New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have sat in 3 ends in the new place,and its luck of the draw as to who you have around you regards atmosphere.
Sat twice in the Paxton and enjoyed it.
Sat twice in the east stand(1 corporate) and the atmosphere was ok
Sat several times in the Park lane and for all but one ,to be honest it was a bit of a let down(the Newcastle game was dire). .But the best atmosphere was also in there when i was sitting with my brothers lot up where it meets the west stand.Great atmosphere surrounded, for the most part by people that liked a laugh and a sing song .
We sit in Block 111 - and for League games the atmosphere around us is pretty good. It's a different set of faces for the domestic cups though - and the atmosphere then suffers accordingly.

Copied from the StubHub thread where I replied to Joe, more relevant to here I think.

I only get to a handful of games a year so the 'buzz' is still huge, but as a fan from the 60's and a 30+ year season ticket holder I know very well how much the game has changed, especially on the terraces.

The problem that the die-hards on here have, and I fully agree with their emotions, is that time doesn't stand still and you simply can't turn back the clock. I was a guest at Anfield on my last trip (we weren't playing) and the atmosphere was utter shite for all but 5 minutes, yet they pay half the price and are winning every game.

Emirates, New White Hart Lane, Anfield, Old Trafford are just not what they were and whilst safe-standing might make a difference 1,300 quid season tickets mean the man in the stand is not the same man who stood there when we were kids.

and it runs even deeper than that, we were tribal we hunted (travelled) in packs, the Club or Keith's coaches, or the wally train ... now it's all SUV's and BMWs ... we sang songs 90% of which would get you arrested today ... in today's woke world we would all be considered scum and banned for life. I'm not saying that was a good thing, just like taking the North Bank every year was 'bad' but it made us all part of the same tribe.

Today my 'tribe' is the same faces from 40 years ago, sure there are some new faces and some next generation, but in the 70's I was on name or nodding terms with 100's if not 1,000's of fellow yids ... today that's down to about 50.

Looking back with 'good old days' glasses is all very well, and for me as well they were the good old days, even if the football was for the most part pretty shit, but like having a fag, getting the football specials, having a good old fashioned bone crushing surge ... those days are gone.

You may not like the 'sanitised' way football works now but you probably can't and almost certainly won't be able to change it. Our club is at the forefront of the modern game the only realistic option as fans is to embrace that or get left behind. As I mentioned Safe-Standing might help a bit but in reality we live in a different age ... we are not getting our Tottenham back not in the stands anyway, the football 'experience' is indeed fucked if you want it to be like the 70's, however if you can afford to adapt to the 2020's then it's still good, just very different.

If you know a way that 60,000 seated fans in comfortable seats can generate the same atmosphere as 15,000 fans on the shelf ... not only our club but every the club would be very glad to hear it ... we spent fortunes on our huge end, on rail seats, and on the acoustics, yet it's still pretty lifeless. So all ideas which don't start with losing 20m of income would I'm sure be welcomed.
A very, very good post.

The new ST pries will give the club about £600K extra income, based on 40k ST holders and average £15 increase per ST. That is 1% of a £60m player purchase price. LOL

Or, less than one extra stadium event, which they keep piling up, to piss off 2/3 of the regulars...

Don't know why they couldn't have frozen it, with the previso they would add the 1.5% if CL is attained. Not that it affects me, but feel for anybody who has to think over the cash when making the decision.

Top post from BangkokSpud - and sums up why I’m full of mixed emotions on the run up to games and on match days...

fwiw I’ll be in the phone to the club re: moving or just taking out membership and giving my ST up

Club determined to be penny wise and pound foolish it seems.
And they are proving the doubters right, ENIC are greedy, always have been, always will be imo.

I wouldn't accuse them of being pound foolish though.

BangkokSpud BangkokSpud If 90% renew it means that 5k ST holders have thrown in the towel to be replaced (mostly) by less hardcore/less vociferous supporters who have little or no understanding of Tottenham/football culture.

Would only take 5 seasons of churn like that and our support would be full on West Ham.

But let's be honest, Levy isn't particularly bothered.

ENIC knows that no matter what, the tickets will be sold because there is always someone willing to come and pay and there is always someone wanting to come for the "day out."

