Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Everyone seems to ignore this point every time bus-conductor bus-conductor mentions it

There is a direct correlation between us going from title challengers to midtable fodder without an away win in almost a year when Poch left and Sissokos growing number of appearances in the "heart of our midfield" over that time period

It would be harsh and incorrect to put all of that on him but he is a big part of it , he simply isnt good enough

It doesn't get missed. It's because Blakey doesn't express it in those terms (perfect example being his league points post).... He expresses it in terms that Sissoko is shit therefor X and gives no heed to the absence of those he replaced or why. Further, he (and others) are waging a one-way war with the unargued notion that MS is an amazing, highly talented player even though it's conceded that he is limited.

Denying MS the credit he deserves even when he has contributed excellently at times is bogus.

Anyone that denies Sissoko's contribution to us reaching the CL final is merely blinded by bias.

Last edited:
Sorry for the 3rd post in a row, but I have a question for you: which games this season have NOT featured Sissoko as a starter, or in fact at all?

Everton (on at half time)
Newcastle (didn't play)
Rapid Vienna (didn't play)

What happened in those games? Why is our form better when he starts?

Oh come on.

He came on at HT against Everton when it was 0-0 and we ended up losing 1-0.

He didnt start against Newcastle or play any minute but a bullshit penalty call cost us that game. Not having no Sissoko.

You didn't even mention the fact we had no Sissoko for Southampton and we won 5-2.

Bloke has 4 players around him and not a single teammate showing for the ball.
Strange how often he finds himself surrounded by opposition players. Can only think of two reasons:

1. He’s hiding from the ball.
2. The oppo know there’s a shit touch coming up and a chance to steal the ball.

I’d suggest it’s a bit of both.

It doesn't get missed. It's because Blakey doesn't express it in those terms (perfect example being his league points post).... He expresses it in terms that Sissoko is shit therefor X and gives no heed to the absence of those he replaced or why. Further, he (and others) are waging a one-way war with the unargued notion that MS is an amazing, highly talented player even though it's conceded that he is limited.

Denying MS the credit he deserves even when he has contributed excellently at times is bogus.

Anyone that denies Sissoko's contribution to us reaching the CL final is merely blinded by bias.
He is obviously limited which is why he shouldn't start the majority of games, but it's those same limitations that make him such a problem vs the better teams,

*made the driving run which led to Eriksen's winner vs Inter

*overpowered the Dortmund midfield in the first leg, assist for Kane in the 2nd leg

*helped stem the ajax tide in the first leg when he came on, overran them in the 2nd half.

For club and country, his coaches and team-mates love him. Glue guys like Sissoko are important.

Strange how often he finds himself surrounded by opposition players. Can only think of two reasons:

1. He’s hiding from the ball.
2. The oppo know there’s a shit touch coming up and a chance to steal the ball.

I’d suggest it’s a bit of both.
its funny you say this because he's normally good at escaping the press, despite his obvious defects.

its funny you say this because he's normally good at escaping the press, despite his obvious defects.
Oh, there’s certainly times I’ve seen him scamper 40 yards up the field to relieve the pressure on us. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but also has firm elements of truth in it. He does normally seem to be the most marked player on the pitch and I can’t think of any reasons for this other than the ones I offered.

Jose fucked that up on the basis of who he took OFF.... At 0-0 he took creativity off and brought on grafters.

Of course.

And Im not blaming Sissoko for the Everton loss. Its just weird to even use that game in an argument.

Would be like saying we are better off workout Ndombele because it was 1-1 when we took him off against Southampton and when we took him off won 5-2... Or we were 1-0 up against Newcastle when he came on and drew 1-1.

Of course.

And Im not blaming Sissoko for the Everton loss. Its just weird to even use that game in an argument.

Would be like saying we are better off workout Ndombele because it was 1-1 when we took him off against Southampton and when we took him off won 5-2... Or we were 1-0 up against Newcastle when he came on and drew 1-1.

I'm not sure it would tbh..

Without the alleged hinderance of Sissoko why did we not stroll past Newcastle?

Because their goalkeeper played a blinder?

I can't remember Lloris having to make a single save.

But what about the smaller margins in gameplay over the 90?

....Those same margins that would inevitably be brought into play when critiquing MS's contribution to a teams performance?

Case in point; only a page or two back we've got people criticising him not having the skillset of an AM and lacking creativity.

The flipside being perhaps we'd have ridden out that late pressure better with a more robust player on the field instead of Winks (not that my point is to scapegoat him either).

