Our luck.....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The quality of the results has exceeded the quality of the performances so far this season. I think that's all people are saying in this thread, and I think that's very fair. And noticeable too, because the opposite has so often been the case in recent years.

I'd agree completely, but I think that's down to the manager, not luck. We've been grittier this season and able to see bad games out and come back from being a goal down. We've scored so many late goals this season; is that really down to luck, or the fact our stamina is incredible?

For a good 80% of the season we've played poor-average, but so have United, Liverpool, Woolwich and Everton. Unlike some of those, we've fought for the points, not gave up and kept plugging away.

I'd agree completely, but I think that's down to the manager, not luck. We've been grittier this season and able to see bad games out and come back from being a goal down. We've scored so many late goals this season; is that really down to luck, or the fact our stamina is incredible?

IMO, we are starting to see some very promising things from the system Poch has put in. But that's in the performance side of the ledger. Our energy and stamina hustling opponents out of the game late is on the performance side of the ledger. Robin Van Persie missing sitters with Fazio nowhere to be found? That's not grit, that's just something that's going to even out over a larger sample size.

Hopefully, the bedding in of the system covers some of that regression. We've played substantial stretches of really good football where the high pressing game has worked like magic in at least our last 4-5 games. It's gotta be 90 minutes though, and it's got to produce more good chances. Those are the next steps.

So when a player misses a sitter against us, it's because we're lucky?

How many sitters has Soldado missed for us then, and that's because he's just shit?

Make your mind up, can't have it both ways. We're either lucky and unlucky or both players are shit. I prefer the latter.

Yup bony (how many goals this year???) and Mata are good comparisons to soldado. I never thought I would say it but you may be more clueless than sammy

Yup bony (how many goals this year???) and Mata are good comparisons to soldado. I never thought I would say it but you may be more clueless than sammy

You've completely missed the point, as usual; any excuse to make a straw man and seem almighty, eh?

If you're going to say we're lucky because Bony/Mata/Shrek missed a sitter then you need to also say that we're unlucky when Mason/Soldado miss a sitter, as is often the case. Ergo, United misses sitters and we were lucky, we missed sitters and we were unlucky.

You can't just say "Soldado/whoever is shit, so that doesn't count as unlucky", as this is using different rules for different players. How many games would we have won if Soldado put away half of the sitters he's had? Yet you don't seem to acknowledge this at all.

Doesn't matter who the comparison is between, your own argument contradicts itself and is flawed.

Are you disagreeing with the concept of random fluctuation in chance taking as something that has an effect on short-term runs of results, or are you just disagreeing with that concept as applied to this Tottenham season?

You've completely missed the point, as usual; any excuse to make a straw man and seem almighty, eh?

If you're going to say we're lucky because Bony/Mata/Shrek missed a sitter then you need to also say that we're unlucky when Mason/Soldado miss a sitter, as is often the case. Ergo, United misses sitters and we were lucky, we missed sitters and we were unlucky.

You can't just say "Soldado/whoever is shit, so that doesn't count as unlucky", as this is using different rules for different players. How many games would we have won if Soldado put away half of the sitters he's had? Yet you don't seem to acknowledge this at all.

Doesn't matter who the comparison is between, your own argument contradicts itself and is flawed.

No, you have got it all wrong.

Spurs are lucky. We are lucky that Soldado missed sitters.

Whether or not you think we have had a lot of luck lately depends on whether you think it is lucky to have normal luck for once instead of constant bad luck.

The problem is that luck is subjective. Man United were lucky that the ref did not see 2 good penalty appeals.

We were lucky not to concede a penalty against Leicester when JV fouled their striker twice.

The funny thing about luck is that we only see it in the context of the final score when there is so many elements to a game where luck affects it, how the ball bounces, who wins the 50/50 balls, where the ref is positioned and the consistency of the ref.

It's hard to define us as lucky though because I think you have to accept that when we win, other teams contribute to their demise too. We talk about luck against Leicester, their fans talk about terrible positioning from Hamer for Ericksen's goal. Why did we win that game? Luck or did we just have a better keeper?

Say, that we got a penalty for us against Man United (or Leicester got theirs against us) , that does not equate to a goal, De Gea/Lloris is still a great keeper and there is still a 75%chance of a goal or, more relevant, a 25% chance it will be saved, it's not a sure thing and it's not all based on luck.

We have not been any luckier than anyone else this year, you might argue we have been lucky where and when it matters.

"Shallow men believe in luck-strong men believe in cause and effect"
"The best luck of all is the luck you make for yourself"

Quotes by someone?

To a football player luck is another word for skill? Shot form 30 yards, top corner is luck every-time? You need to take the opportunity to create the luck . if it goes in- brilliant skill?

Last edited:
Against Utd we were not lucky, they were poor in front of goal, as we were. Getting that goal to seal the result alluded both teams. RVP or Mason both missed sitters. Rooney and Kane both missed headers. Both keepers had good games with both defensives looking dishevelled. Both teams were lucky not to lose???

So what it boils down to is that 90% of posters agree we have had a good share of good fortune, then you have sammy and the other one liking each other's posts.

No, what you have is 12 agrees, 2 funnies, and 1 like....15 pos reps for the following post.

Exactly
Both teams had 9 shots....they had 5 on target, one more than us...they had 51% posession.

People, including that Man U prick, seem to be judging the game on one half....even the BBC wrote "Spurs hold out for a draw"...

We held out for a goalless first half, then one manager got his tactics together and took control of the game, while the other shat his pants, brought on three defenders, then started crying about fixture congestion, while forgetting that everyone else played the other day too.

What 90% have agree with you then you absolute cock

Oh dear Sammys multi quoting himself, get ready for the melt down part two.

When somebody is as thick as shit as you are, they tend to have the nauseating ability to think that disappearing from the conversation for a day or two means they can make up facts when they return and suddenly thats the truth, and nobody will know any different.

In this case, that one person agrees with me, and 90% agree with you.

You are a fucking shambles mate...talking about meltdowns, the irony is lost on you..go and read your caps lock rants in this very thread. Then go and start a thread where you pretend you are off to buy some drugs for new years you spastic.

Well... it's decided then.
I'm never gonna rub my hands together and say "I feel lucky tonight" in front of you lot ever....

Astro "I feel lucky tonight"
Carlo "Lucks about to run out mate, you're due a cunting"
MKYid "Keep believing Astro....Now lets hold hands Ommmmmm"
Sammy "No such thing as luck, you're exactly where you deserve to be"
Blanch "For the last time Astro, it was Gary Player, not Faldo. Do you wanna borrow my Paul Mckenna tape?"
Mad Yid "Someone cast good Juju on you?"

Astro "Screw this, who wants a pint?"

Think Mr Ray Charles wrote this with Spurs in mind!

That's why I say if everybody went to heaven
Hey-ey-ey, I believe I'd miss the call
But you see if it wasn't for bad luck,
Trying to tell you son if it wasn't for bad luck, now now
Oh, oh, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Would you believe I wouldn't have no luck at all

Back
Top Bottom