Other matches Fred - 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They changed the handball rule from last season after the Moura incident. Now only handball like the Ings one from the other week will be called handball by an attacking player. Although to me the Havertz handball looked closer to the Ings one than the Moura one.

However, they fucked up the handball rule for defending teams. I still don't understand how they gave handball to Doherty one. Double deflection and the player was literally only half a yard away. That can only mean they're calling handball whenever the ball hits the hand (below the sleeves) of a defender. So by that logic, if a defender did the same thing Havertz did, he'd be penalised and a penalty would be given. That is ridiculously unfair for defenders.
What you're saying in the context of the Moura incident makes sense. That was an utterly ridiculous call. Today's was a handball in my opinion though.

I don't know, I think no matter what they try and write the rule up as, it's not going to work. It should just be handballs that creative an unfair advantage and then trust the refs (LOL) to know what that looks like. Moura is fouled and his arm brushes the ball and it doesn't change direction = no unfair advantage. Harvetz arms the ball down, completely changing the direction of the ball, in the penalty area = unfair advantage.

Ei3HZ9xWoAUPNrM
And yet we had a perfectly legitimate equaliser ruled out against Sheffield United because of Lucas 'handballing' it while lying on the floor.

I wonder how that game would have panned out if given and what a win there might have done for our top 4 push...
:harrysmile:

I don't see why they have to keep changing the rules every season, it's just confusing and makes the whole thing look bent as fuck
They keep changing it because halfway through a season, they realise they've made a huge fuckup with the rule.

They did it when they decided they didn't want to use VAR even when the 2018 WC showed it was very successful. Then a Wolves player punches the ball into the net against Man City and they start questioning their decision. So they implement VAR next season but don't allow pitchside screen for the ref. And try to fix the handball rule to make it black and white like the offside rule. But then the Rice goal and Kane goal (after Moura 'handball') makes them question their decisions again. And the TAA handball against Man City which wasn't penalised. So they do a complete 180° turn and allow attacking players to 'accidentally' handle the ball but screw it up for defenders. All these silly rule changes must be confusing the refs as well.

At this point FIFA should just intervene and try to fix the handball rule. It will always be a subjective decision so there will be some inconsistencies but still the handball rule from 4-5 years ago was better than this shitfest we're getting.

Had to be!

Kyle Walker-Peters, who I'm more and more convinced each week was actually Tottenham's best right-back, plays a brilliant pass through to find Che Adams inside the area. Nick Pope comes out to meet him but Adams is able to squeeze a pass inside and find former Burnley man Danny Ings, who clips into the back of the net under pressure.

Back
Top Bottom