Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Again your a fucking weirdo who tries to pretend they know stuff about football when it's obvious you've never played the game at any level and was bullied at school
But because you went to spurs in the 70s you think you should have some respect
You don't your weird and if you are sticking up for igula that shows how weird you are tosser

fucking div

200.gif

Cunt off!!!

Good post
I just feel players are going to get hard time no matter what they do and I think certain players really get picked on
They are, yes. But pointing out their flaws on here isn’t the biggest deal. I’d be stunned if any player wanted to open the Pandora’s Box of football forums to find out what posters think of them. It’s more fans in the stadium I have issue with. When fans are allowed back in and when I can next get down there, if Sissoko is on the pitch, I’ll scream support for him until my lungs bleed. But there’s a lot won’t be able to hide their frustration and exasperation when yet another forward move breaks down due to his inability to either find space or use the ball well.

We do seem to be one of the worst “in the stadium” fanbases for this, along with Man Utd. That whole stand sigh when something doesn’t work out. It’s maybe why we are doing well this season, as we don’t have the collective groan when something imperfect happens on the pitch.

I honestly thought this would help Sissoko this season, but alas, he’s not run with the chance he’s been given. And he’s got a few seasons of downright mediocrity to make up for too, before the fans will give him credit for playing well, if he does ever turn it on.

Again your a fucking weirdo who tries to pretend they know stuff about football when it's obvious you've never played the game at any level and was bullied at school
But because you went to spurs in the 70s you think you should have some respect
You don't your weird and if you are sticking up for igula that shows how weird you are tosser

You are so angry, football is supposed to be fun to follow not as angry as you make it out to be.

Coming to a message board is voluntary thing, to have so much anger when here can't be a good thing. I mean if it works for you I guess that's a good thing, but not sure why you need to spend so much time worrying about other posters and not about the actual team that you supposedly support.

Seems Sissoko is being undervalued and overvalued all at the same time. He'll be useful for helping to track the likes of De Brunye, Sterling, Mane, Barnes etc over this tough run. By far his most useful feature is covering for wing backs and shadowing ball carriers to snuff out counter attack. He's also hopeless at lots of things and turns us into a long ball team for large stretches of games. I love Ndombele but he does need to step up a little physically and play safer if he's to take up Sissoko's position to Mourinho's satisfaction.

When he's shit he's woeful. Anybody with some time on their hands rewatch the game vs man utd.PEH got all the plaudits and he was outstanding just take notice of sisokkos performance. When he plays well there's a very useful player in there.

While Sissoko does have some positive attributes (more so in those big tilts where you need his physical defensive presence), his lack of technical ability seems to be counter-productive to Spurs attack in the type of games like West Brom today. In that second half, he had acres of spaces on two occasions in a dangerous position right in front of the box. He really can't shoot nor make a forward pass and ends up making a side-pass and back-pass on both occasions. He seems like a given in the spurs s11 these days which seems unwise and while I appreciate the continuity of a starting 11, having flexibility based on your opposition should be on a managers mind. Especially with the Prem and how important those MF players provide that link from the back to the attack.

Last edited:
When he's shit he's woeful. Anybody with some time on their hands rewatch the game vs man utd.PEH got all the plaudits and he was outstanding just take notice of sisokkos performance. When he plays well there's a very useful player in there.
Sissoko is definitely useful in those big tilts where Spurs have less possession and need his physical attributes to re-gain possession. But in a majority of Spurs games, where Spurs have a majority of possession vs an opponent sitting back, he offers almost nothing for me. Lo Celso should be a given ahead of him in these types of games and Jose needs to rotate better between the two depending on opponent.

I've accepted he'll start most games until we can sign someone better because we don't have any better options...unless Jose trusts GLC and Tanguy to play together in a 3 with PEH.

I know fitness is used as the reason to explain why that hasn't happened thus far. I'm not so sure myself i think Jose likes Sissoko in there so he'll be a starter until we can sign an upgrade. Someone like a prime Essien would fit right into that midfield like a glove and instantly improve us.

