Other matches Fred - 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

United 100% through, City 90% through, Chelsea 70/30 favourites, Woolwich 50/50, all English European finals.....This is the stuff fucking nightmares are made of....

Just thank fcuk 2 of them will feel pain in their respective finals.

But we have been good for years.

One final to show for it during that glowing period was the real pity.

Woolwich scoring when down to ten men and really one more goal against them from being all but out was absolutely typical of our season though.

It really can be quite easy to think we are jinxed.

It absolutely was present under Tuchel, I gave you an example of that, verses Bayern last year's final, against a better Bayern.

And Tuchel did it last week against City to be effect with an inferior team to that of Poch's PSG.

I think it's too early to judge Poch at PSG, but I've been far more impressed by the clear tactical improvement in Chelsea under Tuchel than any tactical difference Poch has made to PSG.

Burn me at the stake.
But I’m not nor have I tried to make any comparisons with Tuchel at Chelsea. Where I think his impact has been hugely impressive, always thought the Chelsea team was an impressive one, he’s getting a tune out of them almost immediately, and that’s by also rotating the team too.

The ONLY side in your list that had had a higher XG than City however was Chelsea, so I fail to see what was the point of mentioning the others proved.

This PSG team under Poch looks a much better side than it did under Tuchel though. They are working a lot harder off the ball, it’s not just sitting in a block, they transition from a mid-block (out of possession) to a high back line (in possession) which achieves this by playing out from the back through the oppo better than any team I’ve ever seen!!

To early to evaluate Poch impact, sure!! In fact their only games I’ve seen them play have been theirs in the CL, so literally a handful. But they’ve been the best games I’ve watched this year (both teams contributing to them of course).

Really enjoyed the City game too. Where over the period of 90mins in a close game PSG were the better side, the main reason for this was City didn’t create much at all, their goals were 2 flukes. The worry that still lingers with PSG is their mental side, as they lost control of the game following City’s first fluke.

Whilst City were much improved 2nd half they still created very little, PSG were loosing their heads somewhat with many unnecessary fouls and arguments. I’ve no issues with any team getting involved in these battles but some are actually good at them as it enables g to hem to get a grip of the game, the shithousing brought City b as cL into the game as much as their braver approach pushing the FB’s up higher.

Without any doubt this season City are showing a more considered approach to games, rarely pushed up so high with Edison forming part of the defense outside his box to use an extreme example.

It’s a close game, just as the Bayern game was. It’s brilliant football though, can’t take my eyes of them, literally the only games that I will rewatch from this woeful season.

That's how they play & win cups. Whilst we laugh at them as we finish a few places higher in the league. They are a lot better than Villarreal.
They were not better than Villarreal Scott, they were largely outplayed. Woolwich improved with 10 men, for sure but still only created one attempt of note which came in extra time.

Their big miss will be Capone, who I thought dominated them. I don’t know if Foyth is a big miss for them or not, I’m not aware how ingrained into the team he is, whereas I don’t the think they’ll miss Cebalious one bit as he stunk the place out, but Arteta showing just how poor he can be by not subbing him off, he was a walking red card and adding nothing positive to his team.

But I’m not nor have I tried to make any comparisons with Tuchel at Chelsea. Where I think his impact has been hugely impressive, always thought the Chelsea team was an impressive one, he’s getting a tune out of them almost immediately, and that’s by also rotating the team too.

The ONLY side in your list that had had a higher XG than City however was Chelsea, so I fail to see what was the point of mentioning the others proved.

This PSG team under Poch looks a much better side than it did under Tuchel though. They are working a lot harder off the ball, it’s not just sitting in a block, they transition from a mid-block (out of possession) to a high back line (in possession) which achieves this by playing out from the back through the oppo better than any team I’ve ever seen!!

To early to evaluate Poch impact, sure!! In fact their only games I’ve seen them play have been theirs in the CL, so literally a handful. But they’ve been the best games I’ve watched this year (both teams contributing to them of course).

Really enjoyed the City game too. Where over the period of 90mins in a close game PSG were the better side, the main reason for this was City didn’t create much at all, their goals were 2 flukes. The worry that still lingers with PSG is their mental side, as they lost control of the game following City’s first fluke.

Whilst City were much improved 2nd half they still created very little, PSG were loosing their heads somewhat with many unnecessary fouls and arguments. I’ve no issues with any team getting involved in these battles but some are actually good at them as it enables g to hem to get a grip of the game, the shithousing brought City b as cL into the game as much as their braver approach pushing the FB’s up higher.

Without any doubt this season City are showing a more considered approach to games, rarely pushed up so high with Edison forming part of the defense outside his box to use an extreme example.

