Our problems

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Give Jose 5 years? Are you kidding. I respect his previous success in terms of trophies but the football is depressing to watch and long term it's just not acceptable. Plus we are witnessing the horrible football without any success. :mourcry:
I’m not saying he gets five years playing like this with this level of success or otherwise. We do need to see some improvement - a way forward.

But I want to give him more than a single summer window and a season and a bit during a pandemic.

seems like weve been flirting on the cusp of greatness for a very long time. we have a good core to work from but we never get them final 2-3 players that we need to push into it.

We make a habit of that. From Jol to Ramos. Ramos to Redknapp. Redknapp to AVB etc

It's like lurching from one managerial style to another.

AS long as we do it once more though.

Otherwise it will be Welcome to White Hart Lane, Sam Allardyce, Tony Pulis, Neil Warnock or Dave Bassett

Last edited:
Spending money generally makes better teams though. And better teams tend to win more football matches.

Take a look at where most of the major titles have gone over the last 20 years if you disagree.
The evidence is indisputable.
Do you honestly believe we don’t spend money, and never have.
Due to one window?

It’s odd when the general consensus is we have a world class 60M central midfielder

Last edited:
It’s always been just once more though. The most successful we’ve been is by giving a guy a few years.
Yes, but only because they earned it. Improvement had been seen.

At the moment there has just been absolutely no slither of anything to hold onto, just blind hope, not being supported by anything seen on the pitch over 15 months.

Kane clearly a world class striker and every team on the planet would want him in their side. He just doesn’t get the quality and sharpness of service that you would in a better side.
I always hold him up to the chelsea 5-3 and Woolwich top corner days......that was the player about to break the world class barrier

For me, despite being only just outside world class, he slowed down from those days

Different roles yeah yeah yeah, just lacks the drive and energy for me.

He hasn’t got enough Berbatov about him to play that languid style.

I always hold him up to the chelsea 5-3 and Woolwich top corner days......that was the player about to break the world class barrier

For me, despite being only just outside world class, he slowed down from those days

Different roles yeah yeah yeah, just lacks the drive and energy for me.

He hasn’t got enough Berbatov about him to play that languid style.
Fair enough. Personally, I think he’s getting more exhausted than he’d like to admit carrying this team.

He looked curiously "flat" last night though, not as incisive and effective as he has been previously, and seemed to drift out of the action for lengthy periods.Maybe that clash with Davies was more debilitating than it looked.
I still think he’s having to do a little too much water carrying. I appreciate any midfielder in a Jose team is going to have to do the defensive work too, but I’d like others to be focussing on that.

He does get marked out of the game, but hopefully when Lo Celso is back we have another really good midfielder who can damage teams when he’s on the ball.

no money GIF by Popkorn

The last two games suggest he does want to play attacking football but doesn't feel he has the players to do so right now. Well the defence particularly.
Not a chance. His whole career has been built on a certain defensive way of playing and he won't change. The last two games mean nothing. We had a few games earlier in the season where we scored goals and played decent but these games are not the norm. He doesn't apologize for low block defend first, concede possession, attack on the counter football. His ideal is to win games 1-0 or 2-0 but you need exceptional players to get away with it and understanding fans to accept that style of play

Not a chance. His whole career has been built on a certain defensive way of playing and he won't change. The last two games mean nothing. We had a few games earlier in the season where we scored goals and played decent but these games are not the norm. He doesn't apologize for low block defend first, concede possession, attack on the counter football. His ideal is to win games 1-0 or 2-0 but you need exceptional players to get away with it and understanding fans to accept that style of play
Or good defenders.

No.

Can you name a single player that, given the choice between us, the other top teams in the league, the Spanish duo, PSG, Juventus, Bayern, would choose us?

Dias looks great for City and we maybe could have got him, but the second they came in to view, it was never happening. And would you call him World Class? I wouldn’t. Certainly wasn’t when they signed him.

How many World class players move clubs anyway?

I look at the money we’ve spent over the years and it seems by far our best value is nearer the bottom end and not the top. Problem is we spend money, just not on the correct players. If there’s any problem with Levy, it’s not financing a world leading scouting system.