Is this what a new supporter is? I went to my most spurs games in the 90s and I can honestly say in the pubs after the games even though the players we had were not very good there was never this slagging off non stop of players
Yes even with players like Fenwick and Howells or going back Paul Miller
They gave 100% but were limited

I've accepted he'll start most games until we can sign someone better because we don't have any better options...unless Jose trusts GLC and Tanguy to play together in a 3 with PEH.

I know fitness is used as the reason to explain why that hasn't happened thus far. I'm not so sure myself i think Jose likes Sissoko in there so he'll be a starter until we can sign an upgrade. Someone like a prime Essien would fit right into that midfield like a glove and instantly improve us.
Agree with that and fair comments.
Stating his limitations without slagging him off.

I'm guessing that we'll have to wait for the summer TW to see an upgrade.

They are, yes. But pointing out their flaws on here isn’t the biggest deal. I’d be stunned if any player wanted to open the Pandora’s Box of football forums to find out what posters think of them. It’s more fans in the stadium I have issue with. When fans are allowed back in and when I can next get down there, if Sissoko is on the pitch, I’ll scream support for him until my lungs bleed. But there’s a lot won’t be able to hide their frustration and exasperation when yet another forward move breaks down due to his inability to either find space or use the ball well.

We do seem to be one of the worst “in the stadium” fanbases for this, along with Man Utd. That whole stand sigh when something doesn’t work out. It’s maybe why we are doing well this season, as we don’t have the collective groan when something imperfect happens on the pitch.

I honestly thought this would help Sissoko this season, but alas, he’s not run with the chance he’s been given. And he’s got a few seasons of downright mediocrity to make up for too, before the fans will give him credit for playing well, if he does ever turn it on.
That’s not right though

The fans did appreciate him turning it around not so long ago and chanted his name at Wembley

Sadly he hasn’t progressed as much as I would have liked and he’s now a squad player at best but it seems José can use him so I’ll stick with his opinion

Just some on here have a blind hatred for him which is wrong

When he’s in our shirt we should try and get behind him no matter what

All players make the odd cock up
Look at Sonny yesterday for example

That’s not right though

The fans did appreciate him turning it around not so long ago and chanted his name at Wembley

Sadly he hasn’t progressed as much as I would have liked and he’s now a squad player at best but it seems José can use him so I’ll stick with his opinion

Just some on here have a blind hatred for him which is wrong

When he’s in our shirt we should try and get behind him no matter what

All players make the odd cock up
Look at Sonny yesterday for example
I’d suggest he stopped being poor and became average, but stuck out in a season where most looked like they couldn’t give a shit. And coupled with this, he does seem like a fun and lively guy to have around the place - a big pull for the fans of the club.

I do agree he has a place in the squad and said as much in my prior posts. Also said that saying he is playing poorly on here doesn’t mean I wouldn’t support him to the skies if I were at the ground. And as you’ve said, if Jose thinks he’s worth a place in the side, I’m 100% fine with that. The man knows massive amounts more about the game than I do.

I’d suggest he stopped being poor and became average, but stuck out in a season where most looked like they couldn’t give a shit. And coupled with this, he does seem like a fun and lively guy to have around the place - a big pull for the fans of the club.

I do agree he has a place in the squad and said as much in my prior posts. Also said that saying he is playing poorly on here doesn’t mean I wouldn’t support him to the skies if I were at the ground. And as you’ve said, if Jose thinks he’s worth a place in the side, I’m 100% fine with that. The man knows massive amounts more about the game than I do.
Me too
More than anybody on here that’s for sure!

Massive appointment for us

He can't pass , tackle , jump , shoot or control a football

Sigh.

He is literally our most consistent passer aside from Bergwijn (and Vinicius who has 1 single pass):

2020-11-09%20(3).jpg

When it comes to tackles, he is pretty much on par with our back line:

2020-11-09%20(1).jpg

And he is also responsible for the 2nd-highest number of interceptions:

2020-11-09%20(2).jpg

In addition he has rather excellent ball control technique, which is precisely why he's been dispossessed less than PEH, Ndombele, Gio and our entire front line.

