Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The guy is clearly disillusioned and unhappy with Barcelona. It would seem there will have to be drastic changes from all levels at the club if the little man is to enjoy his football there again. Could he ever leave his beloved Barca ? and more importantly would he consider playing in the Premier League ?
I have a feeling the City billionaires are reaching for their chequebooks as I write.

I've always said, Messi's accomplishments at club level are among the greatest ever, but until he wins a World Cup he can't be considered even the best Argentine player ever IMO, Maradona still holds that distinction.

Maradona dragged a somewhat average Argentina side to one World Cup trophy and another final, as well as a then unfashionable Napoli team to the Serie A title.

Messi on the other hand has been part of some of the most talent rich Barcelona & Argentina teams in decades, like I said his club accolades are incredible but let's be honest, with the players Argentina have had including himself over the past 15 or so years they should have won at least something by now.

I've always said, Messi's accomplishments at club level are among the greatest ever, but until he wins a World Cup he can't be considered even the best Argentine player ever IMO, Maradona still holds that distinction.

Maradona dragged a somewhat average Argentina side to one World Cup trophy and another final, as well as a then unfashionable Napoli team to the Serie A title.

Messi on the other hand has been part of some of the most talent rich Barcelona & Argentina teams in decades, like I said his club accolades are incredible but let's be honest, with the players Argentina have had including himself over the past 15 or so years they should have won at least something by now.

To be fair he dragged a mediocre Argentina to a World Cup Final, and it’s arguable that the CL is the highest quality competition in world football.

Their defenders were mostly mediocre and their manager couldn’t get the squad to work.

I think Messi is the GOAT, but I thought Mascherano was equally as good as Messi that tournament. His performance in the semi-final against the Netherlands was one for the ages.

Sadly not long after the 2014 World Cup, he declined drastically.

Liverpool showed him how to play in champions League when 3-0 down. He wasn't special that night !!

They put 3-4 men on him every time he got the ball, they knew Barca just relied on him to do all their creating so when they shut him down they shut Barca down. Barca have big big problems when Messi leaves or retires.

Last edited:
Liverpool showed him how to play in champions League when 3-0 down. He wasn't special that night !!
AmDfgC.gif

Maradona and Brazilian Ronaldo the best ever of the post-Pele era. Brazilian Ronaldo was cut down by injury and was never the same but his season at Barcelona was truly exceptional.
Messi the best of the present era especially because he has maintained a consistently high level; whereas Ronaldinho was in some ways on the same level, he lost interest (but was more fun to watch).
Messi has also had a big effect on how the game is now played - very fast, technical, like a playstation game. I prefer the game in the 90s when even our own Gazza could have reigned supreme - it was technical but also physical and forced the creative players to become even greater in some respects because of the physicality of the game.
For earlier eras I'd say Pele is supreme but there were lots of greats playing in the England side like Johnny Hayes and Duncan Edwards. The closest England has come to producing not just a world class player, but the best in the world player at the time, was Gazza. I saw him at Newcastle and Spurs and at times I think he probably was; but like Diego and George Best, he had a habit of self destruction. God gives, Satan takes.

Every time this thread is bumped, I'm just going to say this

"Yes, he is"

I think so, yes.

It’s tough because I’ve only seen videos of Pele (seemed like an exceptional athlete with a quick brain), and caught the tail end of Maradona’s career.

Never really saw much of Cruyff so can’t comment. I guess Paulo Maldini must be up there, as is Zidane.

The real Ronaldo was one of the greatest strikers I’ve ever seen, but again I never saw Greaves play.

Greasy Ron is clearly a bit of a machine, but Messi more than matches him for consistency, and has a hell of a lot more flair. He’s also far more unselfish and embodies the true spirit of the game.

Messi’s record against English clubs in the CL suggests he would have had no problem dominating the league in this country. I guess whether people think he’s the GOAT or not, we can all agree that he’s a joy to watch.

I am old enough, and lucky enough, to have seen Pele, at Goodison Park in the WC in 1966.

He was the most gifted footballer I have ever seen.

Messi is brilliant though.

I haven't seen it (and your post reminded me of it actually) but heard on the radio last week that there is a video on youtube (I think) of him playing for Santos against Benfica where he rips them a new one. Apparently it is the whole game and worth a watch.

I could only find this though:

Maradona and Brazilian Ronaldo the best ever of the post-Pele era. Brazilian Ronaldo was cut down by injury and was never the same but his season at Barcelona was truly exceptional.
Messi the best of the present era especially because he has maintained a consistently high level; whereas Ronaldinho was in some ways on the same level, he lost interest (but was more fun to watch).
Messi has also had a big effect on how the game is now played - very fast, technical, like a playstation game. I prefer the game in the 90s when even our own Gazza could have reigned supreme - it was technical but also physical and forced the creative players to become even greater in some respects because of the physicality of the game.
For earlier eras I'd say Pele is supreme but there were lots of greats playing in the England side like Johnny Hayes and Duncan Edwards. The closest England has come to producing not just a world class player, but the best in the world player at the time, was Gazza. I saw him at Newcastle and Spurs and at times I think he probably was; but like Diego and George Best, he had a habit of self destruction. God gives, Satan takes.
You forgot Greaves !

Back
Top Bottom