It’s a close game, just as the Bayern game was. It’s brilliant football though, can’t take my eyes of them, literally the only games that I will rewatch from this woeful season.

Agree on much of that but PSG are no better under Pochettino as yet in my opinion.

City have the edge and of course PSG have to both win and score twice to either win or take the game to extra-time.

Agree on much of that but PSG are no better under Pochettino as yet in my opinion.

City have the edge and of course PSG have to both win and score twice to either win or take the game to extra-time.
Through the lens of only the CL games, I think they are better, they've looked like a much more balanced team, a much harder working team off the ball (with significant injuries to key midfield and their entire back 4 too), with the same potent threat upfront.

City should go on and win this now. I may have this wrong but I don't think outside of their 2nd game of the season (when they were struggling a fair bit) no one has scored more than 2 against them at all this season! Whilst far from being a pragmatic team to describe them, Pep has it seems dialled them down a touch.

I think you do a disservice to that Chelsea team.
You would. But do you think I’m wrong?

They have some good players (though young and will need time to gel and grow but good nonetheless).

Have said the same myself.

You and I were both taking apart that PSG team earlier in the season...of course that was when tuchel was there and it didn't serve your agenda to overrate it.
I don’t remember “taking it apart”, I do remember criticising some of the recruitment and referring to the club as a Neymar circus. But Poch has a better PSG team available to him now than Tuchel did last year in the CL, where he was forced to play CB’s in midfield etc.

They are a mish-mash of players with no coherent recruitment plan.

The same could be said of Chelsea's recruitment recently.

That said, Tuchel has done a nice job with Chelsea.
My point. And something I also seem to remember predicting to you before it happened. Can you say the same, so far, about Poch at PSG?

Color me shocked you one-eyed weasel!
Colour me even more shocked at you riding in on your hoss to defend the honour of St Poch the painful unbuilder.

Last edited:
Just thank fcuk 2 of them will feel pain in their respective finals.

But we have been good for years.

One final to show for it during that glowing period was the real pity.

Woolwich scoring when down to ten men and really one more goal against them from being all but out was absolutely typical of our season though.

It really can be quite easy to think we are jinxed.
If you mean jinxed as in gutless players, shit chairman and a lot of bad managers then yes we are jinxed

City badly outplayed them and looked about as disinterested as they could.

The final was pure luck and horrible reffing.

They were not better than Villarreal Scott, they were largely outplayed. Woolwich improved with 10 men, for sure but still only created one attempt of note which came in extra time.

Their big miss will be Capone, who I thought dominated them. I don’t know if Foyth is a big miss for them or not, I’m not aware how ingrained into the team he is, whereas I don’t the think they’ll miss Cebalious one bit as he stunk the place out, but Arteta showing just how poor he can be by not subbing him off, he was a walking red card and adding nothing positive to his team.
I hope your both right! If not, at least we got a good United team waiting to stop them. Yeah cebellos won't be a miss for them. Don't think they will make his loan permanent. I just think teams like Woolwich only need to put a couple of decent attacks together & teams like Villarreal will crumble. Same way united can be crap most of a game but then just have a quick good attacks & they win. But we shall see.
I think city v Madrid & united v Woolwich.

I don't this Poch PSG side does look better than it did under Tuchel, and the league performances and results, as well as the CL performances, suggest likewise.

Over 90 minutes PSG weren't the better side, and PSG didn't create much either, despite trying to play on the counter and having an attack consisting of Neymar and Mbappe. Both teams had an x/g of 0.9. City managed to dominate the ball (60%) over the 90, and limit PSG's chances too, Neymar and Mbappe became obsolete second half.

City were a bit too cautious first half, a bit too concerned with PSG's counter threat, but not without some justification, but they ramped up the pressure, were more aggressive second Hal;f and Poch/PSG had no answers, they just shrunk deeper.

Tuchel did a similar but better job on City, without the likes of Neymar and Mbappe to scare them with.

I don't this Poch PSG side does look better than it did under Tuchel, and the league performances and results, as well as the CL performances, suggest likewise.

Over 90 minutes PSG weren't the better side, and PSG didn't create much either, despite trying to play on the counter and having an attack consisting of Neymar and Mbappe. Both teams had an x/g of 0.9. City managed to dominate the ball (60%) over the 90, and limit PSG's chances too, Neymar and Mbappe became obsolete second half.

City were a bit too cautious first half, a bit too concerned with PSG's counter threat, but not without some justification, but they ramped up the pressure, were more aggressive second Hal;f and Poch/PSG had no answers, they just shrunk deeper.

