Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It hilarious how tournament that's every 4 years determinate who's best player ever.
But being on top level for 15 years is not.

Who has been this good for 15 straight years? Ronaldo is up there. No-one else.

That's far more important to me than WC where are so many things have to get together for someone to win it.

Yeh. Still feels the greatest player is between Maradona and Messi, simply because they can do everything, they can/could come deep and run the midfield, they can dribble on the wing and they can be deadly up front, the complete attacking game. That’s not something Pele or Ronaldo good as they are can do, Pele was an out and striker and Ronaldo was a winger who converted to a striker but neither can run a midfield.

Yeh. Still feels the greatest player is between Maradona and Messi, simply because they can do everything, they can/could come deep and run the midfield, they can dribble on the wing and they can be deadly up front, the complete attacking game. That’s not something Pele or Ronaldo good as they are can do, Pele was an out and striker and Ronaldo was a winger who converted to a striker but neither can run a midfield.
Messi wouldn't have survived some of the tackles that George Best faced, and it's extremely doubtful he could have dribbled the way Best could in muddy cut up pitches.

For me, the clue is in the name...

It hilarious how tournament that's every 4 years determinate who's best player ever.
But being on top level for 15 years is not.

Who has been this good for 15 straight years? Ronaldo is up there. No-one else.

That's far more important to me than WC where are so many things have to get together for someone to win it.

It's not just the World Cup where he has underperformed.
Has not won what is little more than a 2 (some may argue up to 4) horse race in the Copa America either.
If you asked his own countrymen who is the better player between him and Maradona, I think you would not be able to find 10% saying Messi.

Where does Messi rate for me, probably 3 or 4, not even sure I would put him best in his generation as Ronaldo has shown it at ManU, Real, Juve and Portugal, whereas Messi hasn't shown it apart from with a great team built around him at Barca.

Last edited:
It's not just the World Cup where he has underperformed.
Has not won what is little more than a 2 (some may argue up to 4) horse race in the Copa America either.
If you asked his own countrymen who is the better player between him and Maradona, I think you would not be able to find 10% saying Messi.

Where does Messi rate for me, probably 3 or 4, not even sure I would put him best in his generation as Ronaldo has shown it at ManU, Real, Juve and Portugal, whereas Messi hasn't shown it apart from with a great team built around him at Barca.
Yeah, because thoose teams, United, Madrid and Juventus weren't favourites every season in their league 😂

Messi is on another level to Ronaldo when it comes to playmaking ability. We have seen that since Xavi retired.

I cannot believe some people. When you se him play, it's just fucking different than nay other player. The best ever

Yeah, because thoose teams, United, Madrid and Juventus weren't favourites every season in their league 😂

Messi is on another level to Ronaldo when it comes to playmaking ability. We have seen that since Xavi retired.

I cannot believe some people. When you se him play, it's just fucking different than nay other player. The best ever

That why I think the debate on the greatest is between Maradonna and Messi. Both could be wingers and strikers but both could also be the playmaker, they could do everything, that’s not something that can be applied to any other player.

38sGCZY.jpg

Helps when he playes against 16 teams of farmers every season

Whilst that is a tad harsh as no one else gets close, bar the very best, the truth which some will never accept is that in the biggest World tournaments, and the Copa America, where players give their absolute all.

Where players elevate themselves, Messi has not quite been able to translate club greatness.

So for all that is said, the truth remains that on a world stage there is not just Maradona and Pele but arguably fat and slim Ronaldo, Zidane and 2 or 3 others who have been exceptional (Not great maybe) at club level but also transcended all others on the biggest stage.

Messi is going nowhere in terms of the debate about being the best player ever but on many people's lists he will never be top.

Ask any Argentinian for starters.

Last edited:
Whilst that is a tad harsh as no one else gets close, bar the very best, the truth which some will never accept is that in the biggest World tournaments, and the Copa America, where players give their absolute all.

Where players elevate themselves, Messi has not quite been able to translate club greatness.

So for all that is said, the truth remains that on a world stage there is not just Maradona and Pele but arguably fat and slim Ronaldo, Zidane and 2 or 3 others who have been exceptional (Not great maybe) at club level but also transcended all others on the biggest stage.

Messi is going nowhere in terms of the debate about being the best player ever but on many people's lists he will never be top.

Ask any Atgentinian for starters.
Messi has bottled every single major international tournament and will never achieve Maradona's GOAT status - he is the greatest Argentina player to date

I've always had more time for Ronaldo, as good as Messi has been to watch. Early on in his United career it was clear to see he had a lot of talent, but I never thought for a single moment he would go on to become the player he is, or have the stats that he does, and I should imagine that goes for the majority of people. He clearly worked so hard to transform himself from the spotty, skinny teen who the wind blew over at times to a physical specimen. Messi was undoubtedly born with more God Given talent, but you can only respect Ronaldo's dedication to improving himself, both physically and in regards to his end product.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom