Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where the fuck did I say that? it's nice to make up your own conclusions isn't it? we lost, get over it, Davies had a knock, he didn't play and we lost, move on rather than jump to conclusions and think what if
You do what you need to do and move on, don't involve me in it. It was you that was saying Trippier didn't play well when I said he should've played instead of Son. Think through what you say if you don't want to get pulled on it

Last edited:
Vertonghen and Wimmer have both played left back this season - I guess Pochettino didn't want to break up a winning central defensive partnership and didn't trust Wimmer out there. It's strange he decided to go with Son though, I imagine he was expecting Vertonghen to come across when Son attacked and Demebele to help out.

Didn't help that Son's 6 goals got us this far and he was pretty much undroppable due to the injuries. It's just one of those things. I doubt it'll ever happen again.

Maybe he could have managed 20 mins or so if needed - also we didn't have many others to take his place.
Wimmer could have played though. He is a left footed defender. I'm still baffled about selecting Son in the semi final of the FA cup, expecting him to play a defensive role. Whatever the situation may have been with Davies it still strikes me as a highly questionable decision from the manager.

But it's done now, so we need to focus on Wednesday.

Wimmer could have played though. He is a left footed defender. I'm still baffled about selecting Son in the semi final of the FA cup, expecting him to play a defensive role. Whatever the situation may have been with Davies it still strikes me as a highly questionable decision from the manager.

But it's done now, so we need to focus on Wednesday.

Can't see who else we would play left wing back

We already tried Wimmer away at Stamford Bridge and it was a disaster

Can't see who else we would play left wing back

We already tried Wimmer away at Stamford Bridge and it was a disaster

We didn't have to play with a wing back.

In the whole build up to the semi final we were playing 4-2-3-1 which we abandoned in favour of playing Son as a left wing back.

Rose injury taking longer to recover from, Davies gets a knock...

All things considered, I think it's impressive that we outplayed Chelsea for large swathes of the match while having to compensate for this.

Imperative that we bounce back against Crystal Palace and pray that Rose can be ready against the scum.

We started 4231 with Vertonghen left back for the first 10 minutes, but we were all over the place defensively.

Did we? I might have to re-watch to check. Just looked like we were nervous and Chelsea bombarded us before we settled and Chelsea decided to sit back after their early goal.

We started 4231 with Vertonghen left back for the first 10 minutes, but we were all over the place defensively.

if we did , i did not see vertonghen at left back, I know he does not have the pace, but he plays there for Belgium and did so years ago under AVB. I think the safefest bet would have been starting vert there or wimmer in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Poch is a great manager, we're very lucky to have him. Perhaps son at lwb was a mistake however he had a tough decision to make and had it played it differently we still may have lost, its impossible to predict.

There's a much bigger picture to look at, we're all hurting after yesterday, I was in bits last night, but look where our club are, until yesterday we were chasing a double.. incredible

There is a massive over fixation on Son at Wingback, seeing that Davies (assuming he was fit) got ripped appart by pace when we played Liverpool. (Assuming Davies was fit) playing Son as wingback to deal with the pace of Mosses is entirely justified. Again, playing Wimmer would have been just as bad a decision, seeing that he was the one that couldn't cope with Mosses at Stamford Bridge.

No doubt had Poch played either Davies or Wimmer he would have got cunted had the same thing happened as in previous performances when exposed against pace. What's that saying about making the same mistakes over again?

U0zoXFd.jpg

There is a massive over fixation on Son at Wingback, seeing that Davies (assuming he was fit) got ripped appart by pace when we played Liverpool. (Assuming Davies was fit) playing Son as wingback to deal with the pace of Mosses is entirely justified. Again, playing Wimmer would have been just as bad a decision, seeing that he was the one that couldn't cope with Mosses at Stamford Bridge.

No doubt had Poch played either Davies or Wimmer he would have got cunted had the same thing happened as in previous performances when exposed against pace. What's that saying about making the same mistakes over again?

I think Poch is brilliant, I think he is the most important / valuable person within the club. Pound for pound he has outperformed every other manager in the league, whilst developing young English Spurs academy players along the way. I love our team and so proud of what we are building. I hope he stays for the next 10 years. But I do think playing Son as a wingback was an accident waiting to happen.

I agree Davies wasnt able to deal with Mane but he then went on to play so much better in subsequent games.

Where I was sitting I was looking straight through the penalty box and saw Son sliding into the tackle and shut my eyes in agony knowing it was a golden chance for them to pinch a penalty. Talk about repeating the same mistakes again…I think that is exactly what we did y'day.
At the League cup in 2015 I had a similar seat in the same end and saw Chadli tugging on Ivanovic's arm allowing the c*nt to flail to the ground like he'd been shot and of course they scored from the resulting in swinging free kick. Its what they do, its in their DNA.

Weighing it all up I don't think Poch was trying to pull a masterstroke by playing Son there. I think it most likely his hand was forced by Davies being 70% fit and like you say, he couldnt play Wimmer there again.

I think Poch is brilliant, I think he is the most important / valuable person within the club. Pound for pound he has outperformed every other manager in the league, whilst developing young English Spurs academy players along the way. I love our team and so proud of what we are building. I hope he stays for the next 10 years. But I do think playing Son as a wingback was an accident waiting to happen.

I agree Davies wasnt able to deal with Mane but he then went on to play so much better in subsequent games.

Where I was sitting I was looking straight through the penalty box and saw Son sliding into the tackle and shut my eyes in agony knowing it was a golden chance for them to pinch a penalty. Talk about repeating the same mistakes again…I think that is exactly what we did y'day.
At the League cup in 2015 I had a similar seat in the same end and saw Chadli tugging on Ivanovic's arm allowing the c*nt to flail to the ground like he'd been shot and of course they scored from the resulting in swinging free kick. Its what they do, its in their DNA.

Weighing it all up I don't think Poch was trying to pull a masterstroke by playing Son there. I think it most likely his hand was forced by Davies being 70% fit and like you say, he couldnt play Wimmer there again.
The subsequent games for Davies were not against Chelsea, the best counterattack team in the league. Burnley, Swansea, Watford all causing problems before Poch made sime tactical weeks to compensate.

I will give a nod of gratitude towards Davies however, since Rose got injured has he missed a game? (13 games on the bounce?). It's a demanding role and when both FB's are fit Poch has allways rotated but couldn't this year, always reacting.

I love Poch, but it's not sacrilege to say he got it wrong yesterday. Watching Sonny in that position was horrible. It nullified his attacking threat and exposed his defensive frailties. When did we last concede 4? It threw away everything that we've built on. I think the occasion got to our manager.

Back
Top Bottom