Missing out on CL could be catastrophic for us

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son was signed when we were in the Europa League.

Yup, and Son is probably the best player we have signed in the last 5 years - and probably the only 'star' player bought in the last 5 years, arguably with Dele, the others have generally been 'ok' players or poor (eg N'Jie and N'Koudou).

We've missed out on several very good players who we could have got in those last 5 years - Robertson (LB) from Hull who cost Liverpool £8m and Gomez (RB/CB) who cost Liverpool £3.5m from Charlton - both young players who if Spurs had bought them would have solved both our full back problems to day.

And in the same transfer window that we bought Aurier for £25m, Leicester bought Perreira for the same money. One has conceded 4 penalties in the last few years (the most of any current PL player), the other has won their clubs Player of the Year.

So sadly it comes down to poor buying of players over the last 5 years - shown by the fact that the majority of Spurs first choice X1 at the start of this season was here before Poch arrived.

And that's with us being in CL for 4 years

The money is there to spend, so if we can identify good players (and that is the issue) we can buy players in January and the summer. But we do need to shift some of those 'ok' players bought in the last 5 years, particularly those overseas trained as we have our full quota of them already - not necessarily easy as we tried to shift Wanyama in the summer (£13m fee agreed with Bruges and £65k pw wages apparently but Wanyama turned it down) and Aurier attracted AC Milan attention despite being injured but nothing came of it.

A couple of Club trained and HG player spots available to the right players though.

And whilst I don't often post tweets from other club supporters :

Poch needed to have been playing many more of Spurs youth and/or loaning them out for experience over the last 5 years. That and poor buying is coming back to haunt us.

Change those 2 things and this may be a blip, but it certainly wont sink us

We are in better shape financially than most clubs our size. I think that will show in years to come. We will be more than fine

Absolutely. All the tight fistedness we have demonstrated may have held us back slightly in certain areas but one thing it has also done is protected us should we fail to get top four. We haven't blown our TV money or European qualification money on a big risk signing or two so the damage will be less felt, especially when you consider the revenue we will make with the larger capacity and the new pay back structure we have got ourselves.

Obviously it will hurt the club but let's be honest we are lucky to be in it this year after capitulating in the late stages of last season so I won't get too angry if we slip up this year or next etc. We are a well run club financially which always makes moments like this a little easier to deal with.

Last edited:
Years of underspending, not getting needed targets, profit making, no net investment and slowly bleeding this club and exhausting it to the point of collapse has well and truly finished this club imo. I don't think we'll see CL for years after this.

Why? Because teams around us have all spent heavily. Gone are the days of expensive clubs dominating the CL spots. Everyone is getting money now. And these clubs are spending the cash. Leicester are actually a force. There are mid table club that now retain players and can make some big purchases.

Spurs need new owners, not a new manager. Levys mentality is still stuck in 2009. The games moved on. Cute cheap deals aren't enough anymore. There's money throughout the PL and these clubs are attracting names they could never have got 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Personally, I think missing out on the CL would do us some good and shake things up a bit. We've turned into what Woolwich were 10 years ago; hanging on to the same old team, losing a bit of it each year and deluding themselves that everything was ok because they kept qualifying for the CL and their manager won them the league in 1898 and 1904.

Everyone thought it was over when Keane and Berbatov left in the summer of 2008 but it was just the beginning. We got into the CL two years later with a far less impressive strike partnership and a much better attitude within the squad. We learned that less can be more.

If we don't qualify for the CL, it will separate the players who want the glitz and glamour from the players who want to play for us and believe in what we can achieve. We'll come back stronger, with a very different team to the one we have now, and win the Premiership.

Best chance is to drop into the europa then win it for CL football. 4 losses already, I reckon we will lose 12 or more this season
Dropping into Europa would be terrible.

Don’t think this current team would have the drive to take it seriously and we would lose out on all that CL money. Plus it would make it even harder to get top 4.

If you went back a decade we have only spent 87million that's less than 10 million a year.

Something to be proud of.......not ashamed of!

Where is the ambition when you are being outspend by minnows Bournemouth??

Did Bournemouth build world class training facilities?

Did Bournemouth build a 1 billion pound stadium?

Levy is preparing the club for the next 25 years.

The target for this squad was to get regular European football and into the new stadium. That was achieved on a budget other clubs could only dream of.

We are now building a new squad and the old guard being shifted (Toby, Jan, Rose, Eriksen, Aurier, Wanyama, Lloris). We have spend 160m on players in the summer (Clarke, Sess, Ndom, Lo Celso), we have experienced players who still have many years to offer (Kane, Son, Alli, Dier, Davis, Lamela, Sissoko) and young players with excellent potential (Sanchez, Foyth, Winks, Skipp, Tanganga)

There are still more players than need to come it and yes, there may be some pain this season and next but every single team has a cycle for each squad - even Barca, Real, Bayern struggled during rebuilds.

I think it is fair to say that our club is the envy of world football.

It’s not just the money, even though the money is important it’s the pedigree of being a CL club that’s important. There’s no way we would get Ndombele or Lo Celso if we were not consistently in the CL...
One year is not going to change much in terms of perception. And Lo Celso and Ndombele are already here. Plenty of good players at lower level clubs across Europe. One year is a blip, two is a trend.

Still 84 points to be had this season so let’s not throw ourselves off the balcony just yet.

We’ve had successive four seasons of European Cup football. Have we bought a player in those four seasons that have made a long term consistent impact? We’re a clusterduck of a club top to bottom at the moment - board, manager, players most of whom don’t give a shit.

