New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No-one who has been to a Roma/Lazio game can say that stadiums with running tracks produce shit atmospheres. The fans produce the atmosphere, not the building.

Credit to those fans but being away from the pitch does affect enjoyment of the game and I have been to a lazio game, fans where noisy made up for the very average game, this was 10 years ago though.

The best atmospheres I have ever been to have been at stadiums where the fans are almost on the pitch.

I suppose (and I am guessing) he is refering to the fact that City and Chelsea historically are much smaller teams than us and through huge sums of money and time have over taken us. I suppose Liverpool and Woolwich prove that you can fight with the money men as long as you have a good board, decent manager and a high capacity stadium ( I know Liverpool still need to sort the stadium out).
Hi again Tomo. Key here, for me anyway, is that Pool, Utd and Woolwich are the three biggest clubs in the country. They have far more resources to fight the money men than we do.

You can argue that we were close to Woolwich, 60s to 80s. However, when the Prem started in 92, there was the big 3 and everyone else somewhat adrift.

To break into that cartel, Chelsea had built up a head of steam under Harding, fuelled by debt though, but they were saved by RA. City had a new stadium and some momentum from their previous chairman, probably again debt laden, IIRC.

West Ham have a chance, as they will have a new stadium, London based, near the City, fantastic infrastructure, paid by us the taxpayers , established fanbase and probably in the Prem.

Credit to those fans but being away from the pitch does affect enjoyment of the game and I have been to a lazio game, fans where noisy made up for the very average game, this was 10 years ago though.

The best atmospheres I have ever been to have been at stadiums where the fans are almost on the pitch.
Saw Roma v Messina a couple of years back and the atmosphere was electric

Saw Roma v Messina a couple of years back and the atmosphere was electric

One thing I do remember from the stadium was that it was very vertical, dangerously vertical I thought I could fall if not careful so even though lazios ground had a running track if you where further back you could still see. The os is far more horizontal so if your at the back you very far from the pitch.

The same season ticket waiting list questionaire that we use.
Seriously, do your homework before embarrassing yourself on the net.
#schoolboyerror
Seriously, what season ticket waiting list questionnaire? West Ham's season tickets go on general sale on June 8.

Last edited:
To be fair, teams on the continent could play in a barn and make more noise than in England....a track in the PL will be a disaster

Yeh if we ever get a running track fuck me it would be awful. Football in other countries can be dull as dishwater, they can have a running track and be miles off from the game but the fans seem to have a party in the stands regardless of outcome. In the PL everything seems to be driven by what happens on the pitch and if it's miles off like the old Wembley the atmosphere can be terrible. West Ham may have more real football fans than Woolwich but even they will struggle when the game is being played somewhere in the distance. West Ham are mugs, should have gone down our route and re-developed, they will be a corporate club like Woolwich but without any of the talented players.

We won't sell any more tickets for a new stadium so fuck that. Buy quality players - that's what we need to do. Oh wait... we've done that already haven't we? Hopefully a new manager can get something out of this pathetic bunch. We need major restructuring.

Yeh if we ever get a running track fuck me it would be awful. Football in other countries can be dull as dishwater, they can have a running track and be miles off from the game but the fans seem to have a party in the stands regardless of outcome. In the PL everything seems to be driven by what happens on the pitch and if it's miles off like the old Wembley the atmosphere can be terrible. West Ham may have more real football fans than Woolwich but even they will struggle when the game is being played somewhere in the distance. West Ham are mugs, should have gone down our route and re-developed, they will be a corporate club like Woolwich but without any of the talented players.
Hi again Tomo. AFAIK West Ham didn't and don't have the money to follow our example.
Their owners have said they can't afford to redevelop Upton Park, and when you look at the debts they took on, I believe them. Indeed it is very likely the only reason they took on those debts is because of the chance of getting the OS. They took a gamble and it's paid off handsomely. Almost certainly in a few years time they will be able to sell West Ham for a huge profit.
The OS was West Ham's 'get out of jail free' card. Without it, it's quite likely they would be in the Championship, perhaps having gone into Admin, and not having the likes of Carroll Nolan or Downing. The OS was a prize sufficient to keep the owners pumping money into the club, to get them promoted and keep them in the Prem.