Tuchel did a similar but better job on City, without the likes of Neymar and Mbappe to scare them with.
I don't watch them in the league, I've only seen them in CL and I sorry they've been much, much better than I saw under Tuchel in the same comp last year (I also didn't watch them in the league last year only CL). This is all I have to judge. (When Tuchel was sacked they were 3rd, they are now 2nd. They were 1pt behind Lyon and are now 5pts above them. 1pt Behind the now current leaders Lille. I'd say, without having watched a second of them play in the League that's either an improvement or it's exactly the same level).

Over 90mins I completely refute any suggestion other than better were the better side. They defended better than City, limiting to practically nothing, their best chance was in the first half and Foden hit the ball straight at Nevas. In the first half they completely control the game, drawing City on to them and playing out through their lines from the back. They fashioned some big chances too, not loads and loads but significantly more than City, who were totally blunt.

In the 2nd half PSG whilst not the better team, still had the better/bigger chances than City!!! Whilst PSG didn't have the same level of control as they did in the first half, right up to the first goal they were still limiting City to absolutely fuck all. City only gained control after their fluke 1st goal which came on 64 mins (as opposed to PSG controlling almost their entire first half and NO, you don't always control a game by having more possession).

E0Fuop9XoAEkHsW

This XG reflects exactly the game that I watched. I thought PSG were very unlucky to concede from City's flukes. PSG totally controlled the first half, City the better side in the 2nd but only gaining control of the game from min 64 onwards.

Neither team dominated the other, it's a close contest that's being keenly contested in every aspect from the tactics employed by the managers to the individual brilliance of the players to the aggression and competitiveness of both teams.

The advantage is well and truly in City's favour now for the 2nd leg, they have a newfound resilience this season that will test PSG to score 2 or more against them, I'm not sure they will be able to achieve this, perhaps only if they can score early, but I'm certainly not expecting a 2-2 after 10mins like our visit to them in 1/4 final, City are a more measured and calculated side it would appear this year.

I don't watch them in the league, I've only seen them in CL and I sorry they've been much, much better than I saw under Tuchel in the same comp last year (I also didn't watch them in the league last year only CL). This is all I have to judge. (When Tuchel was sacked they were 3rd, they are now 2nd. They were 1pt behind Lyon and are now 5pts above them. 1pt Behind the now current leaders Lille. I'd say, without having watched a second of them play in the League that's either an improvement or it's exactly the same level).

Over 90mins I completely refute any suggestion other than better were the better side. They defended better than City, limiting to practically nothing, their best chance was in the first half and Foden hit the ball straight at Nevas. In the first half they completely control the game, drawing City on to them and playing out through their lines from the back. They fashioned some big chances too, not loads and loads but significantly more than City, who were totally blunt.

In the 2nd half PSG whilst not the better team, still had the better/bigger chances than City!!! Whilst PSG didn't have the same level of control as they did in the first half, right up to the first goal they were still limiting City to absolutely fuck all. City only gained control after their fluke 1st goal which came on 64 mins (as opposed to PSG controlling almost their entire first half and NO, you don't always control a game by having more possession).

E0Fuop9XoAEkHsW

This XG reflects exactly the game that I watched. I thought PSG were very unlucky to concede from City's flukes. PSG totally controlled the first half, City the better side in the 2nd but only gaining control of the game from min 64 onwards.

Neither team dominated the other, it's a close contest that's being keenly contested in every aspect from the tactics employed by the managers to the individual brilliance of the players to the aggression and competitiveness of both teams.

The advantage is well and truly in City's favour now for the 2nd leg, they have a newfound resilience this season that will test PSG to score 2 or more against them, I'm not sure they will be able to achieve this, perhaps only if they can score early, but I'm certainly not expecting a 2-2 after 10mins like our visit to them in 1/4 final, City are a more measured and calculated side it would appear this year.

I utterly refute your refute. City had 60% of the ball, and according to this kept the x/g equal

Either way, both teams were good defensively, but City limited PSG to fuck all whilst also dominating the ball, and the last half PSG didn’t get out of their half.

That’s probably the worst wrong sending off of the season. He got the ball. The officiating in this league is just horrendous and VAR seems to be making it worse.
Very similar to the Balbuena one at the weekend in the repesct of it was a clean challenge,winning the ball and catching the player unfortunately on the follow through. The Balbuena one was rescinded (on appeal?) after WHam lost the game. Suspect this one might be similar. Will the officials ever learn from mistakes?

Don’t get the complaining about the West Ham red. He’s hung his foot out, that was not a natural action, and either way he’s gone flying through studs up into Chilwell’s leg, ball or not.

I don’t understand why the ref needed VAR. Clear red.
Seems you were in the minority BC? How long between contact with the ball and Chilwells shin do you think there was? In most peoples view (I think) he was just trying to make a clearance. What's your take on tonights incident with Vestergaard on Vardy?

Back
Top Bottom