Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Needs to be more pragmatic with his game management, throwing a way leads in the last minutes of a game is fucking embarrassing. With 10 minutes to go don’t worry about your “philosophy” and grind down the clock ffs.

Last edited:
Mate

With better players, over the course of a season those moments become balanced by the quality giving us better attack/defence.

If we had more quality maybe the same shit would have happened.. But we had a 2-3 goal lead instead. Maybe it would have been worse!

Does that mean we shouldn't change in case we risk being the same or even worse? No because that's dumb. Recruit properly and you play with the possibility that you are more likely than not a better team capable of better moments in matches.

Sry, I really could not understand your point here (would be welcomed if you'd explain bit more explicitly).
I mean, I did not say that buying anyone new would have been bad thing. I just pointed out that many shortcomings should not be attributed to the fact we did not buy any as we have proven that we can outplay same opponent, just not in the most curitial games.

Is he being too nice, too weak at the moment? I want him to go fucking apeshit at them for losing three on the spin. There seems to be a lack of heart at the moment somewhere in the team. I wonder if he feels let down after saying now is the time to be brave? I get the impression that the board cunted him over a bit with their stinginess. How can the same set of players look so different to what we know they can be?
Maybe, maybe not.
Martial wasn't gettable, Zaha wasn't gettable, Grealish wasn't worth 30/40 million. If he only wants big money targets, the chances are he won't get them, that's not our model. Perhaps the board led him to believe he could get the players he was after who knows.

Kane was though, which meant he was also in the box defending the each of these corners. But apparently, it was Poch's sub of him last night which is the reason people say we conceded the goal from the corner.

Probably some truth in both claims to be honest.
I personally think the sub was wrong and said to myself at the time “this is suicide”.

It was like Poch took out his Fat Sam handbook and went to chapter:
More Defenders = Better

The time to remove Kane was earlier when we wanted to kill them off. At that stage, we said to them, give us all you got, and they did.

It led to pressure. Lamela and Son being on the pitch would have given them a concern about being hit on the counter.

No idea if Kane would have cleared it off the goal line though, in fact I highly doubt he would have even been there.

Last edited:
Kane was though, which meant he was also in the box defending the each of these corners. But apparently, it was Poch's sub of him last night which is the reason people say we conceded the goal from the corner.

I would not say it was only about his defending. When we already were under some pressure before, we could at least give long ball upfield to Kane who could control it and play it, or get us a foul. He did that numerous times during 2nd half. But with him out of the picture, we were just 100% under the train - we sent the ball up, and it was re-won right away and new attack came flying in :( .

Probably some truth in both claims to be honest.
I personally think the sub was wrong and said to myself at the time “this is suicide”.

It was like Poch took out his Fat Sam handbook and went to chapter:
More Defenders = Better

The time to remove Kane was earlier when we wanted to kill them off. At that stage, we said to them, give us all you got, and they did.

It led to pressure. Lamela and Son being on the pitch would have given them a concern about being hit on the counter.

No idea if Kane would have cleared it off the goal line though, in fact I highly doubt he would have even been there.
I thought he was supposed to be shagged and dropped because he is unable to run and not pulling his weight or playing shit. Now he should have been left on the pitch and was the reason why they scored and we lost.

It was a classic run the clock down sub, a 90th min sub that is exectuted week in, week out in almost every game you see from a team that has a lead. Poch has subbed Kane off in exactly the same circumstances numerous times before now.

I would not say it was only about his defending. When we already were under some pressure before, we could at least give long ball upfield to Kane who could control it and play it, or get us a foul. He did that numerous times during 2nd half. But with him out of the picture, we were just 100% under the train - we sent the ball up, and it was re-won right away and new attack came flying in :( .
The player we have brought on to precisely take the ball up the field to take any pressure off has been Sissoko but he is injured. I felt that's what we wanted from Lucas, he has the ability to carry the ball, I'd say better than Kane. Although I 100% agree that Kane is far superior and holding the ball up, no one better than him at doing it in the side. But even that wasn't what we really needed, we needed to take the ball into the oppo corner and run the clock down, something Lucas is more than capable at doing.

Needs to be more pragmatic with his game management, throwing a way leads in the last minutes of a game is fucking embarrassing. With 10 minutes to go don’t worry about your “philosophy” and grind down the clock ffs.
pragmatism has always been something he has lacked. That Poch is an idealistic manager is nothing new. And pragmatism is usually something that comes with experience. Which makes his comment about the cow a bit funny

I thought he was supposed to be shagged and dropped because he is unable to run and not pulling his weight or playing shit. Now he should have been left on the pitch and was the reason why they scored and we lost.