Yep super post and in truth coaches/managers are there to develop players and make them world beaters or the best they can be.

As much as anything it is putting players into systems that make the whole greater than the individual parts. How close is Mourinho to doing that one has to wonder..

We have spent plenty of money but we seem to rarely buy the players that have the impact we need of them.

It is too easy to say spend money but equally true to say you must spend money to succeed.

My only comment on a scouting system is that even if it produces quality, you must have the manager/coach to take full advantage.

Our biggest problem seems to be communication in defence, there is none.

Sanchez played excellently when Jan was beside him telling him what to do. Now you get Toby, whose only reaction is to look round after a goal to see who he can blame, Dier who seems to be in a wee World of his own, Sanchez who needs a leader beside him and Rodon who has to concentrate on getting up to speed with the EPL before we discover if he's a leader or not.

The difference someone like De Ligt would make to our defence would be utterly massive.
The last few years before he left Vertonghen was by far our best centre back and that was even when toby was playing well. Toby helped transform us defensively but jan really came into his own and was a real leader at the back and classy too. Sorely missed.

Our biggest problem seems to be communication in defence, there is none.

Sanchez played excellently when Jan was beside him telling him what to do. Now you get Toby, whose only reaction is to look round after a goal to see who he can blame, Dier who seems to be in a wee World of his own, Sanchez who needs a leader beside him and Rodon who has to concentrate on getting up to speed with the EPL before we discover if he's a leader or not.

The difference someone like De Ligt would make to our defence would be utterly massive.
TBF, the difference someone like De Ligt would make to any club's defence would be utterly massive...which is why he sold for £80M.

TBF, the difference someone like De Ligt would make to any club's defence would be utterly massive...which is why he sold for £80M.
I remember a time the feeling on here was that he wasn't needed and Toby was so much better!

That's what you do if you have ambition, the best young player in the world is available and we"monitor" then fold at the first call. Want to make a statement Danny, oh you were too busy jizzing over plans for has beens...

It's always irritating when people like you try to pass off some nonsense as if you know what you are talking about

Top 6 spending on defense over the past 7 years

Price is in millions

Year/Team​
City​
United​
Liverpool​
Chelsea​
Woolwich​
Tottenham​
20/21​
$123.8​
$15​
$15.95​
$74.2​
$32​
$58.9​
19/20​
$95.82​
$142​
$1.9​
none​
$73.7​
$27​
18/19​
$3.6​
$23.7​
$62.5​
$80​
$41​
none​
17/18​
$245.2​
$35​
$93.88​
$82.8​
$2.1​
$80​
16/17​
$80.5​
$38​
$11.2​
$58​
$44​
$1.1​
15/16​
$44.8​
$18​
$21.6​
$50.5​
$14​
$26.9​
14/15​
$53​
$76.75​
$45.3​
$20​
$54.23​
$41.85​
Total​
$646.72​
$348.45​
$252.33​
$365.50​
$261.03​
$235.75​
"I included the values of center backs, fullbacks, and goalkeepers. I did not included defensive mids. Values are taken from transfermarkt"
-From reddit

There's your fucking problem
The Dippers spent less than £18m more than us on defence. Woolwich £26m more.
That's not our problem.

The problem is all those teams have far greater revenue than us, with the possible exception of Woolwich.

Revenue in millions

Year/Team​
City​
United​
Liverpool​
Chelsea​
Woolwich​
Tottenham​
19/20Covidnoaccounts releasedasyet
18/19​
£475​
£553​
£470​
£399​
£347​
£403​
17/18£499£582£451£445£386£376
16/17£473£581£364£361£423£306
15/16​
£393​
£515​
£302​
£335​
£350​
£209​
14/15​
£353​
£395​
£298​
£319​
£331​
£196​
Total​
£2.193​
£2,626​
£1,885​
£1,859​
£1,837​
£1,490​

Anyone expecting us to match their spending is deluding themselves, Woolwich excluded.

Back
Top Bottom