2020-11-09%20(4).jpg

So, if someone still doesn't understand what he does, what value he brings, or why Jose picks him, then I don't know what else to tell you boys, other than to stop basing your assessments upon "naked eye" analysis, since that is frequently a load of absolute bollocks.

Let the cunt off begin.

Last edited:
😅No cunt off from me, but I'm confused by where you're seeing those stats (maybe they're in the spoilers, those are all showing up blank for me for some reason)? I don't particularly hate Sissoko and I think it's worthwhile to have different views of a player's value in a team (there is probably a good reason why managers keep picking him, he follows instructions like covering the FB well, and I've seen him slowing down opposition attacks without tackling/intercepting in a way that shows up in the stats) but on fbref I see (ignoring the likes of Dele Stevie and Vinicius because they haven't played enough):
- 1.85 players tackled per 90, less than Aurier, PEH, Lamela, GLC, Sanchez, Winks
- 1.48 tackles won per 90, less than Lamela, PEH, Sanchez, about same as GLC
- 0.74 interceptions per 90, less than Aurier, Moura, ignoring Dele and Bale but this is relatively good
- 14.4 presses per 90 (4.8 successful), less than GLC, Ndombele, Lamela, Aurier, Sonny, Moura, PEH, and a bunch more (interestingly Ndombele has the highest successful presses, right up there with Lamela)
- 1.3 blocks per 90, less than Aurier, Doherty, Reggie, Ndombele, Toby, Bale, Winks
- in terms of % passes completed, he's the same as PEH on top (90%), but I think there's a critical difference in every other factor of passing:
- PEH has double the total distance covered (1387 vs 767), double the progressive distance (367 vs 147), nearly double the passes completed (72 vs 43), touches (90 vs 55), carries (63 vs 35), and receiving passes (69 vs 40) per 90.

Those passing stats are the fundamental issue for me, because he doesn't have to be creative or super technical, certainly no more so than PEH, but a CM for me always has to be getting some touches on the ball, even if they're just the most basic destroyer. But Sissoko's not a destroyer or presser who wins the ball and gets it to our more creative CMs, and he's also not a ho-hum passer who can at least help us keep the ball. He's literally just ... not getting on the ball, our own players avoid passing to him. We are playing with literally two legs of the triangle and wondering why we keep getting overrun in midfield in so many games this season.

The other thing that I think having a player with his weakness in passing exposes is that every team knows they can just ignore him. As the video I shared in the match thread mentions, everyone knows to just focus all their attention on Ndombele and Kane because they're our primary (and only) real creative threats:

Stop those two, and you stop Bale and Sonny. I think that makes it even more critical to have someone who, even if they are not a traditional creative playmaker, is at least mobile, technical, and skillful enough to offer a press-escaping outlet and attract some attention from the opposition so that Ndombele can get some breathing room. It is unfortunate that GLC has not been fit this season, and perhaps it is simply the case that we don't have good alternatives to Sissoko right now, but I really hope it is a position we look at closely within the next two transfer windows because I can't fathom that it is *that* difficult to find an upgrade on what he does while offering more in possession.

Sigh.

He is literally our most consistent passer aside from Bergwijn (and Vinicius who has 1 single pass):

2020-11-09%20(3).jpg

When it comes to tackles, he is pretty much on par with our back line:

2020-11-09%20(1).jpg

And he is also responsible for the 2nd-highest number of interceptions:

2020-11-09%20(2).jpg

In addition he has rather excellent ball control technique, which is precisely why he's been dispossessed less than PEH, Ndombele, Gio and our entire front line.

2020-11-09%20(4).jpg

So, if someone still doesn't understand what he does, what value he brings, or why Jose picks him, then I don't know what else to tell you boys, other than to stop basing your assessments upon "naked eye" analysis, since that is frequently a load of absolute bollocks.

Let the cunt off begin.
Our most consistent passer?
If there was ever an example for why statistics have to be analysed very carefully...

You can't take a players stats in isolation and make out what he brings to the team.

When Sissoko comes into space in front the opposition's penalty box. The opposing defence don't have to:
1. Track forward runs - because he will not attempt any through balls
2. Track Sissoko - because he wont dribble
3.Cover for his shot - because he won't shoot, and if he does no problem...