It was a classic run the clock down sub, a 90th min sub that is exectuted week in, week out in almost every game you see from a team that has a lead. Poch has subbed Kane off in exactly the same circumstances numerous times before now.

If you play him for 89 minutes he might as well stay on.
If I had my way he wouldn’t have played at all

The player we have brought on to precisely take the ball up the field to take any pressure off has been Sissoko but he is injured. I felt that's what we wanted from Lucas, he has the ability to carry the ball, I'd say better than Kane. Although I 100% agree that Kane is far superior and holding the ball up, no one better than him at doing it in the side. But even that wasn't what we really needed, we needed to take the ball into the oppo corner and run the clock down, something Lucas is more than capable at doing.

Yea, well that would have been ideal. But I still have those situations in front of my eyes when we literally had NO ONE upfield. Sure we could try to run with the ball, but the alternative would still be to have someone who could compete for headers... but no one did. I mean if you don't use Llorente at that time... when ever will you :D ?

Yea, well that would have been ideal. But I still have those situations in front of my eyes when we literally had NO ONE upfield. Sure we could try to run with the ball, but the alternative would still be to have someone who could compete for headers... but no one did. I mean if you don't use Llorente at that time... when ever will you :D ?
You've got the Spanish Crouch (who has experience playing against Italian teams as well) but don't utilize him even as a game killer.

Bit weird

The ball would still come back IMO. Fucking difficult to ping a 60yrd ball and expect our player to control, hold it without losing the ball in the middle of the park with no support to lay it off to. If it's at his head all he can do he head it on, but it's back with them within seconds. As you said previously, to win a foul would be the best thing to do but in my opinion there is nothing harder for the oppo than dealing with a player who is carrying the ball up filed. More time is wasted and far more likely to make the corner flag or be fouled trying to get there. Hoofing it up to a lone man who's marked and outnumbered with no support then it's more than often coming straight back at you.

Maybe, maybe not.
Martial wasn't gettable, Zaha wasn't gettable, Grealish wasn't worth 30/40 million. If he only wants big money targets, the chances are he won't get them, that's not our model. Perhaps the board led him to believe he could get the players he was after who knows.
Or possibly Poch and the club identified the targets they wanted and the board were going to back him and for one reason or another (selling club didn't want to sell/we wouldn't pay high enough fee/'the player didn't want to come/wages weren't enough) we didn't get them.
There probably were alternatives but were either deemed not good enough for the outlay or decided we would wait until our no1 or 2 target were available.
At the end of the day who knows.

I do agree with Owen Hargreaves on BT Sport last night that 95% of managers would have made the same/similar sub, taking off an attacker and putting on a defender to see out the game (I think a draw away considering our last couple of games would have been a great result).
Sometimes it doesn't work out how you think it will.

I do agree with Owen Hargreaves on BT Sport last night that 95% of managers would have made the same/similar sub, taking off an attacker and putting on a defender to see out the game (I think a draw away considering our last couple of games would have been a great result).
Sometimes it doesn't work out how you think it will.

No issue taking Kane off.

The wrong sub was taking Lamela off.

It is quite funny to see how ppl (who have this in their agenda ANYWAYS) lament the lack of signings or ANY issues whatsoever.

Last season we had Juve hanging on to very slight lifeline. We showed in the away game that current crop of players were able to outplay them with ease. But we were outfoxed with two cleaver moves and lost the tie from being ahead.
In EPL at Wembley we were much better than ManU. And in cruitial moment in FA semis we lost (ah, 2:1 from being 0:1 up, does that seem like a pattern now?).
Season earlier we managed to outplay Chelsea at home 2:0. Come the FA semis, we experimented with Son as a fullback, and got bettered. In ALL of those occasions he had same players at his disposal, but under pressure we haven't been able to get those things over the line. So how in the hell is it down to our players / squad reinforcements. Same yesterday - we were in control and 1:0 up!! We lost this game more than Inter won. Sorry but this is a freakin pattern under Poch and it is not down to have new signings or not.
Add here Chelsea game in Lester title winning season and West Ham league game next year as well. I see very little progress up to now.
I agree with you in the important games you have just mentioned that when the pressure is on we don't seem to get it right.
Ironically since Poch has been here (until the season) I have had a lot more faith in us seeing out games with a slender lead which never used to exist. We had actually become good at it apart from in the pressure games.

Back
Top Bottom