAT WORKS. simple pragmatism. Kane and Dele have a partnership, that works, keep it. Dembele and Dier do best in midfield, keep it. Lamela is our number 1 choice for the right win, use it. Our defence is the problem though.

I saw this from a mile off. Alderweireld got injured, we slot Dier back there taking away from the great midfield pair of dier and dembele, then bring wanyama in who is less creative.

I am GLAD poch said we are staying at wembley. Adebayor 2.0 aka Sissoko needs to man the fuck up. You don't win anything by being a little snowflake wanting to play at home. We have been defeated by two teams that are better than us as proven by their form and proven over and over and over again.As these are the teams that knock us out in the Europa later stages.

All we can do right now is RETURN TO WHAT WORKS. simple pragmatism. Kane and Dele have a partnership, that works, keep it. Dembele and Dier do best in midfield, keep it. Lamela is our number 1 choice for the right win, use it. Our defence is the problem though.

I saw this from a mile off. Alderweireld got injured, we slot Dier back there taking away from the great midfield pair of dier and dembele, then bring wanyama in who is less creative.

Wanyama has been our best player this year imo. I can't see us dropping him.

--------------Kane------------
Eriksen----Dele------Lamela
---------Dier----Dembele------
Rose---Vert-- Ald-------Walker
-----------Lloris------------------

This is our 'winning squad' . Everyone outside of that are squad players

My thinking is that, we preserve this starting 11 through rotation .Unfortunately, I can't see this happening. Kane,Dier, Alderweireld ( when back) and vert will start every game because Poch does not believe what he has on the bench is good enough.

--------------Kane------------
Eriksen----Dele------Lamela
---------Dier----Dembele------
Rose---Vert-- Ald-------Walker
-----------Lloris------------------

This is our 'winning squad' . Everyone outside of that are squad players

My thinking is that, we preserve this starting 11 through rotation .Unfortunately, I can't see this happening. Kane,Dier, Alderweireld ( when back) and vert will start every game because Poch does not believe what he has on the bench is good enough.

Unbelievable to think we have been unable to play that team once this season. That's 4 fucking months.

Messi with an Afro? :pochlol:

28576CA400000578-3073532-image-a-109_1431088729543.jpg

It will be a good test of how much sway Poch has over our players today...
last season at The Bridge was a disaster... Poch was instrumental in the players' indiscipline and aggressive attitude that night.

I hope he, and they have learned a valuable lesson from that awful night.

We need to play well, and play hard... but not play dirty. THEY have plenty of those types of player who are more than happy to do that... we don't have to stoop to their level!

I agree with that but splashing £30 million on a proven failure who just got relegated is not one of those "smart decisions" that he is talking about.

I think it is true that the EPL is going to get the bigger players in the future because of the money and the deals just keep going up... But Spain is still attractive to the top players because it is easier - most European leagues you sign for a team who is going to either win every year or share that with one other team. Not so in the EPL, it is much more competitive which means less medals but more worth to them if you win them. England is a nice place to live, especially London which is very attractive to players, but Spain for instance is very attractive also for different reasons, so it's not like the EPL is going to dominate entirely and Spain is going to be scraping around for players.

I agree with that but splashing £30 million on a proven failure who just got relegated is not one of those "smart decisions" that he is talking about.

I think it is true that the EPL is going to get the bigger players in the future because of the money and the deals just keep going up... But Spain is still attractive to the top players because it is easier - most European leagues you sign for a team who is going to either win every year or share that with one other team. Not so in the EPL, it is much more competitive which means less medals but more worth to them if you win them. England is a nice place to live, especially London which is very attractive to players, but Spain for instance is very attractive also for different reasons, so it's not like the EPL is going to dominate entirely and Spain is going to be scraping around for players.

In Spain it's easier for individual players to shine week in week out and end up with the Ballon d'Or or whatever it is that the elite players actually care about now. For this reason the Premier League is always going to either be a shop-front for Barca and Real or signing their players once their peak years are over.

Back
Top Bottom