Our problems

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Be honest, would you rather:
1) give Jose time to build his team and shift the non performers and replace them

2) let yet another manager try and get the best out of the likes of Dele for three more years

You talk about the core of players yet our best three have 8 goals between them against the top 6 and 3 assists (6 and 3 if you take out Woolwich)

I’ll keep saying it until someone responds.
You can’t all just pretend that’s ok from 3 supposed world class players.

It’s garbage
Option 2 please.

Jose's had 18 months and come up with "Pray to God Harry Kane is fit".

That's it.

for me problems are deep
Levy always wants to win a deal, sometimes deals just have to be fair to both parties
Scouting team is poor, how come Leicester change head of scouting yet still get good unknown players
the Club has no team believe, we had Harry then Poch (simalar styles) then we get Jose different style completely, but all the player we have or been scouting would be "Poch style players" now we have to find Jose style players, this for me is madness we need a continuity if we are going along with Poch you get another manager who plays that type of style

Lay your cards on the table, for once.

What do you want from new owners if they come today.
Every single bit of it.

“new squad, manager and quadruple” isn’t an answer John
How much longer are you gonna keep deflecting and defending them mate?
Another two decades?
Would 40 years of winning nothing be ok?

What would I want from new owners??

More priority given to investing in the football team on the pitch, instead of profits off the pitch.
If annually recording the highest profit margins while simultaneously having an empty trophy cabinet does it for you, fair enough.

Having a CEO who openly admitted he doesn't like football and only became involved "to exploit its popularity " doesn't fill me with confidence for the next 2 decades.
Especially when he's been true to his word so far.

I'll let the new owners choose the manager, thanks, and I'll let the new manager choose the players.

I just don't particularly want 20 more years of being perennial losers where it matters most mate,

"we chose football because it is the most popular sport on earth and the biggest money spinner "
Daniel Levy

Time for a change, my friend. Time for a new approach

Last edited:
Ruben Dias is a perfect example.

Pricey but we could have got him. Looks like he’ll be the foundation of City’s title winning side for the next four or five years.

We will ship out Sanchez and, let’s be honest, try and nab a cut price deal for someone that may or may not be a good player.

Our problem is we buy mediocre dross. We should buy young talent like Rodon but supplement it with the very best players available on the market.

I am convinced we do nothing but play 5 a side games in training or try at our hand at other sports (Basketbell and Cricket seem to be the preferred choices).

Because there is no chance we practice much else.

Another reactionary thread after a loss, only thing is that this time on the balance of play we actually deserved to win.

Everton have pumped a tonne of money into their squad and in wages on the pitch and it's starting to pay off.

I'd personally believe Digne, Doucoure, Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin, Sigurdsson/James Rodriguez would all walk into our current squad with the players we have available etc.

If we'd played shite and went out, this might make more sense.
The set up was good, the overall play was good.
Lloris was shit
Dele was shit
Winks was shit
Sanchez at the back was shit
Bergwijn was shit
Toby was shit
We lost
We shipped soft goals
We missed sitters
We still had to bring Kane on

Yes I was thoroughly entertained. Doesn’t mean we don’t have issues though does it.

We just have too many players in the squad that aren’t good enough. I don’t really think it’s more complicated than that.

We take punts on cheaper targets hoping they will develop into world beaters, and they do not.

Liverpool were erratic nearly men, bought VVD won the CL and the league. Single handedly turned their defence from comedy (Lovren lol) into one of the best. Playing alongside VVD has improved Matip and Gomes no end. VVD injured, now they're erratic again.

City were inconsistent, brilliant going forward but had developed a shit defence. In comes Ruben Dias, and now clear at the top of the league and John Stones alongside him looks great.

We looked good when we had Jan and Toby at the top of their game. No we look erratic and inconsistent. Yes, we need another DM and better full backs....but we are going nowhere until we solve the problem at CB. Pick a champion team in any sport and you'll find it's built on a rock solid defence.

Mourinho knows this and still hasn't got what he wants. If we want to be consistent and win something we need to invest heavily in this position. Unless we're in the mix for top tier talent in that position we're going nowhere.

Harry, Son, Ndombele, PEH - imv all amongst the best in the world at what they do. We have an old Toby and 3 bang average CBs. We need to be dropping £60m+ in this position if we want it sorted. Dier and Rodon would look 10x better alongside a Varane, Koulibaly or maybe Skriniar. Fuck it I'd welcome Ramos at this point.

Unless you know of specific bargains then GENERALLY you get what you pay for as shown by the table I posted.

Even teams that buy smart (like Liverpool getting Robertson) supplement it with big buys.

I don't get it you are essentially angry, frustrated or annoyed cos Spurs don't win things like the teams above. But simultaneously don't acknowledge the spending which is what is responsible.
Spending hasn’t cost us the finals and semis we’ve lost though.
Spending didn’t cost us the CL final any more than it cost us going out to Norwich or Everton

Spending hasn’t cost us the finals and semis we’ve lost though.
Spending didn’t cost us the CL final any more than it cost us going out to Norwich or Everton
Spending money generally makes better teams though. And better teams tend to win more football matches.

Take a look at where most of the major titles have gone over the last 20 years if you disagree.
The evidence is indisputable.

seems like weve been flirting on the cusp of greatness for a very long time. we have a good core to work from but we never get them final 2-3 players that we need to push into it.

Our biggest problem seems to be communication in defence, there is none.

Sanchez played excellently when Jan was beside him telling him what to do. Now you get Toby, whose only reaction is to look round after a goal to see who he can blame, Dier who seems to be in a wee World of his own, Sanchez who needs a leader beside him and Rodon who has to concentrate on getting up to speed with the EPL before we discover if he's a leader or not.

The difference someone like De Ligt would make to our defence would be utterly massive.
The last few years before he left Vertonghen was by far our best centre back and that was even when toby was playing well. Toby helped transform us defensively but jan really came into his own and was a real leader at the back and classy too. Sorely missed.

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea. So embarrasing

cup final merch? Really???

I would buy this Ndombele one

01_SNUGZYSISSOKO-00002.jpg

Poch said we needed a painful rebuild and he was bang on. Sadly it appears it's too late and any rebuild will likely be without our two most influential players now.

Back
Top Bottom