Most overrated Spurs players ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lennon, I really like the guy but in terms of ability he only seemed to have spurts of quality before fading out again for a long streak

26 goals in 266 league games....
Better than Walcott. Even my gooner punchbag admits that an in form Lennon was the better player.
I do wonder if Aaron was sporadically affected with mental health problems bearing in mind what happened at Everton? When he was on fire, he was unplayable. But he was a very streaky player in terms of form.

The point is with some of those is, remember what you thought of Rose and Walker before Poch spent a year with them, now imagine what he could do with any of those mentioned. Cresswell was the most productive offensive LB in the PL last season I believe (need to double check that - but either first or second with Davies - and both were more offensively productive than any season Rose has had).

A big majority had just about finally had enough of Walker's constant waste and idiotic blunders the season Poch arrived.
I've always rated Walker, go check in the Walker thread if you don't believe me. And as for Rose I didn't have a bad word to say about him, although I didn't rate him as highly as Walker.

A lot of if's buts and maybe's there mate. You can't judge a player on the basis of what a you might think a manager could do with a player. Cresswell is meh.

You don't need to play in the prem to be "proven" quality. Mendy is better than Rose and Walker, watched him a lot in France before getting to ManC. And I think Lyon's Mendy will be too.
I believe he will show his quality this season, but he has to show it. Looked a tad overweight last week and was the only player in the City team that was giving the ball away in dangerous areas, as you a drawn to the occasion when Walker made a mistake, why not Mendy's? He fucked up on the edge of his own box that lead to Woolwich having almost their only shot on target?

BC doesn't like Walker. Never has. Clearly the Sheik Mansour Team, who could buy any RB in the world, just bought him for a laugh.

Highly controversial statement coming up, but was Mabbutt overratted? I absolutely love the bloke, and he was definitely Mr Tottenham for a long time, but wasn't our defence pretty awful during the entire time he played for us? He was obviously better than the likes of Calderwood and Ruddock, but if we're going on ability I wouldn't rate him very highly. A fantastic ambassador for the club though.

Better than Walcott. Even my gooner punchbag admits that an in form Lennon was the better player.
I do wonder if Aaron was sporadically affected with mental health problems bearing in mind what happened at Everton? When he was on fire, he was unplayable. But he was a very streaky player in terms of form.
Think that's very likely to be honest, players don't just go from 100 to zero from one game to the next unless they pick up an injury or something which wasn't the case with Lennon.

BC doesn't like Walker. Never has. Clearly the Sheik Mansour Team, who could buy any RB in the world, just bought him for a laugh.

Highly controversial statement coming up, but was Mabbutt overratted? I absolutely love the bloke, and he was definitely Mr Tottenham for a long time, but wasn't our defence pretty awful during the entire time he played for us? He was obviously better than the likes of Calderwood and Ruddock, but if we're going on ability I wouldn't rate him very highly. A fantastic ambassador for the club though.

Thing is, they couldn't buy any FB in the world, they couldn't buy Kimmich for example, or Carvajal. They could only buy one that a poorer club was willing to sell them. And they weren't very creative about it. I accept there isn't a plethora of world class RB's out there, that still doesn't make Walker one, and he's not, he's not in the class of players like Lahm, Alves, Carvajal, Kimmich, Fabinho (as a RB), not even close, he couldn't even get a game at RB ahead of Trippier for England this summer, because Trippier is a more intelligent player stepping into midfield and forward areas. ManC definitely could have bought better than Walker, but I get why they did buy him, he definitely ticked boxes for a coach who demands his RB's to get up and down relentlessly, despite playing a back 4, had been schooled by a coach playing high line pressing football with FB's pushed up, and he's HG to boot, meaning they could go and buy Mendy, Gundogan, Silva etc.

And yes, in terms of overrated, you've probably hit the jackpot with Mabbut. Possibly the most overrated spurs player of the last few decades.

Pavlyuchenko he had a powerful shot otherwise he was dirge. People loved him
Freudlyuchenko Freudlyuchenko
tenor.gif

The Multi The Multi thank you for alerting me to this blasphemy

Pavlyuchenko he had a powerful shot otherwise he was dirge. People loved him
I've never voted for someone to be sin binned before other than maybe justin justin .

Throw your mind back to February 2010, Spurs chasing the Champions League,
21st February - Pavlyuchenko scores twice vs Wigan
24th February - Pavlyuchenko scores twice vs Bolton
28th February - Pavlyuchenko scores vs Everton
13th March - Pavlyuchenko scores twice vs Blackburn

Tottenham forwards over the last decade

1) Kane, 213 games, 140 goals - 0.66 goals a game
2) Defoe 2008 Onwards, 186 games, 79 goals - 0.42 goals a game
3) Pavlyuchenko 113 games, 42 goals - 0.37 goals a game
4) Adebayor 113 games, 42 goals - 0.37 goals a game
5) Bent, 79 games, 25 goals - 0.34 goals a game
6) Son, 139 games, 47 goals -0.33 goals a game
7) Keane 2008 Onwards, 52 games, 15 goals - 0.28 goals a game
8) Crouch 93 games, 24 goals - 0.25 goals a game
9) Soldado, 76 games, 16 goals - 0.21 goals a game
10) Janssen, 36 games, 6 goals - 0.16 goals a game
11) Gudjohnson, 14 games, 2 goals - 0.14 goals a game

Keane Overall, 306 games, 122 goals - 0.39 goals a game
Defoe Overall, 363 games, 143 goals - 0.39 goals a game

Pav played more games from the bench than Adebayor so I'm having him above him. Pav wasn't perfect but he's our 3rd best striker of the last decade and considering the only two above him our Jermaine Defoe and Harry fucking Kane it's not surprising that he's remembered fondly.

