Our problems

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair.

So since we're at such a disadvantage might as well get a coach who can outperform his resources right? What use is a chequebook manager without Abu Dhabi?
We’ve got money to spend. Less than Abu Dhabi, but still plenty. Last summer showed that. Covid has obviously massively hit our finances, but that could hardly have been seen coming when we appointed Jose.

I’d be much happier if we give the guy we’ve had for a turbulent 18 months, more time to deliver, than ripping it up and trying something completely different.

We’ve got money to spend. Less than Abu Dhabi, but still plenty. Last summer showed that. Covid has obviously massively hit our finances, but that could hardly have been seen coming when we appointed Jose.

I’d be much happier if we give the guy we’ve had for a turbulent 18 months, more time to deliver, than ripping it up and trying something completely different.
So we can spend big enough for Jose to do the job? I'm not so confident but ok.

Sometimes get the impression you want Jose to stay purely cos you don't want us to go back on the managerial merry go round as opposed to having actual faith in him being successful.

Docherty being the prime example of this!

But Doherty was always an attacking fullback in a back 5. Never solid defensively, as that wasn't his job.

We are playing him in a flat back 4, with defending the priority and only time played in a back 5 was on the left.

Talk about putting a round peg in a square hole, and is just another example of how Jose has totally mismanaged the tools at his disposal, or authorised the purchase of a player that would be totally unsuitable to the style he intended to play.

A proven over many years top quality player doesn't become a shit player overnight when moving to another club. The environment we have created for him is just no way complimentary to his attributes, and that falls on the manager either through not creating it, or bringing him in to it.

Last edited:
So we can spend big enough for Jose to do the job? I'm not so confident but ok.

Sometimes get the impression you want Jose to stay purely cos you don't want us to go back on the managerial merry go round as opposed to having actual faith in him being successful.
It’s both.

I believe in his track record. I believe he has the respect of the players presently with us and the respect of almost all he has managed in the past (Casillas, Shaw being notable exceptions). I believe he has a plan to take us forward. I believe he is being undone by a weird ass season and a lot of individual errors.

But yes, I don’t want us to chuck it in like we normally do and go for the next trendy guy off the conveyor belt, just to do the same thing in two years with a squad full of players the new guy doesn’t want. We gave Poch 5 years and I’d like to see Jose get the same.

Including 10 months of a fucking global pandemic.

It’s both.

I believe in his track record. I believe he has the respect of the players presently with us and the respect of almost all he has managed in the past (Casillas, Shaw being notable exceptions). I believe he has a plan to take us forward. I believe he is being undone by a weird ass season and a lot of individual errors.

But yes, I don’t want us to chuck it in like we normally do and go for the next trendy guy off the conveyor belt, just to do the same thing in two years with a squad full of players the new guy doesn’t want. We gave Poch 5 years and I’d like to see Jose get the same.
Give Jose 5 years? Are you kidding. I respect his previous success in terms of trophies but the football is depressing to watch and long term it's just not acceptable. Plus we are witnessing the horrible football without any success. :mourcry:

My best hope is that the impact of covid on football finances will suit Levy and he'll be able to Hoover up some bargains.

The issue is selling players

Even if we pretend we have the funds without freeing up wages, we still have a HG player issue - so need to move players just to free up squad places

Levy isn't going to sign loads of players if it means others end up unregistered and taking their wages for nothing

Do you think the Thai's at Lai s'es sta, and the Yanks at Livvah phewel are all mad for soccah then?
Are they hell, its a money machine to them, ditto the sheikh. Strangely probably the only one who probabky wants it for the sake of the game is the Russian thief.
Maybe you're right. They're all in it to make money.

But they all seem to be less successful than our own at doing it, but more succesful at winning football titles while trying.

The issue is selling players

Even if we pretend we have the funds without freeing up wages, we still have a HG player issue - so need to move players just to free up squad places

Levy isn't going to sign loads of players if it means others end up unregistered and taking their wages for nothing

A lot of them on big long contracts as well, a lot of clubs could have this problem of players getting paid well above current market value because of pre existing contracts and not being able to shift them.

Give Jose 5 years? Are you kidding. I respect his previous success in terms of trophies but the football is depressing to watch and long term it's just not acceptable. Plus we are witnessing the horrible football without any success. :mourcry:

The last two games suggest he does want to play attacking football but doesn't feel he has the players to do so right now. Well the defence particularly.

A lot of them on big long contracts as well, a lot of clubs could have this problem of players getting paid well above current market value because of pre existing contracts and not being able to shift them.

Yeah - the transfer market will stagnate imo

Firstly, as you say, players will be on contracts they won't get elsewhere so won't move.
Secondly, the value of a really good player to their current club will be more than the market would pay - e.g. Kane or Grealish

Ruben Dias is a perfect example.

Pricey but we could have got him. Looks like he’ll be the foundation of City’s title winning side for the next four or five years.

We will ship out Sanchez and, let’s be honest, try and nab a cut price deal for someone that may or may not be a good player.

Our problem is we buy mediocre dross. We should buy young talent like Rodon but supplement it with the very best players available on the market.
This is a great post. Probably the best of the thread.
Particularly the final sentence.

We are a very very wealthy club. But, can anyone name a single world class player we brought, in the prime of their career, to make an immediate impact on the team?

Just one?

Jokes aside, Ndombele is looking like the one player where we did stump up for, and, looks like we've got the player we can build a midfield around.

We need to do the same for our defence and up top too.
He looked curiously "flat" last night though, not as incisive and effective as he has been previously, and seemed to drift out of the action for lengthy periods.Maybe that clash with Davies was more debilitating than it looked.

Spending hasn’t cost us the finals and semis we’ve lost though.
Spending didn’t cost us the CL final any more than it cost us going out to Norwich or Everton
Spending money generally makes better teams though. And better teams tend to win more football matches.

Take a look at where most of the major titles have gone over the last 20 years if you disagree.
The evidence is indisputable.

But whatever the problems, losing in rhe fashion of yesterday could happen at anytime.

That we have not been good enough to win a wretched cup competition for however long flags up the basis for the opening post, in my opinion but as stated the solutions are straightforward, if for us, seemingly and endlessly elusive.

This is a great post. Probably the best of the thread.
Particularly the final sentence.

We are a very very wealthy club. But, can anyone name a single world class player we brought, in the prime of their career, to make an immediate impact on the team?

Just one?
No.

Can you name a single player that, given the choice between us, the other top teams in the league, the Spanish duo, PSG, Juventus, Bayern, would choose us?

Dias looks great for City and we maybe could have got him, but the second they came in to view, it was never happening. And would you call him World Class? I wouldn’t. Certainly wasn’t when they signed him.

How many World class players move clubs anyway?

I look at the money we’ve spent over the years and it seems by far our best value is nearer the bottom end and not the top. Problem is we spend money, just not on the correct players. If there’s any problem with Levy, it’s not financing a world leading scouting system.

Back
Top Bottom