I'd really miss the CL matches, but I can't honestly say it'll affect our transfer strategy that much. We've barely made a top quality, CL level, first team signing in about 4 years; Ndombele probably the exception, maybe Moura at a push.
Leicester are the proof that with good scouting you can sign quality players with Premier League money and a bit of latent prestige.

CL alone doesn’t define a club.
Liverpool missed out on a few occasions recently..Didn’t do them any harm..
Of course CL defines for a club like Spurs. Because it will take us another decade to get top 4 again.
Please don't compare us to liverpool, they have won 19 or so English titles, European cups and including CL in 2004. We are miles behind.

Yes It will be catastrophic on all fronts. Disastrous.
The new stadium will be a ghost house.
We will need another 5-10 years to regain top 4 if ever.
We had the best chance in the last 2 seasons to capitalise on our position with manu, woolwich and chelsi weakened but didn't take advantage, thanks to the incompetent manner Levy is draining and running the club down.
We will be back to SAG days.
With C L income we struggled in the transfer market and players wages, imagine all that lost income.
What is the point of new stadium without CL.
Levy's project would have failed and JL will sack him or JL will sell the club. I hope.
All out top players will leave inc Kane and Son.

JL doesn't give a fuck if we are in the CL mate, this stadium is going to make him and ENIC money even if we languish in mid-table, NFL, concerts, highest ticket prices, will always be packed because of tourists.

Trust me, it's a money spinner regardless.

Years of underspending, not getting needed targets, profit making, no net investment and slowly bleeding this club and exhausting it to the point of collapse has well and truly finished this club imo. I don't think we'll see CL for years after this.

Why? Because teams around us have all spent heavily. Gone are the days of expensive clubs dominating the CL spots. Everyone is getting money now. And these clubs are spending the cash. Leicester are actually a force. There are mid table club that now retain players and can make some big purchases.

Spurs need new owners, not a new manager. Levys mentality is still stuck in 2009. The games moved on. Cute cheap deals aren't enough anymore. There's money throughout the PL and these clubs are attracting names they could never have got 10 years ago.
How can you go on to write a post that long when your very first line is a lie and a fallacy.

Did you see the game?
Did you see Ndombele get half an hour and Lo Celso get one minute.
I did.
I also saw Dele and Eriksen being shit and getting 90 and 88 minutes.

But in you and your ilks warped little minds, I guess that means we underspent.
If Lo Celso doesn’t get games, we finish 9th and he ends his loan, he’ll be called a cheap deal flop by people.
Yet it’s the disgraceful behavior of Pochettino leaving him out while the old guard continue to underperform that is the only problem here.

Why are you so fucking blind that our problems on the pitch now are NOTHING to do with the past windows and the ONLY thing that is obvious is that Pochettino just isn’t a very good manager in any other system than the 4231 press, and that’s the system he has chosen to abandon.

The guy has us in free fall, the same old bullshit every week about investment.

He played Eriksen in a covering RB role yesterday.

Let that fucking sink in.

How can you go on to write a post that long when your very first line is a lie and a fallacy.

Did you see the game?
Did you see Ndombele get half an hour and Lo Celso get one minute.
I did.
I also saw Dele and Eriksen being shit and getting 90 and 88 minutes.

But in you and your ilks warped little minds, I guess that means we underspent.
If Lo Celso doesn’t get games, we finish 9th and he ends his loan, he’ll be called a cheap deal flop by people.
Yet it’s the disgraceful behavior of Pochettino leaving him out while the old guard continue to underperform that is the only problem here.

Why are you so fucking blind that our problems on the pitch now are NOTHING to do with the past windows and the ONLY thing that is obvious is that Pochettino just isn’t a very good manager in any other system than the 4231 press, and that’s the system he has chosen to abandon.

The guy has us in free fall, the same old bullshit every week about investment.

He played Eriksen in a covering RB role yesterday.

Let that fucking sink in.

Hi there. We went an entire season last year without buying a single player. A first in premier league history.

Clubs that have spent more than us NET SPEND (gross spend means fuck all as you are losing key players like Bale Modric Walker and others in order to finance new players. That isn't progression)

over the past 5 years:

West ham
Leicester
Chelsea
Woolwich
Wolves
Watford
Man city
Man utd
Fucking Bournemouth
Fucking brighton
Aston villa
Everton
Liverpool

Had we not bought ndombele this season we'd be dead fucking last below the likes of Burnley and sheff utd a championship team.

If you went back a decade we have only spent 87million that's less than 10 million a year.

Sorry but ndombele has come 5 years too late. The damage has already been done to this club and current set of players.

Where is the ambition when you are being outspend by minnows Bournemouth?? How can you justify that. Its clear as day that this club is being bled dry by Levy who is only in it for the profit. Where is all the TV revenue from the Champions league since 2009? Where is all the PL TV revenue?

The players have had enough. They are sick of being severely underpaid compared to the rest of the league. As for pochettino, he took. Us to a champions league final and has qualified for CL every year. But at some point the worlds greatest blacksmith will not be able to produce quality work anymore if the tools he is using are broken and the steel is of poor quality.

A couple of Club trained and HG player spots available to the right players though.

And whilst I don't often post tweets from other club supporters :

Poch needed to have been playing many more of Spurs youth and/or loaning them out for experience over the last 5 years. That and poor buying is coming back to haunt us.

Change those 2 things and this may be a blip, but it certainly wont sink us

None of those kids have completed a full season + ECL campaign. History tells us they will likely burn out mentally and physically before the season ends. I'd be surprised if Chelsea's good form continues into the new year.

Remember, we have only played 9 out of 38 games. 29 games to go....plus domestic cup, europe etc....Its very early doors.

Back
Top Bottom