Having won one lottery prize with the OS, if they win another with a billionaire benefactor owner, West Ham can become a force to be reckoned with in the Prem.

Last edited:
Hi again Tomo. AFAIK West Ham didn't and don't have the money to follow our example.
Their owners have said they can't afford to redevelop Upton Park, and when you look at the debts they took on, I believe them. Indeed it is very likely the only reason they took on those debts is because of the chance of getting the OS. They took a gamble and it's paid off handsomely. Almost certainly in a few years time they will be able to sell West Ham for a huge profit.
The OS was West Ham's 'get out of jail free' card. Without it, it's quite likely they would be in the Championship, perhaps having gone into Admin, and not having the likes of Carroll Nolan or Downing. The OS was a prize sufficient to keep the owners pumping money into the club, to get them promoted and keep them in the Prem.

Having won one lottery prize with the OS, if they win another with a billionaire benefactor owner, West Ham can become a force to be reckoned with in the Prem.
your completely wrong! Sullivan & gold cannot sell west ham for a huge profit at any time in the future!!.. it was one of the stipulations of moving to the os along with being debt free before leaving upton park! they also cannot make money out of naming rights for the os

your completely wrong! Sullivan & gold cannot sell west ham for a huge profit at any time in the future!!.. it was one of the stipulations of moving to the os along with being debt free before leaving upton park! they also cannot make money out of naming rights for the os
I believe they can't sell for a profit for a period of 10yrs. They must also bring down their debt significantly, currently arround £80M (don't know what significantly translates to).
Although there is still mass confussion about naming rights, the Pikies say that they can have a revenue stream (a % not all) from naming rights. However the LLDC say they are not entitled to any as they do not own the stadium, seems odd this is a grey area.

I believe they can't sell for a profit for a period of 10yrs. They must also bring down their debt significantly, currently arround £80M (don't know what significantly translates to).
Although there is still mass confussion about naming rights, the Pikies say that they can have a revenue stream (a % not all) from naming rights. However the LLDC say they are not entitled to any as they do not own the stadium, seems odd this is a grey area.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/27/west-ham-debts-david-sullivan-david-gold

No, no it's you who are completely wrong.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/mar/22/west-ham-tenants-olympic-stadium
'Johnson had insisted on a so-called "embarrassment clause" to ensure that taxpayers would share in any upside if Gold and his co-owner, David Sullivan, sold the club at a profit in the first 10 years of their 99-year lease. '

I think you should check your facts before you come out with claims against a fellow poster. I also hope the people who agreed with your incorrect post will undo their ratings.

(Hi Guido BTW, I'm surprised you have agreed with this claim against me, when you've already pointed out that 57's post was wrong re selling at a profit. I always think of you as a good and fair poster)

Clearly Gold and Sullivan can sell for a huge profit AS I SAID. The Government will share in this, but I would imagine astute businessmen or accountants will be able to structure the sale to maximise profits, and as pointed out after 10 years the profit is all the owners.

It's also worth noting that the proceeds for selling Upton Park can be used by the club to reduce debt and/or can be used, presumably, by the owners to get back some of the money they have ploughed into the club, thus allowing them to be in a good position to cream off huge profits if they sell West ham. I expect West Ham to be sold within the next 15 years, but quite likely a lot sooner.

We'll see then what happens re profit making.

Last edited:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/mar/22/west-ham-tenants-olympic-stadium
'Johnson had insisted on a so-called "embarrassment clause" to ensure that taxpayers would share in any upside if Gold and his co-owner, David Sullivan, sold the club at a profit in the first 10 years of their 99-year lease. '

I think you should check your facts before you come out with claims against a fellow poster. I also hope the people who agreed with your incorrect post will undo their ratings.