He routinely fucked things up, sure, he missed glorious opportunities and he never really got a chance but he occasionally produced pure glory - he embodied Spurs.

The Multi The Multi thank you for alerting me to this blasphemy

I've never voted for someone to be sin binned before other than maybe justin justin .

Throw your mind back to February 2010, Spurs chasing the Champions League,
21st February - Pavlyuchenko scores twice vs Wigan
24th February - Pavlyuchenko scores twice vs Bolton
28th February - Pavlyuchenko scores vs Everton
13th March - Pavlyuchenko scores twice vs Blackburn

Tottenham forwards over the last decade

1) Kane, 213 games, 140 goals - 0.66 goals a game
2) Defoe 2008 Onwards, 186 games, 79 goals - 0.42 goals a game
3) Pavlyuchenko 113 games, 42 goals - 0.37 goals a game
4) Adebayor 113 games, 42 goals - 0.37 goals a game
5) Bent, 79 games, 25 goals - 0.34 goals a game
6) Son, 139 games, 47 goals -0.33 goals a game
7) Keane 2008 Onwards, 52 games, 15 goals - 0.28 goals a game
8) Crouch 93 games, 24 goals - 0.25 goals a game
9) Soldado, 76 games, 16 goals - 0.21 goals a game
10) Janssen, 36 games, 6 goals - 0.16 goals a game
11) Gudjohnson, 14 games, 2 goals - 0.14 goals a game

Keane Overall, 306 games, 122 goals - 0.39 goals a game
Defoe Overall, 363 games, 143 goals - 0.39 goals a game

Pav played more games from the bench than Adebayor so I'm having him above him. Pav wasn't perfect but he's our 3rd best striker of the last decade and considering the only two above him our Jermaine Defoe and Harry fucking Kane it's not surprising that he's remembered fondly.

He routinely fucked things up, sure, he missed glorious opportunities and he never really got a chance but he occasionally produced pure glory - he embodied Spurs.

Yep overrated... there was a reason he was on the bench more than Ade, your response is perfect for showing how overrated he was / is. Putting him against our dirge strikers over the last decade does him no favours, difference is no one is trying to say Bent was good or Ade was particularly good, people champion Pav... hence overrated.

Last edited:
I said Bent was shit in another thread (4th on your list) no one bats an eyelid, if I said Ade was overrated (joint 3rd) no one bats an eyelid. I said Pav was overrated you had a meltdown. So people (i.e. you) rate him that much.
You haven't answered my question. He's overrated because people won't let you get away with calling him shit without evidence?

I'm don't rate him as a superstar or anything beyond Sandro level I just found him likeable who occasionally produced the goods when we need someone to.

You haven't answered my question. He's overrated because people won't let you get away with calling him shit without evidence?

I'm don't rate him as a superstar or anything beyond Sandro level I just found him likeable who occasionally produced the goods when we need someone to.
He's overrated because people rate him more than Ade, has overrated because people were demanding he gets on over Defoe (they were), he's overrated because he couldn't or didn't run, he's overrated because his touch was poor.

He had a great shot but he was always someone who we needed to replace while a lot of people thought he should have been a starter. The fact he is in the top 3 over the last decade is due to the fact we failed miserably to find a decent striker in that time.

I did answer your question he is rated loads more (your a case in point) than his peers who were also poor.

He's overrated because people rate him more than Ade, has overrated because people were demanding he gets on over Defoe (they were), he's overrated because he couldn't or didn't run, he's overrated because his touch was poor.

He had a great shot but he was always someone who we needed to replace while a lot of people thought he should have been a starter. The fact he is in the top 3 over the last decade is due to the fact we failed miserably to find a decent striker in that time.
He's only top three statistically the reality is probably different. People generally argue for the alternative player to be brought it in if the mainstay is misfiring as with Defoe. And because we were playing a 4-2-3-1 and some fans have the idea that because of Pav's build he was better suited to lead the line than Defoe who worked better in a 4-4-2.

I don't think anyone thinks that Adebayor on his day is not a significantly better player than Pavlyuchenko at his best.

Edit: whoops missed about the negative

Last edited:
He's only top three statistically the reality is probably different. People generally argue for the alternative player to be brought it in if the mainstay is misfiring as with Defoe. And because we were playing a 4-2-3-1 and some fans have the idea that because of Pav's build he was better suited to lead the line than Defoe who worked better in a 4-4-2.

I don't think anyone thinks that Adebayor on his day is a significantly better player than Pavlyuchenko at his best.
ta - they also thought he could lead the line, they overrated him on this characteristic too.

I don't think anyone thinks that Adebayor on his day is a significantly better player than Pavlyuchenko at his best.
i do, i'm completely convinced that Ade is a better player. I loved Pav though, but then again i'm a sucker for lost causes and sad cases lol, almost half of the players in this thread are my fav Spurs players :)

Back
Top Bottom