Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes he is. He's been playing world class football for X amount of years straight and at least five of those years he's been out of this world. A shame he ran out of gas in the World Cup (QF and forward).

Messi has made players like Xavi and Iniesta appear as secondary. When Messi is "poor" he's still world class or on its fringes (see World Cup 2014 for example). When he retires we will all be glad to have been around for his and Ronaldo's era. He will be talked about as one of the greats for years and years.

Good post and absolutely correct that the Messi/Ronaldo era will be sadly lost but not easily or ever forgotten..

True transcendents.

Yes he is. He's been playing world class football for X amount of years straight and at least five of those years he's been out of this world. A shame he ran out of gas in the World Cup (QF and forward).

Messi has made players like Xavi and Iniesta appear as secondary. When Messi is "poor" he's still world class or on its fringes (see World Cup 2014 for example). When he retires we will all be glad to have been around for his and Ronaldo's era. He will be talked about as one of the greats for years and years.
Bullshit. Without Iniesta, barcelona and messi cant win a CL ever since.

I am one of the few that like both Ronaldo and Messi. If I had to pick one to start a squad, I would pick Ronaldo because of his mentality. He delivers more and better under pressure. Having said that, I totally understand how someone could objectively pick Messi.

We are so lucky that two of the GOATs competed in this same era.

Is there any other player today capable of meeting or exceeding their standards?

He delivers more and better under pressure.
How you figure that one out?

Messi has more goals in finals, has more trophies, has more goals in El Clasicos, has got to more finals.

By what evidence are you basing this on?

Even the final Portugal did win, he had nothing to do with it.

Ronaldo goes missing in a lot of big games. He's also missed penalties in shootouts in both a CL semi final and final.

Genuine bottler.

Messi has more goals in finals, has more trophies, has more goals in El Clasicos, has got to more finals.

Ronaldo goes missing in a lot of big games. He's also missed penalties in shootouts in both a CL semi final and final.

Genuine bottler.

Five CL titles, including a three peat and four out of five. He was the top CL scorer in something like seven consecutive CLs, including several in which his team did not even make the final.

Five CL titles, including a three peat and four out of five. He was the top CL scorer in something like seven consecutive CLs, including several in which his team did not even make the final.
Scoring hat tricks against Partizan do a lot for one's stats.

Ronaldo has notoriously had real big bottling moments. To say his mentality is superior just isn't based in fact.

I'm a big fan of Brazilian Ronaldo, at his best, he's the best striker I've ever seen.
At his peak I put him number 2.

My favourite.

ronaldo milan GIF

Genuine bottler.
CR has 17 goals in CL semis and finals. Mess has less than half of that (only 8). Messi is good at beating the spanish farmers by 4-5 goals but goes missing in the important games.

Also Ronaldo is the all time CL topscorer and internationals all time topscorer.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Brazilian Ronaldo, at his best, he's the best striker I've ever seen.
For pure footballing talent i put him number 1. His ability was just ridiculous. He'd won the Ballon D'Or twice by the time he was 21.

If his knees hadn't been destroyed he would have set all the records that Messi/Christiano have done.

I never saw him play, but you have to mention Puskas in the GOAT discussion.

Olympic gold with Hungary and then got to the World Cup final (where he scored, but they lost), 84 goals in 85 caps (!!!)

3 European Cups with Madrid, 5 league titles with them (and 5 more league titles in Hungary). Club level goal scoring was 625 goals in 629 matches (wtf!??!)

The original Galactico - I also only just read that he joined Madrid at age 31. Incredible.

IMO it is impossible to pick between Messi or CR7 unless you have a fan bias towards one. I hate the debate between them, I just enjoy watching them both.

Messi is a better dribbler, CR7 is better with long shots, heading and his movement. They are both amazing and easily top 5 no matter who you ask.

CR has 17 goals in CL semis and finals. Mess has less than half of that (only 8). Messi is good at beating the spanish farmers by 4-5 goals but goes missing in the important games.

Also Ronaldo is the all time CL topscorer and internationals all time topscorer.
Don’t bite mate - everyone can see who’s the GOAT

What a miss in the last seconds. Harry Redknapp's missus Sandra would have scored that.
Nah. Sandra would have missed.

And so would Darren Bent....

It was remarkable though in that it's almost the first time I've seen Messi not control a ball perfectly.

Although I agree with you some on of the accounts I disagree that he's world-class even when poor. He's been poor in every WC he's played in - which is why most Argentian fans will always consider Maradona a better player. While Maradona to some extent could adjust to others .... Messi - like Cristiano Ronaldo - never managed that"skill": unless the team is tailor-made around him (Messi) and he's always the main *star* he turns into a rather ordinary player.
It also showed in that disastrous 0-4 defeat to Liverpool, when Messi was a non-factor.
Iniesta & Xavi are considered some of the best ever midfielders, and they're a major reason why Messi did so well: those 2 (plus Busquets as DM) controlled every single game they played together; and where the major reason why Messi scored so many goals. And they not only kept the ball in Barca's possession but also worked tirelessly in defense, covering for Messi - who (like Cristiano Ronaldo) rarely wanted to defend - which covered up for Messi's defensive flaws.
But, yes, both Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi will be considered among the world's greatest footballers

Back
Top Bottom