Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He played a near perfect game against Liverpool, but I still maintain that he should mainly be utilised as one of our AMs.

It shouldn't be Dier or Dembele. They've both been amongst our top performers this season. It should be Dier and Dembele.

With Mason, Lamela, Eriksen, Alli, Bentelab Poch has a good choice of midfielders.

Maybe give Pritchard the odd run out in the EL but can't see a future for Carroll!

So top priority for back up for Harry in Jan!

He was at his best offensively in Holland. In 4 years he scored 24 league goals.
I remember when Macleish was interested in Dembele for Birmingham from AZ, as a striker, when he had trouble getting Zamora from Fulham. £5m.
He scored 10 goals playing alongside El Hamdaoui when Van Gall played a 442 which won them the title. Mostly th tactic was to sit back and wait for the other side to over commit. Schaars would shield the back four. When the other side did over commit, they would send a ball either over the top or on the floor quickly to the speedy Dembele or El Hamdaoui.

Anyway he went to Fulham, who signed him as a striker if and who played him on the left but sometimes just behind the striker.
He scored 5 league goals and 5 assists in 60 games for Fulham.
He then comes to Spurs and is used as a central midfield player alongside a defensive midfielder, on the left and on the right. He has managed 3 league goals and 5 assists since he joined.
His injury hasn't helped because some of his speed and confidence has gone.
Maybe we need to play him more directly. At AK he used to just get the ball, dribble and then unleash a left foot shot, scoring was the only thing on his mind. But then we have Eriksen playing behind Kane.
Maybe that's why he seems to hold onto it too long because it's not his natural game to find that defence splitting pass?
I have seen the old Dembele once at Spurs. In a EL league game where he tore through the middle going for the return and ended up one on one with the keeper, but side footed it just wide. Would have been an outstanding goal.
Maybe it's also a bit different in the EPL than the Eridivisie.
When we have Son, Njie, Eriksen, Kane, Chadli, all available what place will there be for Moussa up front?
It'd be interesting to see how he is alongside Dier, Try to make him the box to box midfielder. Bursting forward form the midfield and scoring goals.
However, I just feel that we are not going to see the best of Dembele.
I'd like to see him in a 433 of
----------Dier-- -----
Mason ----------Eriksen,
----------Dembele-------
--Kane -----------Son---

Dembele cannot be judged on stats. Watching the way he casually stands on the ball, baiting people in before rolling his foot around it and ghosting past them can't be seen on a shitty bloggers heat-map.

Dembele cannot be judged on stats. Watching the way he casually stands on the ball, baiting people in before rolling his foot around it and ghosting past them can't be seen on a shitty bloggers heat-map.
There isn't much finer sight in a Spurs shirt then Dembele just walking passed players with ease as they struggle to even get close to him.

There isn't much finer sight in a Spurs shirt then Dembele just walking passed players with ease as they struggle to even get close to him.
But it's the bit after that where he often passes sideways or backwards that frustrates me so much. If he could pick a pass he'd be so good. I often get angry with him as I think he could offer more than he does.

Dembele is just another spurs enigma he takes risks and ghost pass people with ease he needs not be afraid to attempt the same risk with forward passes i think this changes if he plays higher but at cm i think its his responsibility not to lose the ball at all and thats the way he is thinking.

Somebody said it on the Pool game thread.

These types of games where possession comes at a premium, Dembele is extremely useful. For the games where teams sit back and we need make quick, timely decisions in tight spaces, Dembele seems to be counter productive. A tactical advantage really that Poch should leverage

These types of games where possession comes at a premium, Dembele is extremely useful. For the games where teams sit back and we need make quick, timely decisions in tight spaces, Dembele seems to be counter productive. A tactical advantage really that Poch should leverage
Spot on. He was excellent against Liverpool but if we played say Sunderland we probably would have a different opinion.

It's like the players are trying to actively troll the melts on here.

"Wah, we didn't buy a DM" - Poch puts Dier in and he becomes a rock.
"Lamela is fucking shit" - Plays a worldy against the title holders.
"We've got no cover at DM, Dembele isn't good enough" - MOTM performance.

:dier::lamelawtf::dembelewtf:
we cant beat the goons with this weak team.
oh

really like him. adds a physical presence too.
strangely i find he is more effective against the stronger teams rather than the weaker ones.

Stronger teams don't sit back against us that's why.
yeah u have a point there.

with his ability. can he be much better against teams who sit back & defend.

or will he just never be suited to that role?

yeah u have a point there.

with his ability. can he be much better against teams who sit back & defend.

or will he just never be suited to that role?
I think he's proven in the past that he can be effective against teams who sit back and defend but with our squad of players when everyones fit, I think the likes of Son, Eriksen, Kane, Lamela and even Alli are all better suited against those teams which means no room for Dembele.

YES! Awesome to hear that. We definitely need to keep him here.

Agree. But he has to cement his place. He is one helluva player, no doubt.

But, he has to stay fit & in contention. And he has to adapt to the way Poch wants us to play. Having the opposition chase you round trying to get the ball off you is great if you are 3-0 up. Moussa is probably the best I've seen at WHL at keeping the ball. He is unshakeable. It's the lack of genuine product that many people get anxious about. He can keep the ball but sometimes he doesn't look like he knows what to do with it. So it can look a bit slapstick with everyone running round trying to get the ball off him. His attacking option is either curtailed or lost in our system. Or it isn't an easy fit. It needs working out because he is a classy footballer as he showed against the scousers. It was an imperious performance & he was head & shoulders above anyone else. Getting the best out of him consistently is The challenge

Back
Top Bottom