Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't play computer games. No interest in them.
giphy.gif

Agree 100% that the management of the squad, including signing of too many average overseas trained players ( we are restricted to a maximum of 17 so for example having 3 overseas trained HG players is a waste of one valuable overseas trained player space) has got poorer since Poch joined.

I'd also agree that Sissoko at £30m was poor value for money as was Aurier (when Pereira was available for the same money ).

But we are where we are.

Sissokos contract was running out in June 2021, and with it being very possible we need to replace all or some of Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Rose , Wanyama (5 players and maybe one or two others) in January or the summer, we would be unlikely to add Sissoko to that list and make it longer. With player values decreasing where players have 2 years left on the contract, it become stick or twist - don't renew the contract and he goes for not a lot or issue a new contract and preserve value.

He's a strong lad with no history of long injuries so it looks like Poch has extended the contract as we need him for the short term to have the number of CMs we need.

Pragmatic in the circumstances.

He's not my type of player and I'd prefer to replace him with someone who can pass after breaking through the lines. And I don't want him to cause Skipps career to stagnate or (maybe next season ) for White and,,/or Bowden career to be delayed

So I hope as a quid pro quo that DL has made the point that theiri need to be more youth players coming through to both Poch and McDermott as that is a vital source of HG players that cannot be ignored.

Btw on the youth thread is news if a tie up with Brondeby which I hope is youth development related, and you might want to look at the Squad thread for info on contract lengths etc which shows how the Sissoko contract extension fits into the overall squad management.

You are not going to add value to a 32yo shit footballer by giving him a wage increase and extension, you are just narrowing your potential market. We’re basically doubling down on Poch’s fuck up which has already cost us 44m.

I have no faith at all in Poch being persuaded to make better use of the academy, if anything he’s got further away from that ethos.

I just pray his recent whining about no longer having as much say in recruitment is true.

You are not going to add value to a 32yo shit footballer by giving him a wage increase and extension, you are just narrowing your potential market. We’re basically doubling down on Poch’s fuck up which has already cost us 44m.

I have no faith at all in Poch being persuaded to make better use of the academy, if anything he’s got further away from that ethos.

I just pray his recent whining about no longer having as much say in recruitment is true.

Agree we won't add value.

But with a contract beginning to run down from 2 years left he's declining value. So by a new one it's preserving some value.

Think the other thing is that Poch wants to keep him as he's short of numbers at CM for the next year or so. If Poch has not identified a suitable replacement then keeping Sissoko is presumably thought to be his least worse option. Personally I'd have asked how Pochs relationship was like with Nabil Bentaleb as I think he'd be a better fit at Spurs and not expensive, knows Poch and a few players. But I didn't have a say !

Hope we have brought in someone to help with recruitment ( or even with the stadium built that Levy has more time with a team behind him to help with squad management issues), as I have posted before it's evident that Poch recruitment is not his strong point - evidenced by his using more players that were at Spurs before he arrived than those he has recruited.

Not sure I would have given him an extension either, but it’s done now. Hopefully our more technical midfielders recover some form and fitness so that Sissoko can go back to being used as a late sub against tired legs.

If you’re 100% honest, you will admit he’s looked ten times the player Ndombele has for us, other than the fact Ndombele can shoot and his one shot in 4 games went in

Apart from the shooting, being able to pass the ball, being able to control the ball, being able to tackle...er yeah, the same way Sissoko is ten times better than Eriksen eh Sammy...as ever your grasp of maths and the word "better" is pretty abstract.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom