Now that the CL is gone, is it better for us to miss out on the EL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now that the CL is gone. Do you want us to qualify for the Europa League?

• Yes, Europa league is worth qualifying for and trying to win

Votes: 66 62.9%
  • No, Europa league will hinder our chances of getting back into the Top 4

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Don't care as long as we finish above Woolwich this season

Votes: 18 17.1%

• Total voters
Stay on tact fella.... Think... Regardless of whether or not they spend enough to keep certain fans from moaning; to imply they don't want the teams they assemble to do as well as possible with the resources they have provided is more than silly.... What's more it makes no commercial sense; which is the contradiction I made to begin with.

I repeat my original comment: they'd be only too pleased if we won the EL.

Please don't exhibit to me that you are dumb enough to genuinely argue otherwise..... I have faith that you're not.... Please don't let me down.
Only the EL why not the EPL or the CL the big clubs trophies, is it because we are not a big club?
Anyway I'm out of here now going to enjoy a few beers and enjoy the weekend I trust you will too.

Only the EL why not the EPL or the CL the big clubs trophies, is it because we are not a big club?
Anyway I'm out of here now going to enjoy a few beers and enjoy the weekend I trust you will too.

Why the EL? Well that was the topic of discussion at hand. You scamps are always so eager to make everything about funding; I guess you overlooked the actual premise of the conversation. ;)

...But yes, they would be even more pleased if we'd won the CL last year. :)

Enjoy ya drinky-poo.....

Personally I have always hated the europa league, but if we are actually going to try to win it then I would prefer to be in it. Its still European competition and if we sign anyone maybe it will help....i cannot believe I am even saying this as I do hate the europa league

So the theory is that we should finish as low as possible to avoid qualifying for Europe so that next season we can focus on qualifying for Europe, is that right?

giphy.gif

My opinion is that the Europa League is an absolute killer with the Thursday-Sunday schedule.
Now that the Champions League is done I think it would be an absolute blessing in disguise to miss out on the Europa League as well.
I think we will have more chance of getting back into that top 4 without Europa League distraction.

that's my opinion what do you good people think?
If we get top 4 we get CL however, IF we win the EL (glory and a trophy) we also get CL.

I'd say yes they have to go for it but not because Spurs will win it - this is a tired, inconsistent team - but because the EL offers the opportunity to blood some Academy players.
Arguably Poch's success was somewhat based on a one Harry Kane who may not have had the chance to emerge without the EL.
With so much debt the club can't afford a rebuild, the £200mill B of England Covid loan shows how bad things have become with the Covid situation.
At least the youngsters show a bit of hunger, whereas when footballers make it and become multi-millionaires media celebs, they have a tendency to lose interest and consistency, as has happened with Dele.
A run in the EL with some Academy debuts whilst retaining the naturally hungry players, Kane, Lucas, Son and Winks won't win the trophy but it could help refresh things.
I have a suspicion this is why the Sheffield Uniteds and Wolves of this world are doing so well - their players are hungrier. As fun as it can be to watch, a lot of the content on SpursTV is basically videos of multimillionaires messing around on Xbox in the Disneyland that is the Spurs training ground. It's too comfortable for them.

City and Liverpool are here to stay.

United seemed to have sorted it out. Bruno seems to be the real deal, Pogba has looked good since coming back, and it sounds like they will be landing Jadon Sancho this summer, a huge upgrade at easily their worst position, Right Winger.

Chelsea have already signed Ziyech and Werner, two players I'd kill for. They're also in the race for Harvertz.....they'll only get better next season.

Next season, we aren't guaranteed to get Top 4, and seeing how it's unlikely our top players would even make a match appearance until Europa Leagues knockout stages, (by then, we'll have an idea on the teams competing top 4 and what our squad looks like compared), there's no reason why I would want to skip Europa.

If we are shit in the league, we'll got the EL as a lifeline to make the Champion League.

City and Liverpool are here to stay.

United seemed to have sorted it out. Bruno seems to be the real deal, Pogba has looked good since coming back, and it sounds like they will be landing Jadon Sancho this summer, a huge upgrade at easily their worst position, Right Winger.

Chelsea have already signed Ziyech and Werner, two players I'd kill for. They're also in the race for Harvertz.....they'll only get better next season.

Next season, we aren't guaranteed to get Top 4, and seeing how it's unlikely our top players would even make a match appearance until Europa Leagues knockout stages, (by then, we'll have an idea on the teams competing top 4 and what our squad looks like compared), there's no reason why I would want to skip Europa.

If we are shit in the league, we'll got the EL as a lifeline to make the Champion League.
I think we will have done well to finish top six let alone top four, with the mess the club is in and the lack of funds this isn't good to be pretty honest.
Of course it won't stop many clubs from spending except us, as we at spurs are a special club who do special things.
The immediate to medium future of the club doesn't look to appealing in terms of anything.

Last edited:
No brainier alert ! 👺

It’s a ludicrously obvious answer, but sadly this Chelshit Portuguese swindler will go the other way; he will listen to the plastic melts and the prawn sandwich munching corporate machine.

I think it was 2013/14 that Manchester United so very blatantly avoided a Europa league spot by allowing Spurs to nick the qualifying position. We need to learn from that very sensible move and avoid Europa no matter what the cost.

Nobody questioned United back then- because they were fucking clever!

Let us hope the Islington team qualify fo the Europa league- I pray they do, but don’t bet on it, because they know it’s a domestic season destroyer.

I

If we get top 4 we get CL however, IF we win the EL (glory and a trophy) we also get CL.
Exactly football is a competitive sport we compete against other teams to win, win things that not the whole point. Besides there are only 3 competitions we are in 4 if you include Europe.

We probably wouldn't win the Europa, it can be a very tough comp from the quarters onwards. You never know, though. I enjoy the midweek European matches regardless, and it's good for squad rotation.

I think we will have done well to finish top six let alone top four, with the mess the club is in and the lack of funds this isn't good to be pretty.
Of course it won't stop many clubs from spending except us, as we at spurs are a special club who do special things.
The immediate to medium future of the club doesn't look to appealing in terms of anything.
I agree. Not a fan of jose but I thinks its extremely harsh to expect him to get this lot top 4. As you say, top 6 would be some achievement considering the tools he has.

Back
Top Bottom