Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which is not his job. I don't understand why people keep trying to criticize his offensive value, when he's clearly not used for that.
Im not criticising him as a player, Im not criticising Mourinho for picking him either.

But for you to argue that he is our most consistent passer is absolutely ridiculous. If any of our midfielders would play as conservatively as he does, they would match any pass consistency Sissoko can reach.

He does what he does, but it is not good enough, and he will be replaced if GLC and Ndombele can be fit at the same time. In the meantime I will continue to be frustrated whenever he plays, but still know it is what we have at the moment.

I'm probably the only one who thinks that Sissoko and PEH compliment each other.

Sissoko sits deeper and allows PEH to go on his occasional runs and do his more adventurous things, knowing that Sissoko is always in position and has the athletic ability to cover the ground behind him.
Of course, having 2 PEHs would be great but with our squad at the moment they fit well together.

I'm probably the only one who thinks that Sissoko and PEH compliment each other.

Sissoko sits deeper and allows PEH to go on his occasional runs and do his more adventurous things, knowing that Sissoko is always in position and has the athletic ability to cover the ground behind him.
Of course, having 2 PEHs would be great but with our squad at the moment they fit well together.
Of course you’re not!!

Sissoko compliments the whole side!!

Vinicius used to be a CB.... Should we judge him on that bass too?
Ffs people.

Sissoko was offensive midfielder HIS WHOLE CAREER.
HE PLAYED THAT IN TOULOUSE, IN FRANCE IN NEWCASTLE.

He suddenly isn't that?

Then, what is he? DM? CM? Cuz he's terrible at it.

I'm not a hater, I loved him that one season on Wembely, he was good. But, trying to find some stupi exuces for him, it's bit ridiculous when everyone is watching our matches.

Ffs people.

FFS nothing.....

Your comment: "He played as offensive player his whole fucking career." is simply false.

- 45 appearances as an AM in 6 years (227 games) at Toulouse
- 31 of those in one season (2009/10)

46/133 games as an AM for Newcastle:

7 on the wing in 5 years at Spurs:

screenshot-2020-11-10-at-17-59-02.png

^^^^Position????

He's a CM.. Deal with it.

FFS nothing.....

Your comment: "He played as offensive player his whole fucking career." is simply false.

- 45 appearances as an AM in 6 years (227 games) at Toulouse
- 31 of those in one season (2009/10)

46/133 games as an AM for Newcastle:

7 on the wing in 5 years at Spurs:

screenshot-2020-11-10-at-17-59-02.png

^^^^Position????

He's a CM.. Deal with it.
CM that doesn't control or isn't capabale making great pass. Quite something.

It's not hard to see why successive top managers pick him; he has the engine and stamina to cover lots of areas of the pitch when our FBs bomb forward. If football were all technical he'd struggle in league two but the fact he's consistently picked ahead of vastly more gifted players says everything.

I think we'd all love to see a MF3 that has GLC, PEH and N'dom but with Doherty and Reguilon being attacking FBs I'm just not sure Jose will want to have us that exposed to the counter.

He's not in the team to score goals or add much offensively and the sooner some people realise that the better.

It's not hard to see why successive top managers pick him; he has the engine and stamina to cover lots of areas of the pitch when our FBs bomb forward. If football were all technical he'd struggle in league two but the fact he's consistently picked ahead of vastly more gifted players says everything.

I think we'd all love to see a MF3 that has GLC, PEH and N'dom but with Doherty and Reguilon being attacking FBs I'm just not sure Jose will want to have us that exposed to the counter.

He's not in the team to score goals or add much offensively and the sooner some people realise that the better.

But he doesn't do that at all, it is just the same BS we are fed by Sissoko apologists all the time without any evidence that it is actually the case.

And why is it that we are so special that we need this? How do all the other teams manage to get by without a MF that does nothing out there except for supposed having a motor and providing cover (which again he does not do at all)?

Even if we are this special butterfly that needs this role that nobody else does, why that role need to be filled by someone who is completely useless with the ball? Which other top team routinely starts a player that is so awful on the ball and offers nothing off the ball?

Even the defensive MFer's on the top teams are better with the ball at their feet- Kante, Rodri, Fernandiho, Fabinho, Ndidi are all so much better with the ball at their feet. Maybe I am missing someone but is there a MF for a top team that is so useless playing the ball as Sissoko? And he brings nothing positive to offset that lack of ball playing skills.

If he was a world class defensive midfield, maybe you could excuse his lack of skill, but he isn't close to that and we can see with the players listed above top defensive MFer's can play the ball as well.

He doesn't provide cover for the FB's, his motor doesn't benefit our team in any way and he constantly limits what we can do going forward and hurts us when pressed that he really offers zero to the team.

To coin a phrase used a lot in the NBA - he is a 'Role Player'

A guy that has no real specific job or influence in the general play, but still is an asset in the team doing the hard yards and nothing spectacularly well.

Glad to see we have some posters here who have a better understanding of the game than Poch, Mourinho, and Deschamps. We're in esteemed company, gentlemen.

- 1.85 players tackled per 90, less than Aurier, PEH, Lamela, GLC, Sanchez, Winks
- 1.48 tackles won per 90, less than Lamela, PEH, Sanchez, about same as GLC

The first list isnt necessarily a great thing to try out too many tackles. As a CM , its how successful they are with the tackles thats more important so they dont leave holes when they fail with a tackle and get taken out of the game. (all in my opinion of course)

So when Winks tries 2.41 tackles and wins only 1.03 (only 42%) he puts us in a lot of trouble compared to Sissoko who tries 1.84 tackles and wins 1.48. (which is an 80% success rate , almost ridiculously good).

The stats are fromthe website you linked. Obviously these stats arent complete as they dont show how many of the tackles were standing tackles and sliding tackles. But we've seen Winks sliding around winning nothing and being taken out of the game a lot of times while Sissoko stays on his feet and jockeys opposite players into a corner or wins the ball without sliding around.

Just a little comparison PEH's tackling success is at 57% and GLC at 50%. Just making a point that Sissoko does a decent ball winning job.

Back
Top Bottom