Other matches fred 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ridiculous VAR interference to disallow Ajax goal, a disgrace, now Madrid and Barça have 13th player as VAR can be called into action when the referee isn't enough.
I hate VAR now. I was for it in theory when the idea was first floated but seeing it in action in the last few months, I think it's awful. It ruins football. It kills all the momentum and spontaneity of the game. The whole 'clear and obvious' thing is so vague and poorly interpreted by referees. It's too late now cause they are rushing to get it implemented everywhere but in its current iteration it's fucking broken and antithetical to what makes football work as an exciting game.

And I'm pretty sure with the help of VAR almost every goal can by disallowed for some ridiculous motive, as seen yesterday, but who will decide what plays should be analised by VAR as are no objective rules about that?

The problem with VAR is they're just using it completely wrong.

It should ONLY be used for offside goals, things that occur off the ball that the referee or linesman may NOT have seen but others could and potential red card challenges (Pogba on Dele for example). The one yesterday in the Ajax game was farcical and I have a hard time believing the goal wouldn't have stood if it was Madrid who scored it.

They raised a good point in our game yesterday actually. In the build up to our third goal, I think it was Eriksen that was offside in the build up to us getting the corner but they chose NOT to use VAR for it. We then scored from the corner.

No one seems to know WHEN to use it or what to use it for.

The problem with VAR is they're just using it completely wrong.

It should ONLY be used for offside goals, things that occur off the ball that the referee or linesman may NOT have seen but others could and potential red card challenges (Pogba on Dele for example). The one yesterday in the Ajax game was farcical and I have a hard time believing the goal wouldn't have stood if it was Madrid who scored it.

They raised a good point in our game yesterday actually. In the build up to our third goal, I think it was Eriksen that was offside in the build up to us getting the corner but they chose NOT to use VAR for it. We then scored from the corner.

No one seems to know WHEN to use it or what to use it for.
The Madrid one yesterday was for an offside goal - it was used how you want it. Its another tool to help the top clubs.

Bit surprised the matches kick off times aren't staggered at this stage of the Champions league.

Would be nice to see more of the action live.

They've already stretched it out so that there's only 2 games each day, with the other matches being played the following week. Don't want to see them stretch it even further than that.

I thought it was for "obstruction" on Courtois?
Not what they said yesterday, the fact he was in Courtois way meant he was interfering and therefore offside.

"The official had decided Ajax forward Tadic was marginally offside and interfering with play - standing in front of Courtois at the exact moment Tagliafico got his header in. It was the correct decision technically, however without VAR the goal would have stood."

Not what they said yesterday, the fact he was in Courtois way meant he was interfering and therefore offside.

"The official had decided Ajax forward Tadic was marginally offside and interfering with play - standing in front of Courtois at the exact moment Tagliafico got his header in. It was the correct decision technically, however without VAR the goal would have stood."

Well then, no complaints from me.

Dinamo Zagreb plays first game of knockout stage in 49 years tonight. It's holy grail for their fans. I don't care, but wish them luck. It would be pretty cool if they pass this stage and host woolwich. I would go on the game just to knock out some aftv cunt.

I'd hate for people to miss out, but apparently there's some other games playing tonight. Woolwich are away to a tractor factory team in the arse end of nowhere.

They've already stretched it out so that there's only 2 games each day, with the other matches being played the following week. Don't want to see them stretch it even further than that.
I meant in a similar way to the group stage. As it's the knockout stage I thought they could have a early and a late kick off on the same day so you could watch one game after the other.

Considering the money involved in the Champions league I'm just a little surprised they haven't done it. No one team gains any advantage either. Though I guess it's just a little more football coverage overkill but would give those who'd like to see all the games a chance to do so.

Back
Top Bottom