Most overrated Spurs players ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Scott Parker was voted our 2011-12 Player of the Season ahead of Bale, Modric, Van der Vaart, and the one season of actually trying Adebayor.

Parker was great, problem is his game was based on insane work rate and as he aged his body couldn’t keep up, we missed the boot on him a bit, if we had him from his Newcastle and West Ham years he would have been a legend with us.

Paulinho was on his day one of the worst players I have ever seen at this club and he was supposed to be a top line Brazilian international.

Parker was great, problem is his game was based on insane work rate and as he aged his body couldn’t keep up, we missed the boot on him a bit, if we had him from his Newcastle and West Ham years he would have been a legend with us.

I liked Parker, but if that's true, why did he spend all those years at Newcastle and West Ham? Why does he only have 18 caps for England? He's not a Carrick where the dummy coaches were just too retrograde to play him.

Yeah, he probably will, but he's had 8 appearances. Let's see if a Ligue 1 star can actually crack the Prem, still waiting for this to happen (and no Kante wasn't a star in Ligue 1 for Caen).

You don't need to play in the prem to be "proven" quality. Mendy is better than Rose and Walker, watched him a lot in France before getting to ManC. And I think Lyon's Mendy will be too.

I liked Parker, but if that's true, why did he spend all those years at Newcastle and West Ham? Why does he only have 18 caps for England? He's not a Carrick where the dummy coaches were just too retrograde to play him.

He screwed up, he went to Chelsea at a young age when they had Makele and Essien in their prime and fell behind having to work his way back up.

In terms of England it made no sense, at West Ham his performances more than justified being in the England team, particularly as we had no real DM like him.

Because he had Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard and Carrick ahead of him, all of who played for bigger clubs than him. This was an era where if you played for a lesser club, it was rare youd get in the team especially in a position like central midfield.

Once he finally came to us, he got the England caps consistently. Unfortunately, it was too late then.

Loved Parker. He complimented Modric brilliantly. In a team full of luxury with van der Vaart, he was an engine. He's a yid too.

I appreciate the detailed answer but WOW! Robertson, Shaw, Monreal, Cresswell!!!!! You are having a fucking laugh ain't ya? LOL

I said that Mendy doesn't count, he's made EIGHT PL appearances. He's a very good player but to say he's better than Walker and Rose in PL is absolute nonsense, let him play some games so that he can be measured and compared.

I'm a huge fan of Davies, he's been nothing short of fantastic for us, made all the more impressive by not being rotated every week (like Rose was, which enables him to recover and be dynamic for another game), but there is a void to our style when Rose isn't playing. Should Rose be sold? Yes he should, can't have someone like him going so off message (also think his mind not being at Spurs has something to do with a run of shit form) but Spurs are a better side to watch when Rose is LB.

The point is with some of those is, remember what you thought of Rose and Walker before Poch spent a year with them, now imagine what he could do with any of those mentioned. Cresswell was the most productive offensive LB in the PL last season I believe (need to double check that - but either first or second with Davies - and both were more offensively productive than any season Rose has had).

A big majority had just about finally had enough of Walker's constant waste and idiotic blunders the season Poch arrived.

Because he had Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard and Carrick ahead of him, all of who played for bigger clubs than him. This was an era where if you played for a lesser club, it was rare youd get in the team especially in a position like central midfield.

Once he finally came to us, he got the England caps consistently. Unfortunately, it was too late then.

Loved Parker. He complimented Modric brilliantly. In a team full of luxury with van der Vaart, he was an engine. He's a yid too.

Yeh also England managers where more about the best players than the best team. Playing Parker was the obvious choice for an England manager who wanted a balanced England team, instead it was more about how can we get Lampard on the same pitch as Gerrard and failed as such.

Parker should have played DM with Scholes in CM, Gerrard behind Shearer in the number 10 and Lampard on the bench.

Parker was a nice little player, I'd definitely find a place for him in the team now but I don't think he was necessarily a class act. There's always space for a player like him in top tier football however such a powerhouse when it came to his gutsiness and drive

Scott Parker in his first 6 months or so put in frankly heroic performances, given he had to do the work of about three players in midfield with VDV, Bale, and Lennon ahead of him, and pre-Madrid Modric wasn't the most diligent either. After that he had Achilles issues, decided to play through it for Euro 2012, made it much worse, and he was then done as a top level player.

Another I will mention is Robbie Keane..... Good "9 and a half", capable of some great off the cuff/flair moments and goals, that doesn't mean you're some maestro playmaker who can control the game and play where you want (often found pointlessly lurking in midfield - especially away from home - to no effect or help to his team mates). And this was indulged by several managers.

Scott Parker in his first 6 months or so put in frankly heroic performances, given he had to do the work of about three players in midfield with VDV, Bale, and Lennon ahead of him, and pre-Madrid Modric wasn't the most diligent either. After that he had Achilles issues, decided to play through it for Euro 2012, made it much worse, and he was then done as a top level player.

Another I will mention is Robbie Keane..... Good "9 and a half", capable of some great off the cuff/flair moments and goals, that doesn't mean you're some maestro playmaker who can control the game and play where you want (often found pointlessly lurking in midfield - especially away from home - to no effect or help to his team mates). And this was indulged by several managers.

I remember Parker getting MOTM for about 4 games in a row at one stage. Incredible..

Completely agree, was gutted when we didn't get him when he left Charlton - I might be wrong, but I'm sure I read he was a spurs fan as a kid too. At that time he was exactly what we needed - a busy cunt.

Think young Skipp has a bit of the Parker about him.

For an english player at the time, he had quite a continental flair about him, so picked up compliments. Not much else going on though.

I just remember him being a waste of a starting position. He had a bit of a resurgence at the end of his Spurs career where he played more of a DM role, but generally he's the glittering symbol of our 1990s mediocrity.

Back
Top Bottom