Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Last season was just strange - Chelsea were rebuilding, Man City knew their manager was leaving, and Leicester won the title. It just wasn't as competitive as normal, and that made Spurs looks a stronger side than they actually are.
So expectations are basically too high. We're back to normal now with a strong Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. We simply don't spend as much money as those clubs, and you tend to finish on average according to how much cash you flash.
Poch has been our most successful manager for a long time and he brings stability. They've retained their main players so I don't see a Poch sacking on the horizon, even if we finish 6th.

Last season was just strange - Chelsea were rebuilding, Man City knew their manager was leaving, and Leicester won the title. It just wasn't as competitive as normal, and that made Spurs looks a stronger side than they actually are.
So expectations are basically too high. We're back to normal now with a strong Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. We simply don't spend as much money as those clubs, and you tend to finish on average according to how much cash you flash.
Poch has been our most successful manager for a long time and he brings stability. They've retained their main players so I don't see a Poch sacking on the horizon, even if we finish 6th.

Was thinking the same thing, I think last season has raised a few expectations.... but still seeing the long term plan here, I think we will get top 4 this season, not sure about next with the Wembley curse and all, but keep Poch and keep building with the new stadium and good things to come next 3-5 years....

I honestly think us trying to hang on to Poch is going to be more of an issue down the line than sacking him. Outside of the proper elite managers he's probably the most desirable one currently working. Which makes it all the stupider that some are seemingly becoming desperate to get rid.

I honestly think us trying to hang on to Poch is going to be more of an issue down the line than sacking him. Outside of the proper elite managers he's probably the most desirable one currently working. Which makes it all the stupider that some are seemingly becoming desperate to get rid.
Poch has shown a fantastic ability to nurture and bring on young players. He's shown no such ability at managing established star players. He's also won fuck all. I'm not so sure he'd be in such high demand as you suggest

..... We're back to normal now with a strong Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. We simply don't spend as much money as those clubs, and you tend to finish on average according to how much cash you flash"

The cash point is broadly true. However, Liverpool tend to finish below us.

6th,5th and 3rd is very good. However, Redknapp was 8th (2/3 of a season) 4th, 5th and 4th. AVB was 5th by 1 point finished on 71 points and sacked with the squad 5th I think ?

Last season was excellent & Poch has completely earned his stay of execution, but Levy has an itchy trigger finger and more than a few doubts are creeping in...1 win in 10. Knocked out of the Champions League early. Dismal in the league cup. Not picking players for "tactical" reasons who he is supposed to have scouted ? ( What did they scout the guy to do ? Paint the ceilings of the dressing room ? )

Is it Mitchell or Poch who bought a striker who can't score in open play while thinking it was wise to sell our second top goal scorer to WBA ? Keep in mind Chadli's MOtM v Chelsea in 2015 and close your eyes and recall Son's contribution today.

More than anything Levy needs to do one. But history suggests it is Poch who won't see the charitable side of our chairman, if things do not change.

Excellent chance to close the gap next weekend against Swansea. We FUCK that up. Poch won't see Christmas Is my bet. Happened to Rogers @ Liverpool and AVB at Spurs. The media will ramp up the pressure sooner or later and then bang. Someone gets his twitchy little fingers out.

Hopefully I am wrong and they are not going to do the stupid thing again. But then who would have thought they could sell soldado, fail to replace him and then buy someone who is even worse.... stupid runs through our board room by the looks of things.

You know what I meant, you happy with our form?
I didn't know what you meant. I was just sayin that we won last week vs Spam.

Can't say I'm delighted with the results over the past 5 days, & thought we were toss against Monaco. I thought we were much better against the Chavs, particularly in the first half. Would you not agree that we owned them? Second half, we looked nervous, tired & lacking spark.

But all this talk of sacking Poch by February?:dempsey:

Last edited:
6th,5th and 3rd is very good. However, Redknapp was 8th (2/3 of a season) 4th, 5th and 4th. AVB was 5th by 1 point finished on 71 points and sacked with the squad 5th I think ?

Last season was excellent & Poch has completely earned his stay of execution, but Levy has an itchy trigger finger and more than a few doubts are creeping in...1 win in 10. Knocked out of the Champions League early. Dismal in the league cup. Not picking players for "tactical" reasons who he is supposed to have scouted ? ( What did they scout the guy to do ? Paint the ceilings of the dressing room ? )

Is it Mitchell or Poch who bought a striker who can't score in open play while thinking it was wise to sell our second top goal scorer to WBA ? Keep in mind Chadli's MOtM v Chelsea in 2015 and close your eyes and recall Son's contribution today.

More than anything Levy needs to do one. But history suggests it is Poch who won't see the charitable side of our chairman, if things do not change.

Excellent chance to close the gap next weekend against Swansea. We FUCK that up. Poch won't see Christmas Is my bet. Happened to Rogers @ Liverpool and AVB at Spurs. The media will ramp up the pressure sooner or later and then bang. Someone gets his twitchy little fingers out.

Hopefully I am wrong and they are not going to do the stupid thing again. But then who would have thought they could sell soldado, fail to replace him and then buy someone who is even worse.... stupid runs through our board room by the looks of things.
Reading your post it sounds like you want him fired. Whilst at the same time you are having a pop at Levy for having an itchy trigger finger. Have I miss read that?

3A8F0B7500000578-0-image-a-121_1479596161027.jpg

Keep Poch for 20 years I say. He is young, and can grow and learn at Spurs, becoming part of the clubs DNA. We havent had that for decades.
This set up is genuine path to glory.

Paul Mitchell left the club because of Levy and clearly something went wrong during the summer transfer window. We all know Levy has a problem building relationships with people. I think Poch has built up as good a relationship with him as any human being could, which speaks volumes about Poch's character.
Selling Chadli was a mistake, and we don't look like scoring unless Kane is fully fit or Son is in a purple patch. The injury to Toby has made us shaky at the back.
I'm rambling here but I guess the general point is there is nothing here that cannot be fixed. I think Poch has enough respect from the Spurs fans that even if we finish outside the top 4 there is no way Levy can sack him.
I've been labelled anti Poch before on here which isn't the case at all, I just thought he needed to develop a second style of play so we are not so predictable and also not push a relatively small squad of players too hard in training.

Vertonghen, Dembele, Walker etc etc? They were already well-established players
Vertonghen and Dembele were established players who were rapidly losing form before Poch arrived, and also to a lesser extent, Walker. Danny Rose has turned into a potentially world class player under Poch and maybe we missed him yesterday as much as Toby.

Back
Top Bottom