Our luck.....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

057%2B-%2BCarlito.jpg

...is this the mysterious woman in question then???
Carlito's latest secret squeeze?

Turns out you CAN make your own luck

How to get lucky!

A friend of mine, Professor Richard Wiseman, has been researching luck for more than a decade. Over this period, he’s collected significant evidence which shows that lucky people really do meet their perfect partners, achieve their lifelong ambitions, find fulfilling careers and live happy and meaningful lives.

Their success is not due to them working especially hard, being amazingly talented or exceptionally intelligent. Instead, they simply appear to have an uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time.

Indeed, Professor Wiseman’s research reveals that people are not born lucky. Instead, lucky people are — often without even realising it — guided by their belief in themselves as lucky to think and behave in ways that create good fortune in their lives.

244DD3CC00000578-2889353-Professor_Wiseman_s_pictured_research_reveals_that_people_are_no-a-6_1419805206349.jpg

+6
Professor Wiseman’s (pictured) research reveals that people are not born lucky. Instead, lucky people are — often without even realising it — guided by their belief in themselves as lucky to think and behave in ways that create good fortune in their lives

Often, they’ve been told that they’re lucky from an early age. Or they’ve experienced several positive events over a short period that have left them feeling lucky or blessed.

Whatever the cause, their belief in their own luck encourages them to be open to new experiences, to seek opportunities and to rise to challenges.

‘Lucky’ people trust their intuition and gut feelings. They also look forward to the future because they assume it will be filled with good fortune — and this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But there’s more to it than that. Since ‘lucky’ people are optimistic about how things will turn out, they tend to be positive in their interactions with others — and therefore foster the very conditions that make a positive outcome more likely.

The people who believed they were lucky had greater success because the ‘lucky’ filter in their minds alerted them to seize the opportunity in front of them.
Paul McKenna
And when they hit a bad patch? Well, because they always expect things to turn out well in the end, they’re able to ride things out until the tide turns in their favour.

Which, of course, makes them remarkably resilient.

In one particularly interesting experiment, Professor Wiseman asked volunteers to flip through a newspaper and count the number of photographs inside it. He didn’t tell them that, after about three pages, there was a half-page advert that said: ‘Stop counting — there are 43 photographs in this newspaper.’

In case they missed it, a few pages on there was another advert that said: ‘Stop counting. Tell the experimenter you’ve seen this and win £150!’

For the most part, people who’d identified themselves as unlucky missed both of these adverts. The lucky people laughed and said: ‘There are 43 photos. That’s what it says. Do you want me to bother counting?’

When told to carry on, they’d flip through some more pages and say: ‘Do I get my £150?’

In other words, the people who believed they were lucky had greater success because the ‘lucky’ filter in their minds alerted them to seize the opportunity in front of them.

Change your luck

15A0AEE8000005DC-2889353-Paul_McKenna_suggests_learning_about_resilience_from_Winston_Chu-m-9_1419805325548.jpg

+6
Paul McKenna suggests learning about resilience from Winston Churchill (pictured)

The technique I am going to take you through now is one of my all-time favourites. I’ve used it myself to change my own luck for the better, and I’ve tested it on hundreds of people with astounding results.

An actor I worked with did the exercise every day for a week and landed a hit TV show before a month had passed. A man who’d been continually unlucky in love surprised himself — and everyone who knew him — by meeting the girl of his dreams and getting married.

An executive finally got a well-deserved promotion after years of being passed over for her less talented colleagues.

And a bankrupted entrepreneur who also did the exercise suddenly began spotting new opportunities and ended up with a new business worth over seven figures.

In this simple visualisation technique, I’ll guide you as you reset your perceptions and re-code how you think and feel about your relationship with luck and life.

Many people start to notice amazing changes in how they feel almost immediately, and their ability to spot opportunities greatly increases. Stranger still, more opportunities curiously begin to find them.

Lucky for life

244DCE7500000578-2889353-Great_English_playwright_William_Shakespeare_pictured_can_teach_-m-22_1419805513988.jpg

+6
Great English playwright William Shakespeare (pictured) can teach us the value of love McKenna says

Remember a time (or times) when you felt that ‘everything was going your way’ or you just felt lucky. Bring it vividly to mind. See what you saw, hear what you heard, and feel how good you felt . . . as though you’re back there again now.

1 Now, make the images in your mind bigger; the colours brighter, bolder, richer; the sounds louder; and the feelings stronger.

Keep going through the memories again and again until you feel really, really good.

2 Notice where you feel the good feeling strongest in your body. Is it in your chest maybe, or your stomach? Imagine that the really good feeling has a colour — then spread that colour up to the top of your head and down to the tip of your toes. Take the time to do this now . . .

