Mourinho Vs Pep

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is better

• Mourinho

• Pep

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pep is considered among the most influential, brightest footballing minds this century.

Mourinho has had a very successful career, that's all I can say about him. No legacy whatsover.
I think most coaches consider Jose to be among the most influential and brightest footballing minds this century. He has developed counter attacking football as much as Pep has Cruyffian total football.
I think people like to watch Pep-ball more than Mou-ball but that does not mean he has no legacy. Its like a football arms race. Defensive,organisational teams respond to great attacking teams and vice versa.

I think United will win things in their future without Mourinho at the helm, yes.

Just like I think Porto, Inter Milan, Chelsea and Real Madrid will continue to do.

Just like Jerry also believes Barcelona. Bayern and Man City will continue to do so without Guardiola.

Top managers tend to manage the best and most successful clubs - who will continue to win with or without said top managers.
You are talking horse shit. Stop it, go watch some snooker.

Weirdly enough, people in Porto seem to hold AVBs team in higher regard, the 2010-11 team is celebrated more. When I went to tour the Dragoa about 5 years ago, AVB had a much bigger section celebrating him than Jose.
But winning the CL in 2004 meant infinitely more than winning another Europa League in 2011.

Last edited:
what alot of people seem to forget, is that not only did jose finish second and won two trophies, but he also got to another fa cup final, where his team lost against contes chelsea, all this in two years.

Also by the time his man u team played sevilla in the champions league, he was having issues with pogba in the team.

I think most coaches consider Jose to be among the most influential and brightest footballing minds this century. He has developed counter attacking football as much as Pep has Cruyffian total football.
I think people like to watch Pep-ball more than Mou-ball but that does not mean he has no legacy. Its like a football arms race. Defensive,organisational teams respond to great attacking teams and vice versa.
Great point and - love it or hate it - seeing teams play defensively has brought up the entire standard of the European leagues so there are no ‘easy’ games anymore (case in point, Lyon yesterday).

It's a bit like the debate about philosophers vs engineers in academia. One side challenges established theories and twists and turns preconceptions and debate to showcase the sport in their way. The other side runs practical experiments until they find the optimal solution. And then they run without until they are forced to run new experiments.

Pep is a football philosopher. Even in defeat he will push for his brand of the sport. Jose is an engineer. He tinkers and experiments until he finds a working formula.

I am a big fan of Jose. So, I will vote for Jose because he has done it in more difficult scenarios than Pep has.

having said that, I respect Pep as a coach/manager a lot but it’s of a very different philosophy. Pep is more of a puppet master. He needs players of a certain profile and needs them to be submissive to his ideas. Anyone with a strong personality will end up being shunned by him. That is why you don’t see a strong personality like Zlatan or an Eto’o in his teams. He likes me players who bow down to his orders instead of free thinkers.

IMO, Jose allows more freedom and creativity by the players given they understand the intelligence of the tactical know hows of the game. Some would say he depends on individual brilliance. I would say he allows the players to express themselves while being discipline in how they read the game and manage the game from their responsibilities.

I think it’s worth pointing out that, although they had won everything, Barcelona were a bit of a shambles after Rijkaard’s departure. Pep did a complete rebuild and despite many pundits and fans questioning why he would let players like Yaya Toure, Eto’o and Deco go, he was vindicated when his team cleaned up in Europe and were even better than Rijkaard’s. Yes they had already won everything but were far from a steady ship when he took over.
What pep could do at barca , luis enrique could.
What pep could do at city, pellegrini and mancini could
What pep could do at bayern, heynckes could do better

So what's so special with pep ? He is all media hype , nothing more

NOT the question I asked you.

Considering Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer of all managers could pretty much get a worse Man Utd squad to a Europa League final tomorrow. I'd say it would be likely, yes.

I don't think Guardiola would have done any worse if he had taken over from FA Cup winner Louis van Gaal and spent the same £370,000,000.

Mourinho CL wins with Porto and Inter are more impressive than anything Pep has done. Pep took the Bayern team from Heynckes which was probably the most brutal machine around at the time (similar to the one now, maybe better) and downgraded them quite a bit, that was very disappointing what happened there. He has had the most talented team in the prem for a few years but keeps failing in the CL and it’s hard to judge his Barca time as he had the most insane talents around in Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

I think Mourinho has a more impressive record than Pep but Pep plays more stylish football. I can say Pep’s style has had an enormous impact but his achievement relatively to the players/money he has had is reasonable rather than exceptional where as Mourinho has achieved more with less but his methods can be boring to say the least.

The CL win with Porto certainly is.

I'm not sure Inter Milan really get the respect they deserve. They were a team full of footballing legends and world class talent. The performance against Barcelona was exceptional and showed just how good they were and this was Mourinho at his best.

I also don't think Guardiola gets the respect he deserves for what he actually done at Barcelona. He transformed them into arguably the greatest club side in world football. Which not only aided Barcelonas rise to success but his actual country too, seeing Spain dominate the international scene for 4+ years was pretty much off the back of what he had done to the game of football.

Yes, Barcelona were a big club long before Guardiola took over but he won the same amount of La Liga trophies in his 4 years there, then they had won in their previous 10 years. He won the same amount of Copa del Reys there in his 4 years, then they had won in their previous 17 years. He won the same amount of CL in his 4 years there, then they had in their 100 years history prior and they've only won 1 since.. (he left 8 years ago)

Again - I'd rather just appreciate both as two of the greatest managers instead of having to put two people against eachother like people do with Messi and Ronaldo. Just enjoy both and what they do for football.

Which manager would be most likely to get us a trophy? It's something that's evaded a lot of managers for a very long time. That manager wins the crown.

Fortunately, we at least get to put one of them to the test ...

That’s easy Mourinho, Pep would need players we can’t afford and even then it’s questionable what trophies we can win with any manager given our resources (I am referring to Prem and CL, we can win a FA or LC)

Back
Top Bottom