Mourinho Vs Pep

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is better

• Mourinho

• Pep

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think it’s really close between the two but what José did at Porto is absolutely amazing. Treble with a UEFA Cup one year and then the double with a Champions League the next. The tiebreaker may be who wins a Euro or World Cup if and when Pep manages Spain and José manages Portugal.

Both have managed clubs that tend to be the biggest or best financially (or quality wise) in the leagues they manage.

I don't think using the 'only managed top clubs' stick is a fair one though. They are elite managers, of course the biggest and best teams are going to want them to manage them.

Guardiola has won more - but you could easily argue that Mourinho has won more impressively (with regards to clubs managed).

Guardiolas teams have always played the better football - but then you could argue that Mourinho tends. for the most part, to get the best out of what he's got.

I think both have history of improving countless players and making them better and turning them into winners.

I think both should just be appreciated for being two of the greatest managers in football.
Mourinho won the treble with Porto, the ultimate underdog team.

That’s something Pep has never done, he’s always had an expensive top squad.

But having said that, I would rather watch Pep’s football over Mourinho’s any day.

Porto are one of the most successful teams in Portuguese football. Winning the league and domestic cups is no achievement.

But I've already said winning the CL with them, even with the horrific cheating, was a superb achievement. Monaco didn't stand a chance.

They went through Man Utd, Lyon, Deportivo and Monaco to win, and needed huge slices of luck at nearly every stage.

Man Utd had the wrongly disallowed Scholes goal.
Deportivo had their best CB Jorge Andrade sent off in the first leg for a nothing incident, he was badly missed In the 2nd. Monaco were without their injured captain and best player Ludovic Giuly (Went on to win with Barca in 2006 for the final.

Several of those Porto players went on to get big moves, achieved big things at club level and were the backbone of the Euro 2004 runners up and 2006 World Cup semi finalists. They certainly weren’t a flash in the pan.

Inter had several world class players and Mourinho put it together for a golden run. I believe he was at his absolute apex in 2010.

CL wise he absolutely failed at Chelsea, Madrid and Utd.

Pep created the best club side most of us have ever seen , they formed the backbone of the best international side that most of us have seen. His legacy in not just what he won but his coaching influencing the next generation. I do think as harsh as it sounds he didn’t achieve the ultimate objective.

I think this is all moot because £4£ Klopp and Simeone have been the best coaches over the past decade, and you’d have to throw Zidane in there too.

They went through Man Utd, Lyon, Deportivo and Monaco to win, and needed huge slices of luck at nearly every stage.

Man Utd had the wrongly disallowed Scholes goal.
Deportivo had their best CB Jorge Andrade sent off in the first leg for a nothing incident, he was badly missed In the 2nd. Monaco were without their injured captain and best player Ludovic Giuly (Went on to win with Barca in 2006 for the final.

Several of those Porto players went on to get big moves, achieved big things at club level and were the backbone of the Euro 2004 runners up and 2006 World Cup semi finalists. They certainly weren’t a flash in the pan.

Inter had several world class players and Mourinho put it together for a golden run. I believe he was at his absolute apex in 2010.

CL wise he absolutely failed at Chelsea, Madrid and Utd.

Pep created the best club side most of us have ever seen , they formed the backbone of the best international side that most of us have seen. His legacy in not just what he won but his coaching influencing the next generation. I do think as harsh as it sounds he didn’t achieve the ultimate objective.

I think this is all moot because £4£ Klopp and Simeone have been the best coaches over the past decade, and you’d have to throw Zidane in there too.

Simeone is so great coach but it's somewhat generous to put him that far up there.

Considering Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer of all managers could pretty much get a worse Man Utd squad to a Europa League final tomorrow. I'd say it would be likely, yes.

I don't think Guardiola would have done any worse if he had taken over from FA Cup winner Louis van Gaal and spent the same £370,000,000.

Clueless

Realistically second was the highest possible that season as Man. City were light years ahead of 'the rest' (100 points, won 85% of their league games.. Ridiculous).
Hang on.

Did you see the players Jose had and the money he spent?

De Gea, Mata, Martial, Rooney, Herrera and Rashford were all established players, he then spent another £420 millino to finish second?

What does that say about his purchasing?

Hang on.

Did you see the players Jose had and the money he spent?

De Gea, Mata, Martial, Rooney, Herrera and Rashford were all established players, he then spent another £420 millino to finish second?

What does that say about his purchasing?

Between 2010/11 and 2019/2020, Jose spent:

£913,000,000

And within that same period has managed the likes of:

Ronaldo, Kaka, Casillas, Benzema, Xabi Alonso, Higuain, Ramos, Modric, Ozil, di Maria, Cole, Terry, Cech, Lampard, Salah, de Bruyne, Hazard, Torres, Eto'o, Fabregas, Courtois, Matic, Diego Costa, Drogba, Falcao, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, de Gea, Pogba, Rooney, Martial, Carrick, Rashford, Sanchez, Lloris, Kane, Son.

He's won 0 Champions Leagues within that time and the domestic league twice.

Here's hoping he can win it all for us next year!

Players that have played under both;

Alexis Sanchez
Xabi Alonso
Cesc Fabregas
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Arjen Robben
Kevin De Bruyne
Samuel Eto'o
Eidur Gudjohnsen
Pedro
Maxwell
Claudio Pizarro

& Now

Hojbjerg & Charles Hart

Did Hart ever start a match for Guardiola?

Or did Pep take a look at his passing in training and immediately sign Claudio Bravo?

With regards to Klopp and Simeone...

Dortmund had no right to challenge Bayern but they did (and still do).

Altetico had no right to challenge the Barca/Real hegemony but they did (and still do).

Even Liverpool were a comparative bag of shite before Klopp joined them and are now among the best in Europe.

I don’t think it’s fair to judge on trophies alone, and I do wonder if Mourinho or Pep would have the tools to achieve what those two have. But on the flip side they have certainly won more at top level.

Both great managers, but I think Mourinho’s CV is more impressive. None of the clubs that Mourinho won things at were winners before he got there (except Real Madrid), whereas the clubs Pep has managed were all champions under different managers.

Last edited:
Its because, his football at Barcelona, crafted a massive era of football not just at Barcelona but for 🇪🇸 too..
You cant compare him to bloody mancini and pelligrini lol they havnt won the champions league but the last 4 years they have dominated the domestic competitions, whats it like 3 or 4 league cups in a row, league and cup treble the year before and should of maybe beaten us in the champions league..
Hes a great manager no doubt about that...

Back
Top Bottom