Last edited:
Oh, there’s certainly times I’ve seen him scamper 40 yards up the field to relieve the pressure on us. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but also has firm elements of truth in it. He does normally seem to be the most marked player on the pitch and I can’t think of any reasons for this other than the ones I offered.

He absolutely does put himself in positions where he can't receive the ball. Whether it's a tactical thing from the team because we don't trust Sissoko with the build-up I don't know. But it does put a huge amount of pressure on his CM partner to show and cover a lot of ground to create passing lanes so we can progress through the middle.

Everyone seems to ignore this point every time bus-conductor bus-conductor mentions it

There is a direct correlation between us going from title challengers to midtable fodder without an away win in almost a year when Poch left and Sissokos growing number of appearances in the "heart of our midfield" over that time period

It would be harsh and incorrect to put all of that on him but he is a big part of it , he simply isnt good enough
Harsh and wrong imv

In the same way that he was responsible for Pardew's MOTY award, Poch's title challenge, or our CL run you mean?

My point is, a whole bunch of teams and managers haven't exactly been better off for employing Sissoko have they. I have just tried to rebut that bogus argument, that there is evidence3 of teams being "better" or "great" with Sissoko. The evidence generally leans the other way.

Jose being fucked will depend on a few things, the biggest one being Kane, who's so far directly involved in 78% of all our goals, but Sissoko definitely needs to be improved on no matter what happens.

I don't know why you keep cranking this accordion, but are happy to point out the stupidity of managers continually picking people like Trippier, Aurier, Winks etc - seems when managers pick Sissoko they are "experts whose selections shouldn't be questioned" when they pick the players you don't like that logic gets a bit blurred?
You’re unintentionally funny sometimes mate

I don’t know why you keep cranking this accordion”!
Lmfao 🤣

Datzlo Datzlo has completely ruined you on this

Get yourself another soapbox because your clear bias against a player wearing our shirt and doing his best with our managers blessing is clouding your judgment and seems to be getting worse

Counselling might help you

I’ve already conceded that we need to upgrade on him and several others but while Jose has faith in him so have I

He absolutely does put himself in positions where he can't receive the ball. Whether it's a tactical thing from the team because we don't trust Sissoko with the build-up I don't know. But it does put a huge amount of pressure on his CM partner to show and cover a lot of ground to create passing lanes so we can progress through the middle.

The only player I’ve seen play for us who did it more obviously was Paulinho. He was a master at hiding from the pass. I’d never seen anything like it or since.

But according to some he’s good because Deschamps picks him for France?

Annoyingly displays like that playing for them isn’t going to help someone taking him off our hands.
I get why he plays, he's an awkward bastard, big & strong, lots of elbows and arms getting into your face when you get near, can't bounce him off the ball while he can bounce you, relentless physicality for the 90mins and the occasional ability to drive with the ball.

As Jose is manager, then he's our Fellaini (without the aerial ability or should that be the elbow in the face ability).

It's just on the ball there's little there, under Poch he was useful in relieving any pressure we might have been under by carrying the ball out rather than hoofing it long. I thought he built a good relationship on the pitch with Aurier too.

But we would be so much better if we had a player who was good on the ball.

Our Midfield STILL doesn't control games with the ball (although their is an improvement due to Ndombele and PEH) and without the ball oppo STILL play through us and that's with PEH who has been far better than I was expecting BUT he hasn't fixed our porous midfield).

I get why he plays, he's an awkward bastard, big & strong, lots of elbows and arms getting into your face when you get near, can't bounce him off the ball while he can bounce you, relentless physicality for the 90mins and the occasional ability to drive with the ball.

As Jose is manager, then he's our Fellaini (without the aerial ability or should that be the elbow in the face ability).

It's just on the ball there's little there, under Poch he was useful in relieving any pressure we might have been under by carrying the ball out rather than hoofing it long. I thought he built a good relationship on the pitch with Aurier too.

But we would be so much better if we had a player who was good on the ball.

Our Midfield STILL doesn't control games with the ball (although their is an improvement due to Ndombele and PEH) and without the ball oppo STILL play through us and that's with PEH who has been far better than I was expecting BUT he hasn't fixed our porous midfield).

Yep. Buy an upgrade for him in January and I’ll have some faith we might do something special this season. Replacing him as a starter is quite pivotal to our season.

Yep. Buy an upgrade for him in January and I’ll have some faith we might do something special this season. Replacing him as a starter is quite pivotal to our season.
Think that's a big ask to be fair. It's hard enough for players to fit straight into a side let alone halfway through a season. Would be interesting if Skipp could begin to fill the void or if he's still 2 or 3yrs away??

Back
Top Bottom