This notion that ENIC care about the club outside of their own long term financial gain from it is sheer delusion, the stadium was built FOR THEM, the club is run FOR THEM, why some people have this undying loyalty to them is beyond me, they are a business, if you don't push them to do better they will literally take the piss out of you, I don't know why or how people struggle with this concept.

Some people are just refusing to criticise them because they love the stadium and are afraid of what change might bring, they would rather defend the owners and take the "safe" option and watch our fanbase turn into a bunch of lifeless prawn sandwich munchers whilst the atmosphere turns into the library before they ever dare point the fingers at the owners for causing these issues or demand change.

And they are proving the doubters right, ENIC are greedy, always have been, always will be imo.

ENIC knows that no matter what, the tickets will be sold because there is always someone willing to come and pay and there is always someone wanting to come for the "day out."

This notion that ENIC care about the club outside of their own long term financial gain from it is sheer delusion, the stadium was built FOR THEM, the club is run FOR THEM, why some people have this undying loyalty to them is beyond me, they are a business, if you don't push them to do better they will literally take the piss out of you, I don't know why or how people struggle with this concept.

Some people are just refusing to criticise them because they love the stadium and are afraid of what change might bring, they would rather defend the owners and take the "safe" option and watch our fanbase turn into a bunch of lifeless prawn sandwich munchers whilst the atmosphere turns into the library before they ever dare point the fingers at the owners for causing these issues or demand change.

Good post.

I still enjoy going to NWHL. But the worst bit for me is the actual stadium experience. I love the pubs, the atmosphere outside the ground, the breweries and eateries. Just being in Tottenham on match day.

But the stadium is like a gigantic luxurious car ferry. Impressive, yes - and it had its moments last year. But completely lacking the character and intensity of WHL - and the sight lines are worse. And it’s full of annoying twats with half and half scarves, nice away fans, bloggers and other halves pissing about on Facebook.

I’m in the North Stand and I was quite hopeful last season that it could be fun with a decent bunch around me - apart from some old cunt behind me. We’re above the away fans so could easily be some good aggro. But it’s dead. It’s become tourist central now. Everyone seems to be selling on their tickets. The effects of over pricing.

I am well into middle age and an oldish git who will always miss WHL. But it’s not a welcoming place for fans who want a bit of noise, passion, intensity and the edge that gave us all the experience we fell in love with.

Away games are what I really get excited about now. But we should work with the club and trust to try and really make it fun again. TFC 1882 RIP but could do with a complete resurrection.

I still enjoy going to NWHL. But the worst bit for me is the actual stadium experience. I love the pubs, the atmosphere outside the ground, the breweries and eateries. Just being in Tottenham on match day.

But the stadium is like a gigantic luxurious car ferry. Impressive, yes - and it had its moments last year. But completely lacking the character and intensity of WHL - and the sight lines are worse. And it’s full of annoying twats with half and half scarves, nice away fans, bloggers and other halves pissing about on Facebook.

I’m in the North Stand and I was quite hopeful last season that it could be fun with a decent bunch around me - apart from some old cunt behind me. We’re above the away fans so could easily be some good aggro. But it’s dead. It’s become tourist central now. Everyone seems to be selling on their tickets. The effects of over pricing.

I am well into middle age and an oldish git who will always miss WHL. But it’s not a welcoming place for fans who want a bit of noise, passion, intensity and the edge that gave us all the experience we fell in love with.

Away games are what I really get excited about now. But we should work with the club and trust to try and really make it fun again. TFC 1882 RIP but could do with a complete resurrection.

Yep, I agree, the North Stand is worse this year than last. But that's the trouble CSWY, because if I put my ticket on exchange half the time (as per my earlier rationale) then I've become 'one of them'.

I agree that ENIC aren't in it for the fun of it IU, but I know (second-hand) that Levy (and most of the people around him) care passionately about the club. I think ENIC are just like any other owner (in fact probably better than most) of a modern PL football club. It's the way the game is, it's what the game has become. In short, I agree your sentiments, and share your frustrations, but I think you're raging against the wrong people.

Your first point is clearly wrong - guaranteed if we drop to the bottom half or get relegated we won't sell 60,000 tickets at 90 quid a go - your premise is clearly flawed.

