Mourinho Vs Pep

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is better

• Mourinho

• Pep

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love how the Utd squad is “worse” now than when Jose had it.

Wasn’t the mantra the other day that Pogba and Martial are better than they’ve ever been now, and that was used to slate Jose’s vision...
They also have an 85M CB so that must be good right?
Everyone wanted Wan Bissaka.....oh look he’s at Utd now.
Bruno Fernandes....yep you all wanted him too and slated the club for not signing him.

Same guy calling it a worse squad calling Greenwood one of the best prospects in Europe two days ago....
So out with Zlatan who didn’t play the EL final and the rest is pretty much the same players other than 4 players that people wanted us to sign.

LOL

I believe both are great managers, but neither are without their flaws. Over time it is looking like Pep would rather lose playing beautifully than win playing ugly, whilst we know Jose will do anything to win. I favour Jose as his achievements with Porto and Inter are better than Pep's achievements.

Pep's teams play attacking football that is frequently a joy to watch.
But after last night, the pattern is clear. The "heir to Cruyff", the "footballing philosopher", is a bottle job in the biggest matches.
If Pep is not prepared to stick to his philosophy when he has one of the most expensively & corruptly assembled squads in world football, plays De Bruyne as a right-winger, and picks all three of Gundogan, Rodri and Fernandinho leaving the creative sparks of Mahrez, the Silvas and Foden on the bench, then he's a coward.
Yes, a good manager should introduce tactics to counter the threat of a team like Bayern in their current imperious form. But Lyon?
FFS. If Shitty had their best players out there, playing the 4-3-3 formation they play week in, week out, they would have mullered Lyon. Or at least gone down playing creative, exciting, football.
I often find Mourinho's football boring to watch. But he is most definitely not a bottle job. And I would trust him to implement a tactical plan to beat better sides far more than I would Guardiola.
I can see Jose watching last night's clusterfuck with a huge and knowing grin on his face. Bring on next season's mind games.
:mourbringit::mourlmao:

Last edited:
By then Mourinho had De Gea, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Lukaku, Rashford, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitayaran, Lindelof, Bailley, Shaw and Rooney.

So are you saying Jose spent the money badly in comparision to Pep??
I'm saying that it was completely unthinkable that José or any other manager would finish above Man. City in 2018 with that United squad... City were light years ahead of teams like United, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool etc at the time so finishing second was a decent achievement... Certainly not failure.

Last edited:
Hang on.

Did you see the players Jose had and the money he spent?

De Gea, Mata, Martial, Rooney, Herrera and Rashford were all established players, he then spent another £420 millino to finish second?

What does that say about his purchasing?

Man city finished 4th in peps first season and spent how much to win the league by 100 points? Probably a billion? So yeh thats a great achievement, plus mourinho got to a qf champions league and fa cup final that year...
How much has ole spent on his man united team and how much more is he going to spend on sancho and other players to just challenge for the top 4?! People love to mock mourinho at united yet he achieved Probably the best any manager could with that group of prima donna players.
Plus he ed woodward had final say in tranfers and what they spend, peps going to spend at least another 500 million these next few seasons to beat Liverpool and fail in the champions leagur again...

Don't know, but one of them in the need demand players to fake injuries to avoid playing for their national teams in order to rest before face the other must say something.

I saw someone describe Pep as "Jose in a technicolor coat". And that is not far off.

Both developed their respective style of football beyond its previous limits, both serial winners, both divisive.
But Jose's achievements at Porto and Inter edges out Pep's CV for now.

Mourinho of course. Pep never took a challenging job in his career , he always got the best club available in each country and spend billions to add their strength. Barca was ucl champion when he came , bayern was ucl champion when he came , city was epl champion when he came . Meanwhile mourinho always came to a struggling club..porto hasn't won the league for years when he came , chelsea hasn't won for like 50 years , inter has been dominated by the likes of milan and juventus when he came , madrid were barca's bitch when he came, and everyone know what states united were and now spurs. I will only put pep above ole if he finally took a challenging job such as united and win with them under their current circumstances

I think they are both great, but certainly not flawless, managers.

giphy.gif

Which manager would be most likely to get us a trophy? It's something that's evaded a lot of managers for a very long time. That manager wins the crown.

Fortunately, we at least get to put one of them to the test ...

Pep is considered among the most influential, brightest footballing minds this century.
Literally, could never stand the guy: ‘brightest footballing minds’ - with his billion pound team never reaching CL semi-final? Having been absolute ‘also-rans’ against ‘no-net-spend’ Liverpool this year? It’s beginning to look a bit like he doesn’t have the tactical skill to win the most important games.
He’s not as abrasive as Jose, which is why he has lasted longer at clubs, but let’s not forget that BM have improved since he left; and that at City he has innumerable wealth with which to buy the very best players and still can’t get as far in the CL as we have with our apparently ‘champo’ level players. In fact, Redknapp got that far with one WC player and Peter Crouch!
PSG or retirement next for him as I doubt he’d want to take on a ‘lesser team’.
We should probably wait and see how Jose does here before we judge, but Jose has a wider range of achievements.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom