Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He did well I thought; a few sloppy challenges early in the first half but he settled into the game. It’s great to see some heart and aggression out there.

When it first started I felt he was a little off the pace but City were really good. As game went on he grew into it and shows why having a second ball winner with Hjolberg is so important. Impressed with him

I thought he was our best midfielder today, another ball winner to protect our defence. Means we might not have to camp out 11 players inside our penalty box this season to keep some clean sheets.

tough first game for him today but maybe the best one for him as hes experienced the levels at the top end now. far better than winks. love that he isnt afraid to really go into players unlike a few of the melts in the squad, him and tanganga wont be pushovers.

tough first game for him today but maybe the best one for him as hes experienced the levels at the top end now. far better than winks. love that he isnt afraid to really go into players unlike a few of the melts in the squad, him and tanganga wont be pushovers.
He's got heart - really liked what I saw. Kind of got that PEH edge about him.

He and peh provided a very combative midfield today I thought he was excellent. I think if either winks or sisokko would have started ahead of him we wouldn't of won that game today. Was unsure of him a couple of seasons ago when I first saw him but this boy is gonna be very good.

45+ appearances in all competitions this season no doubt, what an instant improvement for our midfield.

Surely the posters who said 'we need to loan him out to get a season's expeerience in PL before he's good enough for Spurs' understand after the game today that he's ready to play at Spurs right now.

He's got plenty of energy and tenacity and not a little skill.

Just come bck from an injury so probably not quite fit. But a very good performance today.

He played in 41 Championship games for Norwich last season - I'd like to think he'll be able to play 40+ first team games for Spurs this season

This ain't the championship.

He needs to stand up and be patient as much as possible and be more descerning about when to try and pinch the ball, or he'll get done again and again.

Good performance, overall.

Will only get better.

Looked very good. Him and PEH will be a very good partnership. I think Skipp will grow more confident as the season goes on if he continues to get game time. It seems Nuno sees something in him like we do.

Great to see Skipp given the chance to start in a big match, thoroughly deserved it after his performance for us all last year.

I watched him in isolation to the match as a whole to see how he would fair. He had a difficult, waist-height ball to control in the early minutes of the game which led to him losing possession with his first real involvement which made him nervous early doors and almost led to him conceding a penalty against Grealish. He then made a good tackle in the penalty area to deny Sterling and was unlucky to concede the corner in the process. More importantly though this second act gave him confidence and settled him down.

There was the odd occasion when he was a bit too eager and got beaten by Sterling/Grealish in the first half too easily but this is understandable for two main reasons; he's likely nervous playing his first big game in front of a big crowd and secondly he's playing against two elite players.

After this though, he began to calm down and for someone so young has excellent positional awareness already (something Farke would have improved him/built up on), especially in transitional periods, e.g. counter or reverse counter attacks.

All things considered, although outshone by the superb Tanganga today, I think he gave a solid performance against tough opposition. He's got this first start out of the way, you'll see more confident starts in the future and against lesser teams, better passing range/vertical transition passes from defence to attack. A good start then for those that got on the 20/1 price for him to make England 2022 WC squad (currently 10/1).

Finally, a special mention for Son on fulfilling the 5/1 nibble I had on you to win today. If I'm honest it was more of a value bet than faith on Spurs to win, but there's no way you should have been priced that high with no KDB/Striker at City and Mendy (defensive liability) and Ake next to each other. Bookies priced that wrong, as I hope they had with Skipp for the England squad. Well done on an excellent win.

Skipp 7.5/10

Last edited:
Great to see Skipp given the chance to start in a big match, thoroughly deserved it after his performance for us all last year.

I watched him in isolation to the match as a whole to see how he would fair. He had a difficult, waist-height ball to control in the early minutes of the game which led to him losing possession with his first real involvement which made him nervous early doors and almost led to him conceding a penalty against Grealish. He then made a good tackle in the penalty area to deny Sterling and was unlucky to concede the corner in the process. More importantly though this second act gave him confidence and settled him down.

There was the odd occasion when he was a bit too eager and got beaten by Sterling/Grealish in the first half too easily but this is understandable for two main reasons; he's likely nervous playing his first big game in front of a big crowd and secondly he's playing against two elite players.

After this though, he began to calm down and for someone so young has excellent positional awareness already (something Farke would have improved him/built up on), especially in transitional periods, e.g. counter or reverse counter attacks.

All things considered, although outshone by the superb Tanganga today, I think he gave a solid performance against tough opposition. He's got this first start out of the way, you'll see more confident starts in the future and against lesser teams, better passing range/vertical transition passes from defence to attack. A good start then for those that got on the 20/1 price for him to make England 2022 WC squad (currently 10/1).

Finally, a special mention for Son on fulfilling the 5/1 nibble I had on you to win today. If I'm honest it was more of a value bet than faith on Spurs to win, but there's no way you should have been priced that high with no KDB/Striker at City and Mendy (defensive liability) and Ake next to each other. Bookies priced that wrong, as I hope they had with Skipp for the England squad. Well done on an excellent win.

Skipp 7.5/10
Great summary. Thanks for taking the time.

Back
Top Bottom