So basically they don't have to care and can retain shape.

Mourinho of course knows this, and uses him in other ways. But let's not pretend that Sissoko is much else than a stop gap. I like Sissoko, but he is very frustrating and I long for the day we won't have to use him.

😅No cunt off from me, but I'm confused by where you're seeing those stats (maybe they're in the spoilers, those are all showing up blank for me for some reason)?

I'm not sure why they're blank, but I got my stats from https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/30/Show/England-Tottenham

But, let's go by your source, if you'd like:

- 1.85 players tackled per 90, less than Aurier, PEH, Lamela, GLC, Sanchez, Winks
And if you look at the Tackles Won column right next door, you'll see that Sissoko has the best success rate for tackling in the entire team, alongside Sanchez. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a player who gets it right than goes flying in unsuccessfully.

- 0.74 interceptions per 90, less than Aurier, Moura, ignoring Dele and Bale but this is relatively good
But in sheer numbers he has the joint most in the entire team, which is kind of more important. Otherwise, you might as well say he's better than PEH, since he has more "per 90".

- 14.4 presses per 90 (4.8 successful), less than GLC, Ndombele, Lamela, Aurier, Sonny, Moura, PEH, and a bunch more (interestingly Ndombele has the highest successful presses, right up there with Lamela)
But again, if you look at actual pressing success rate, you find that Sissoko is ahead of everyone except PEH and Ndombele,

- 1.3 blocks per 90, less than Aurier, Doherty, Reggie, Ndombele, Toby, Bale, Winks
Again with the "per 90". Instead, look at per minutes played, and you see a better picture. Not only that, but when you refine it down to blocking shots you see that only the back line (and Kane) have blocked more. I consider this quite good actually.

- in terms of % passes completed, he's the same as PEH on top (90%), but I think there's a critical difference in every other factor of passing:
And in the role that they play. PEH has been our center of the field metronome, whereas Sissoko has sat back and protected the backline, as the other stats show. Far from having a deficiency in passing, Sissoko is actually the most efficient passer in the team alongside PEH.

Those passing stats are the fundamental issue for me, because he doesn't have to be creative or super technical, certainly no more so than PEH, but a CM for me always has to be getting some touches on the ball

But why? He's used more to protect the back line, hence his superior blocking and tackling stats compared to everyone except the back line.

But Sissoko's not a destroyer or presser who wins the ball and gets it to our more creative CMs
Why do you say that? He wins the ball a lot, destroys a lot of opposition attacks, and supplies the ball to PEH or Ndombele, whichever is partnering him. You're saying the exact opposite of reality. In addition this, he also has one of the lowest 'dribbled past' stats in the team, which is fairly clear that his zonal presence is another factor here.

He's literally just ... not getting on the ball,
Because that's not his job. He job is to watch the opposition and prevent them from doing what they want. He protects the back line.

our own players avoid passing to him. We are playing with literally two legs of the triangle and wondering why we keep getting overrun in midfield in so many games this season.
I don't agree that we are. In fact I've noticed how much trouble teams have getting through our midfield, which is why they frequently have to try bypassing it with long balls or wing-play. That's actually a strong testament to the solidity of our midfield, who are rarely outplayed and have not yet been overrun the entire season.

The other thing that I think having a player with his weakness in passing
Again, this simply the opposite of reality, in which he is literally the second-most efficient passer in the team.

perhaps it is simply the case that we don't have good alternatives to Sissoko right now,
Personally I think it is the case that he's far more valuable at what he does than most people realize, but thankfully Jose knows what he has on his hands and uses him well. He's not the player type you want him to be. He's not a Kante. He's basically a replacement instead for Sandro, and he's good at it.

Let the rest of the team worry about being 'creative'. I'm happy watching Sissoko frequently be in the right place at the right time to intercept a pass, block a shot, tackle a player and otherwise patrol the zones to ensure that the opposition can't go through him.

The mistake under Poch was trying to turn him into a winger. Once Poch settled into a partnership of him and Winks in the centre, Sissoko suddenly became one of our best and most important players.

Back
Top Bottom