ENIC even if they are cynical money grabbing cunts still need to have a team that challenges for top four, in fact playing in Europe is where the big money comes from so that from a purely cash viewpoint would be an imperative. So ENIC if they were running the club FOR THEM would need a manager and a team that challenged for top four. Do you know what makes you the most money in terms of Corporate sales, Marketing and Merchandising? Funny thing it's winning a Trophy ... so if ENIC were in it just FOR THEM and the money then winning a trophy would be a huge priority ... oddly enough it is, the manager and players are all on massive 'success' bonuses to achieve just that .... so in terms of winning ENIC and the fans goals are exactly the same ... winning makes ENIC the most money and it makes the fans happy.

If you think that ENIC conspire not to win games please explain how that fits into your long term financial gain theory? the more success the more money, it's not that hard to grasp.

Where ENIC and fans differ is ticket prices, ENIC will charge market rates, fans want to go for free ... but just as many of us like Ferraris and to live on a diet of steak and champagne, you have to pay the market prices to do that. Screaming that Ferrari are cunts only in it FOR THEM won't get you a 30k Ferrari just as howling about a 1% increase won't get you a 500 quid season ticket ... even if it makes you feel better you must know that won't work.

You can go on about the atmosphere but that's society not the owners - next time you go to NWHL behave like a 70's fan, sing abusive songs, surge against your neighbours, take a piss in a rolled up programme at the back of the stand .... see just how that works out for you

You are deluded if you think you can recreate the last century, and you are deluded if you think fans are loyal to ENIC / Levy .... owners like managers, players, and fans will come and go, whilst I am in the group who believe ENIC / Levy have been great custodians that doesn't actually matter. I want what's best for Spurs ... best training facilities, best ground, and maybe approaching the best squad in fifty years ... what's not to like?

what's not to like?
Letting people who we're further down the waiting list than you get season tickets you would have preferred to buy had they been available, and not give you the opportunity to switch before selling them to all and sundry?

I was in the extra sales window for ST's at the new stadium and all that was available was 1882 or back few rows in shit areas. If tickets had been available in block 123 for example at the time I got my ST then I would have taken that rather than the 1882 ticket in the south stand I plumped for.

I would also have not been about to let my ticket lapse because of the shit atmosphere around me and the perceived lack of value I get for my £2,200 for 19 games, 19 burgers and 38 pints..

I realise I am an extreme case, but my experience is the most acute and accurate data I have. And i feel like I've been shit on as a fan.

Letting people who we're further down the waiting list than you get season tickets you would have preferred to buy had they been available, and not give you the opportunity to switch before selling them to all and sundry?

I was in the extra sales window for ST's at the new stadium and all that was available was 1882 or back few rows in shit areas. If tickets had been available in block 123 for example at the time I got my ST then I would have taken that rather than the 1882 ticket in the south stand I plumped for.

I would also have not been about to let my ticket lapse because of the shit atmosphere around me and the perceived lack of value I get for my £2,200 for 19 games, 19 burgers and 38 pints..

I realise I am an extreme case, but my experience is the most acute and accurate data I have. And i feel like I've been shit on as a fan.

The club fucked up, when the ticket office upgraded in 2017, we bought a system that we were reliably informed could handle the demand, turns out it simply couldn't.

No excuses, the club tried to save a few quid and fans paid the price, we now have a whole new vastly upgraded system in it's place, this one (run by ticketmaster) is designed to handle the millions of simultaneous ticket applications for things like pop concerts and WWE ... the software and servers cost about ten times the money of the old system, but not putting that in place three years ago was a big mistake it has cost far more in terms of goodwill ... the team that managed the original process are long since gone, Levy takes no prisoners.

This summer will be the first time the new system handles season ticket allocations, the club realising the screw ups from 2018 are bringing forward the ability to relocate, if you are still able give the ticket office a ring and try and get moved to where you want to be ... obviously no guarantees but worth a try.

FYI - We originally went with the same system as Woolwich, lesson learnt never copy the nomads, always aim higher.

I think that's now our average ... 1,120,000 tickets sold a season for an income of 100m is pretty much 90 quid per ticket .... almost exactly the same as Woolwich.

By comparison West Ham a regular mid table team can only average under 50 quid ....

I think our average is way more than 90 tbh. We have a shit load of corporate seats ranging from 150-500 quid a pop.

I reckon we may hit 120m a season on gate. 145 on tv, and 130 in sponsors. So thats 395m without CL.

Back
Top Bottom