Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t think Ossie Wembley is a Gooner. He was posting on SC for quite a while and whilst I can see how he rattles cages, personally I don’t question his Spurs fan status. He sounds frustrated with the club, and desperate for us to win a trophy. He put some thoughts on here about Pochettino that I don’t agree with, but the fallout is a bit strange to me.

Admittedly I’ve probably missed some of the more heated exchanges, but as far as I can tell the main argument seems to be about how Pochettino needs to win a trophy to be considered a success at Spurs, or am I mistaken?

I don’t think Ossie Wembley

Admittedly I’ve probably missed some of the more heated exchanges, but as far as I can tell the main argument seems to be about how Pochettino needs to win a trophy to be considered a success at Spurs, or am I mistaken?

In my opinion, yes. He claims to have supported the club from 1993, shortly after winning the FA cup. He’s being a whiny bitch because we haven’t won multiple trophies since then. A childish glory hunter.

Last edited:
I don’t think Ossie Wembley is a Gooner. He was posting on SC for quite a while and whilst I can see how he rattles cages, personally I don’t question his Spurs fan status. He sounds frustrated with the club, and desperate for us to win a trophy. He put some thoughts on here about Pochettino that I don’t agree with, but the fallout is a bit strange to me.

Massively so I see the Redknapp era being played out again and seemingly most of the supporter base going along with it. It is a decade since we last won something and for a club of our history that is unacceptable. We won more in the horror show that was the ‘90s than we have in this decade despite having two fantastic sides in that time. How can anyone not be pissed off by that? It drives me crazy that an inferior Woolwich side can win 3 FA cups in the last 4 years, that a mediocre United side can win a UEFA Cup, league cup and FA cup in that time. Sevilla who revenues are a fraction of ours m have won 5 UEFA cups in the last 12 years whilst we have managed only 2 quarters largely because we couldn’t be bothered. And virtually nothing is said about this, all I hear is about this glorious future that we going to have which I have been hearing for 14 years now ever since we started this ‘project’. This current team is the realisation of what we were told in 2004 and yet it’s still next season syndrome at play or how we supposedly have greater expectations than the trophies that have defined this club. The level of arrogance is astounding.I simply hate how we have moved on from being focused on silverware to being obsessed by status.

Last edited:
Massively so I see the Redknapp era being played out again and seemingly most of the supporter base going along with it. It is a decade since we last won something and for a club of our history that is unacceptable. We won more in the horror show that was the ‘90s than we have in this decade despite having two fantastic sides in that time. How can anyone not be pissed off by that? It drives me crazy that an inferior Woolwich side can win 3 FA cups in the last 4 years, that a mediocre United side can win a UEFA Cup, league cup and FA cup in that time. And virtually nothing is really said about this, all I hear is about this glorious future that we going to have which I have been hearing for 14 years now ever since we started this ‘project’. This current team is the realisation of what he were told on 2004 and yet it’s still next season, or we we have greater expectations that the trophies that have defined this club. I simply hate how we have moved on from silverware to being obsessed by status.
I think I see your point now, although (apologies) it was poorly worded before IMO.
I think what you're saying is that we were all taking the piss about woolwich treating top four as a trophy and we are now doing the same. Correct me if I'm wrong.
However I still think that as the game is dominated by money now that the top four has to be a priority, exposure/income/wages/sponsorship/attracting top players.
I also think that what pissed a lot of people of (inc. me) was the implication that we should revert to playing boring 1-0 defensive footie, as woolwich did.

Massively so I see the Redknapp era being played out again and seemingly most of the supporter base going along with it. It is a decade since we last won something and for a club of our history that is unacceptable. We won more in the horror show that was the ‘90s than we have in this decade despite having two fantastic sides in that time. How can anyone not be pissed off by that? It drives me crazy that an inferior Woolwich side can win 3 FA cups in the last 4 years, that a mediocre United side can win a UEFA Cup, league cup and FA cup in that time. And virtually nothing is really said about this, all I hear is about this glorious future that we going to have which I have been hearing for 14 years now ever since we started this ‘project’. This current team is the realisation of what he were told on 2004 and yet it’s still next season, or we we have greater expectations that the trophies that have defined this club. I simply hate how we have moved on from silverware to being obsessed by status.

Why aren’t you on SC now? Did they get fed up with you? Why else would someone of your superior intelligence be slumming it with the bottom dwellers? Although the bottom dwelling six gilled shark is a fearsome beast, and can bite you in two - as you’ve discovered.

Massively so I see the Redknapp era being played out again and seemingly most of the supporter base going along with it. It is a decade since we last won something and for a club of our history that is unacceptable. We won more in the horror show that was the ‘90s than we have in this decade despite having two fantastic sides in that time. How can anyone not be pissed off by that? It drives me crazy that an inferior Woolwich side can win 3 FA cups in the last 4 years, that a mediocre United side can win a UEFA Cup, league cup and FA cup in that time. And virtually nothing is really said about this, all I hear is about this glorious future that we going to have which I have been hearing for 14 years now ever since we started this ‘project’. This current team is the realisation of what he were told on 2004 and yet it’s still next season syndrome at play or how we supposedly have greater expectations than the trophies that have defined this club. The level of arrogance is astounding.I simply hate how we have moved on from being focused on silverware to being obsessed by status.
Give it a rest

Amongst other things yes.
The thing is it isn’t a trophy. I don’t know that anyone here considers it a trophy. But it is a necessary objective. We need to finish in the top 4 to continue growing - being in the champions league is more impactful to our growth than a league cup, it just is. And more important than an FA Cup (just look at how we’ve usurped woolwich these past few seasons while they’ve been winning FA cups).

We start every season with the intention and aim to win trophies, but top-4 has to be a priority. We don’t have United’s chequebook to remain competitive in player retention/recruitment without it. It’s simply a fact of modern football. Top-4 has to be prioritized, and those saying as much here are simply realists as opposed to nostalgic romantics.

Well that would be on Levy if you’re looking to blame someone. Except you can’t really blame him because he’s working within his means, and delivering above and beyond. Things like the training ground and new stadium will ultimately count as greater moments in the history of our club than one or two trophies.

I’m also frustrated about the lack of trophies, but there are so many factors to consider. Oil money, luck, injuries, all sorts of things.

Back
Top Bottom