Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Id like to see Messi in a league or era where 90% of his opponents dont pull their pants down and stand there in awe while he waltzes through and scores 25 hat tricks a season...

And Ive never liked the "best player ever" thing....is he better than Lloris in goal, or Maldini in defence?

Doubt it

Id like to see Messi in a league or era where 90% of his opponents dont pull their pants down and stand there in awe while he waltzes through and scores 25 hat tricks a season...

And Ive never liked the "best player ever" thing....is he better than Lloris in goal, or Maldini in defence?

Doubt it
Couldn't agree more. In Maradona's era Messi wouldn't have got within 25 yards of the box. Oh lord, I'm starting to sound like my dad.

The 80s was definitely the best era for football.
2 quality world cups
An incredible selection of footballers:
Maradona, platini, zico, rummenige, boniek, Rossi, Socrates, van basten, dalglish, Hoddle, scifo, matthaus, cuelemens, blochin, giresse, gullit, Rush, lineker, souness, scirea, laudrup to name but a few
Quality euros in 84&88
all taking plce with brutal tackling, limited ref interventions, moderate pay, with terrible hairdos and unfeasibly tight shorts.

11069876_887920867920725_9196610680541725172_n.jpg

not the best at choosing friends with good taste for sure :paulinholol:

Doubt it

Like the champions league where he also rips teams from all over the world to shreds?

Like the champions league where he also rips teams from all over the world to shreds?

When players like Toure, Auguero and Silva suddenly start to think they are Charlie Adam, Andy Carrol and Andros Townsend when Messi and co are in town, its really hard to tell if Messi is the best the player this planet has ever seen, or if his reputation precedes him.

If some of the best DMs in the world respect him too much to chop him in half and put him 3ft in the air, like they would with another player who is 3ft tall and weighs 40kg, then the juries out for me.

I actually think Ronaldo is better. You can see his strength because people try and get at him, and you can tell when he is motoring and powering in for a header, where for want of a better word, Messi is more of a tiny dancer who people tend to stand off in fear of being made to look like a clown.

Anyone who can strike fear into an opponent enough to make them stand in awe and not play their natural game is the world's best for me.

When players like Toure, Auguero and Silva suddenly start to think they are Charlie Adam, Andy Carrol and Andros Townsend when Messi and co are in town, its really hard to tell if Messi is the best the player this planet has ever seen, or if his reputation precedes him.

If some of the best DMs in the world respect him too much to chop him in half and put him 3ft in the air, like they would with another player who is 3ft tall and weighs 40kg, then the juries out for me.

I actually think Ronaldo is better. You can see his strength because people try and get at him, and you can tell when he is motoring and powering in for a header, where for want of a better word, Messi is more of a tiny dancer who people tend to stand off in fear of being made to look like a clown.

I'm not sure I follow your point here. Is your argument that he's not so great because some of the world's best players don't try hard enough against him? Every time? If you watch enough barca you'll see that plenty of teams try to kick him and either can't get near enough to do it, or he rides the challenge and carries on. Look at that nutmeg he did on Milner the other night just as he was sliding in with a full blooded challenge. Just flicked it through his legs like he wasn't even there. There's no need to be cynical. Just enjoy watching a genius play the game.

Anyway. Personally I don't like trying to classify one player as 'the best.'
All I know is that when I watch Messi play, more often than not its like watching a magician rather than a sportsman.
The guy has unbelievable natural talent. Ronaldo is also a physical phenomenon and is 'better' at certain things. But messi isn't nearly as much as a physical specimen but still manages to be incredible.
He's also one of the few barca players that tries to stay on his feet despite getting fouled all the time.

Back
Top Bottom