3 Next, double the brightness and intensity of the colour, and double the intensity of the feeling. Double it again and again — until you feel it in every fibre of your being.

4 Take the colour and the feeling to their absolute maximum. Tell yourself over and over again (not out loud): ‘I am sooo lucky!’ — until you’re bubbling over with positive energy. Then amplify this beyond 100 per cent and feel a whole new level of the power of luck.

5 While that amazing feeling is still radiating at a strong level, imagine spreading it to every area of your life. You are lucky in your health . . . your career . . . your relationships.

Imagine that lucky energy overflowing into your finances and even your spiritual life.

6 Finally, send that lucky energy into every corner of humanity. Imagine the whole world becoming luckier.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...aul-McKenna-says-make-luck.html#ixzz3NHP9BFY2
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

didnt-read-lol-gif-6.gif

The factor luck is undeniable in football, or maybe the better word for it is chance.

Chance and luck aren't the same thing. Chance is synonymous with probability; if you walk in a road there is a chance you'll get hit by a car. That's not being unlucky, it's being a daft cunt.

I agree with the original post, I think Spurs have had a much greater share of the luck this season than in seasons past. That being said we've had such horrific unrealistic luck for so long now that it almost seems surprising when it goes the other way.

Not in reference to any single game, just a multitude of instances where we have gotten away with shite defending and leaving it late when playing particularly poorly.

Our injury luck has also changed drastically, but you could put that down to Poch and his wondermen.

Personally I think Chelsea have been massively lucky this season.....all those shots that went in.

If other teams had defended better, they would´nt have won as many games...I mean, we are lucky Lloris made saves....so Chelsea are lucky that he didnt when they beat us 3-0.

Not that they were better...just lucky that Lloris didnt save the shots.

Personally I think Chelsea have been massively lucky this season.....all those shots that went in.

If other teams had defended better, they would´nt have won as many games...I mean, we are lucky Lloris made saves....so Chelsea are lucky that he didnt when they beat us 3-0.

We are a strong chance against Chelski, Mourinho's latest attempts to influence all and sundry aside.

You can't judge what Lloris should and shouldn't save, you're not a Prem goalie mate. :eriksenlip:

:eriksenlol:I'm amusing myself, that's what's important.

I fully concur.

It's a bit like....my boss is lucky that I am unlucky in playing the Lottery. Because if I had better luck picking the correct 6 numbers, then I would tell him to stick his job up his arse and he would be unlucky in losing a reliable employee.

Although, if I was lucky in playing the Lottery and left, my boss might end up interviewing a Kelly Brooke/Megan Fox lookalike for my job. Making him unlucky at first but then feeling very very lucky.

To all those saying we've been lucky...

We've given away more penalties than any other team
Gathered quite a few red cards
Didn't finish top of the Europa League group due to a random hand ball by Vlad in the last minute
All 3 record signings are still shit/average
We had no right back for half the season
We have Danny Rose in the team
Kaboul was made our captain
We got juju'd by Ade's bloody mum
We're relying on a kid up front
Eriksen didn't turn up for a good quarter of the season
Our midfield is so shit we're relying on two academy kids/products
Have had several stone wall pens turned down and Kane is getting a reputation as a diver
Our stadium situation is still shit
Probably going to buy no one in January
We had a civil war in the dressing room, resulting in several players being exiled
Few weeks ago we were 10th-12th and some flittering relegation worries

Yes, that's some great luck right there. We've had a fair amount of shit to cope with, we're just not use to having a manager deal with it well and keeping a calm head. Usually Levy would have sacked him by now.

Things I noticed:

RVPs one on one came from the lino missing the fact that Falcao was a meter offside when the ball was played. So lucky we are that we nearly conceded from a mistake by the officials.

Apart from the Young save, the other others were all tame, comfortable catches that were no more of a goal threat than Townsends two efforts.

Lloris did not touch the ball in the second half.

The Falcao one on one, while they cut us open, was actually prevented by some terrific last ditch tackling by Fazio.

Lucky my arse, their only actual real risk chances were an offside goal and the freekick that hit the post due to a deflection.

I agree completly with the luck though. Anyone who says we ain't rode our luck this season hasn't seen Ulloas header on Boxing Day.

I agree completly with the luck though. Anyone who says we ain't rode our luck this season hasn't seen Ulloas header on Boxing Day.

So when a player misses a sitter against us, it's because we're lucky?

How many sitters has Soldado missed for us then, and that's because he's just shit?

Make your mind up, can't have it both ways. We're either lucky and unlucky or both players are shit. I prefer the latter.

Back
Top Bottom