Now that the CL is gone, is it better for us to miss out on the EL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now that the CL is gone. Do you want us to qualify for the Europa League?

• Yes, Europa league is worth qualifying for and trying to win

Votes: 66 62.9%
  • No, Europa league will hinder our chances of getting back into the Top 4

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Don't care as long as we finish above Woolwich this season

Votes: 18 17.1%

• Total voters
Europa League over not getting it e wry day of the week. I can’t fathom why people would think any different, regardless of reasons given.
The reason is that we don't have enough quality players to make us win when we need to rest Kane etc. We could get through the first few games but the more success the more games. Our best players get injured and everything goes to pot.
We need a season to rebuild and find some reasonably priced players and improve them.
Most of the people we look to buy were available for peanuts 12 months earlier.
Maybe we should buy them now and lend them to Lille rather than pay inflated prices 12 months on.

The reason is that we don't have enough quality players to make us win when we need to rest Kane etc. We could get through the first few games but the more success the more games. Our best players get injured and everything goes to pot.
We need a season to rebuild and find some reasonably priced players and improve them.
Maybe we should buy them now and lend them to Lille rather than pay inflated prices 12 months on.

Saying we need to win trophies but wanting to actively not be involved in a tournament that is easier than 2/3 out of the 4/5 we’d compete in to me is frankly bonkers.

I’d be bitterly disappointed to miss out on Europe altogether and I’m sure those inside at the club feel exactly the same.

Last edited:
I think he will care if he’s not successful

I don’t think that he would have said what Poch did about leaving prior to the biggest game in our history

Is there a club he’s managed that hasn’t won anything?
Agree 100%...
We HAD our moment to win the CL...

... that was a once in a lifetime chance last June, for one reason or another we blew it... within 25 seconds!!

Jose is many things, but he's also astute and realistic enough to know we won't win the CL under his tenure... but the EL is possibly within grasp, and his skill set....
He knew it/did it with Man Utd...

The guy is a serial winner, but is also wily enough to know what he can and can't achieve with Spurs... he also knows beggars can't be choosers...

He's selfish enough to want to continue his personal remarkable winning streak with the EL, or a domestic Cup next season... but he knows, we ALL know, the League, or CL are currently out of reach.

I reckon he's being realistic by aiming for EL qualification, rather than busting a gut going for a CL slot we're never going to win.

Last edited:

Rest Kane for what? A league challenge that our detractors say we're not good enough for anyway?

Tea-bag logic.

Yeah - let’s miss out in a chance to win Europe’s second most prestigious trophy...

This is the kind of mediocre mentality ENIC wants so they can justify their ongoing failure

Yeah - let’s miss out in a chance to win Europe’s second most prestigious trophy...

This is the kind of mediocre mentality ENIC wants so they can justify their ongoing failure

Strange take.

.....Then why is it mostly the sulky, "we don't spend enough" crew that are advocating sacking off the EL then?

If we are not in the Europa it will damage our European chances for years. The points system will mean we get nil points for next season and when we get back in the CL could end up in pot 3 and struggle against 2 good teams from Pot 1 & 2. We must qualify for knock out stages and I have more trust in Jose to get that right than Poch who might play too many youngsters. Now after SU result Europa league position is far from certain.

Strange take.

.....Then why is it mostly the sulky, "we don't spend enough" crew that are advocating sacking off the EL then?
cause we won't win it what's the point adding another 15 games with a squad that's unlikely to be improved upon anyway. we don't have good depth either. Jose had a decent side that won it a few years back and good depth. we don't

cause we won't win it what's the point adding another 15 games with a squad that's unlikely to be improved upon anyway. we don't have good depth either. Jose had a decent side that won it a few years back and good depth. we don't

Re-read what I replied to.

Nothing strange about wanting to win a major
European trophy - unless you’re more concerned about other pro ENIC matters?

Wanting to win wasn't the strange part... Your parting barb made no sense; just as the one in this place is a bit childish and typically evasive.

You've previously conceeded that your "hate" of ENIC is less than substantiated; one would think self-awareness is that start of the learning curve, not the end.

You've previously conceeded that your "hate" of ENIC is less than substantiated; one would think self-awareness is that start of the learning curve, not the end.
I’ve never conceded that - ‘less than substantiated’ - LOL

Wake up and smell the flowers - were about to finish 10th having gone from genuine title contenders. Yeah, ENIC have nothing to do wiht that ...

As for self awarness - the fact you feel the need to post on every single thread on here every day to the tune of 200+ speaks more about you than me really

As if you have a bot set up that pings every time someone mentions ENIC or Levy on here...

I’ve never conceded that - ‘less than substantiated’ - LOL

Not verbatim; but essentially yes you did.....

Wake up and smell the flowers - were about to finish 10th having gone from genuine title contenders. Yeah, ENIC have nothing to do wiht that ...

Of course they play a part; they run the club.... Doesn't mean to say your logically flawed conspiratorial assertion (see above) holds any weight.

As for self awarness - the fact you feel the need to post on every single thread on here every day to the tune of 200+ speaks more about you than me really

Why would my posting habits say ANYTHING about you? :roll:

Strange avenue of logic you're chasing there, but by the same token; the ground you're taking couldn't be any more shakey... You are a bonafide internet warrior.... One who gleefully uses phrases like "ended" and crusades accross multiple platforms in the name of their petty "beef".

As if you have a bot set up that pings every time someone mentions ENIC or Levy on here...

A "box" - What are you even talking about? :roll:

Stick to the football stuff, mate; the rest of this crap does you no credit whatsover.

Not verbatim; but essentially yes you did.....

Of course they play a part; they run the club.... Doesn't mean to say your logically flawed conspiratorial assertion (see above) holds any weight.

Why would my posting habits say ANYTHING about you? :roll:

Strange avenue of logic you're chasing there, but by the same token; the ground you're taking couldn't be any more shakey... You are a bonafide internet warrior.... One who gleefully uses phrases like "ended" and crusades accross multiple platforms in the name of their petty "beef".

A "box" - What are you even talking about? :roll:

Stick to the football stuff, mate; the rest of this crap does you no credit whatsover.
This reply confirms you’re a troll beyond all reasonably doubt, possibly even an ENIC paid one considering you literally post on here 7 days a week e every 5-10 mins - attacking and abusing anyone who dares to question those greedy snakes.

‘Profits before silverware’ - you should probably tattoo that somewhere, mate

Back
Top Bottom