(Hi Guido BTW, I'm surprised you have agreed with this claim against me, when you've already pointed out that 57's post was wrong re selling at a profit. I always think of you as a good and fair poster)

Clearly Gold and Sullivan can sell for a huge profit AS I SAID. The Government will share in this, but I would imagine astute businessmen or accountants will be able to structure the sale to maximise profits, and as pointed out after 10 years the profit is all the owners.

It's also worth noting that the proceeds for selling Upton Park can be used by the club to reduce debt and/or can be used, presumably, by the owners to get back some of the money they have ploughed into the club, thus allowing them to be in a good position to cream off huge profits if they sell West ham. I expect West Ham to be sold within the next 15 years, but quite likely a lot sooner.

you obviously think west ham are about to become the next man city..

the proceeds of selling upton park have raised less than half there debt!..
Sullivan put another £10 mil of his own money in jan to cover more debt... there whole financial position
is perilous to say the least no matter what you think.. going down before getting to the o.s would be catastrophic..
even if they stay in the prem there not going to be the next man city.. ffp makes that impossible now no matter if a extremely rich benefactor came forward.
all gold & Sullivan own now is the west ham name... they cant move training ground cause there skint & rough estimates are that whufc debt to them is/was £102 mil!. & how much do you think there going to sell a club for who's out goings are still more than whats coming in.
sure they'll make a profit if allowed to sell up but as said by you regulated by government who will take a large slice of any profit after the debt owed to them is covered so its not as rosey as it may seem.
if you can find any factual evidence that they can sell for a huge profit "as you said" then i'd be open to seeing it & you shouldn't really be telling me to check my facts as all ive written is already in the public domain whereas your facts are based on future events
oh & bye the way... if the o's make it to the championship this coming weekend barry hearns legal case for sharing will have gold & Sullivan and old bucket cunt brady raiding there penny jars just in case!

Last edited:
you obviously think west ham are about to become the next man city..

the proceeds of selling upton park have raised less than half there debt!..
Sullivan put another £10 mil of his own money in jan to cover more debt... there whole financial position
is perilous to say the least no matter what you think.. going down before getting to the o.s would be catastrophic..
even if they stay in the prem there not going to be the next man city.. ffp makes that impossible now no matter if a extremely rich benefactor came forward.
all gold & Sullivan own now is the west ham name... they cant move training ground cause there skint & rough estimates are that whufc debt to them is/was £102 mil!. & how much do you think there going to sell a club for who's out goings are still more than whats coming in.
sure they'll make a profit if they sell up but as said by you government will take a large slice of any profit after the debt owed to them is covered!.
if you can find any factual evidence that they can sell for a huge profit "as you said" then i'd be open to seeing it & you shouldn't really be telling me to check my facts as all ive written is already in the public domain whereas your facts are based on future events
oh & bye the way... if the o's make it to the championship this coming weekend barry hearns legal case for sharing will have gold & Sullivan and old bucket cunt brady raiding there penny jars just in case!
I don't accept you were right in calling me completely wrong, in fact, it was you who are completely wrong. If you want to stand by that position, fine. I just have nothing more to debate with you. You have your interpretation of what is on public record, I have mine. In my opinion, you have got it wrong, fair enough, but to call my interpretation completely wrong, when it's clearly right, then if you stick by that, which is your right of course, it's just time for ole Greavesie to use the ignore button, same as with the two people, backing you in your claim against me.

I don't accept you were right in calling me completely wrong, in fact, it was you who are completely wrong. If you want to stand by that position, fine. I just have nothing more to debate with you. You have your interpretation of what is on public record, I have mine. In my opinion, you have got it wrong, fair enough, but to call my interpretation completely wrong, when it's clearly right, then if you stick by that, which is your right of course, it's just time for ole Greavesie to use the ignore button, same as with the two people, backing you in your claim against me.

ok... let me know when you've found your dummy.. obviously spat it out quite a long way !!..
if you cant take a bit of disagreement on a forum then old greavsie is that old he's reverting back to the baby stage where he may need nappies again.
you cant have many more people to talk to if you ignore everyone you disagree with.

Back
Top Bottom