Our problems

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I honestly have the feeling that if Mansour or Abramovich had invested in Spurs, then something would’ve gone horribly wrong (not that I’d welcome those individuals).
Sorry but that is pure bollocks.

Argue that we would be plastic if you want.
Or that success would feel hollow and/or immoral.

But suggesting that if we followed the proven formula which works for everyone else, we would not see success is nonsense.

Net spend and wage bill result in silverware that's a fact. If you want to argue we're too broke or whatever fine that's another argument.

But don't come with this "even if we spent it wouldn't work" crap. We're not unique snowflakes. That's something ENIC could only dream of our supporters believing.

Stop running away.
You're just giving further proof that this is Kane's limit. You've found him out. Great, now what?

Keep moaning? Hope Kane trains really hard and surpasses his peak? That's daft to put it nicely but all you can offer as you're clearly scared shitless to go back on what you've said re: investment/Levy providing the right conditions. And don't go running in circles again it's transparent.
sammyspurs sammyspurs scaredy cat come out to play.
I see you posting more and more proof Kane isn't that good. I agree with you and you hide.
Answer the question then big boy

You’re late to the party.
It’s been decided this morning that everyone all agreed Kane has been poor.

Just that I said it horribly
I know you can read, so this selective answering you do is very embarassing. You churn out essays for fun usually but now it's timid posts with no backbone.
Great now we all agree. But you're the one who is going to be his most vocal critic so what is the solution?

You know Gary Neville's "Lads, it's Tottenham" anecdote that gets wheeled out with frustrating regularity in the media and repeated on social media by the profoundly unfunny?

Part of the reason it was so annoying the first time you heard it was that you knew it was true. I've been a Spurs fan for 50 or so years and we've had a soft underbelly the whole time. Even when we were great in cups and Europe, there was a weakness to us when the chips were down in the league. As far as I can remember, until the Leicester season, we only challenged for the title once (86-87) and even then we folded in all three domestic competitions.

I thought Pochettino had got us to turn the corner in that regard, even Neville himself said so, but no, it seems it's too tightly interwoven into our DNA.

I haven't the faintest idea how you set about changing it, to be honest I doubt anyone has. Like Pennywise the Clown, it lurks in the sewers of our psyche. Unfortunately it rears its ugly head more frequently than he did

WMGLI2LX5VCCBL3JVFMIPG2QQY.jpg

Tottenham's weak underbelly, pictured earlier
To be pragmatic, football is about money now.

Aren't we just a club that financially operates just below the most succesful teams. We spend a bit less on wages, a bit less on transfer fees, sell on our best players in their prime. There is no DNA, no constant at the football club that is still here that was here 50 years ago. We came close with Poch on a number of fronts and Redknapp did well for us but they were always operating at a level slightly below the top echelons. A miracle season like Leicester had is probably a once in a lifetime achievement.

I'm a 30 year suffering fan, so maybe you have a different perspective on the period before that but looking at Man City for example, their record in the league is similar to ours over the last 50 years but they've won the PL 5 times in the last 10 years or something. Strangely just after the oil lads came in and started spraying everything gold.

This is what Tottenham are always have been always will be.....even the two most recent times in our history where we had a period of dominance if you’d call it that when we won things 60s then the 80s it was just one league title plus a challenge we never kicked on, we rested on our laurels and thought we’ve made it fast forward Pochettino’s era and the new stadium same again in fact worse we didn’t win owt! This Tottenham Hotspur football club suck it up....

Expensive and rubbish divas on the bench that think they deserve to be paid huge amounts or win things but are literally playing like MK Dons back up, and cant be relied on

Defending in certain games

Attacking in certain games

Keeper

Tactics some games

The erratic form of our players

No leadership on the pitch

No game plan going forward

No identity

Wasteful subs

No attempt to integrate two strikers together

The players have an inevitable look on their face when we lose rather than a disappointed one.
It feels that the only way to fix Tottenham sometimes is 22 new players and a new coaching team.
Some will scream “New owners!!!” But it’s as silly as thinking some Sheik will make Dele good.

Last night showed that even when it’s good, it’s shit.
Lots of dead wood not winning players. Lloris, Davies, Sanchez, Aurier, Winks, Dier, Lamela , Sissoko, Bale, Bergwijn,

Our problem is simple.

75% of all our goals come from 2 players (Son/Kane)

60% of all goal assists come from 2 players (Son/Kane)

All goals 68% involve Kane or Son.

If I were an opposition coach, I would just tell my team to neutralise them. Son, drop deep and don't give him space to run behind. Kane, double up on him and stand on his ankle.

Our problem is simple.

75% of all our goals come from 2 players (Son/Kane)

60% of all goal assists come from 2 players (Son/Kane)

All goals 68% involve Kane or Son.

If I were an opposition coach, I would just tell my team to neutralise them. Son, drop deep and don't give him space to run behind. Kane, double up on him and stand on his ankle.
agreed...we are probably the easiest team to counter in PL. 2 players to disable, no one else matters. "Keep the attacks coming and their bang average defenders will crumble at some point"

To be pragmatic, football is about money now.

Aren't we just a club that financially operates just below the most succesful teams. We spend a bit less on wages, a bit less on transfer fees, sell on our best players in their prime. There is no DNA, no constant at the football club that is still here that was here 50 years ago. We came close with Poch on a number of fronts and Redknapp did well for us but they were always operating at a level slightly below the top echelons. A miracle season like Leicester had is probably a once in a lifetime achievement.

I'm a 30 year suffering fan, so maybe you have a different perspective on the period before that but looking at Man City for example, their record in the league is similar to ours over the last 50 years but they've won the PL 5 times in the last 10 years or something. Strangely just after the oil lads came in and started spraying everything gold.
True. The bar has been raised and we're some way below it. Was ever thus though. ENIC and Levy will never match the silly money from the cherry-picking oligarchs and sheikhs.

The problem we find ourselves in is that we're now in an amazing new stadium with world-class training facilities but with a mid-table level squad - albeit one that fortunately compromises of a few exceptional footballers carrying the team.

So what to do? They can't sell it in the current market even if they wanted to. It's not the right time what with all the crazy instability out there. They wont change their model or dig deep for the very best and we're shackled with a manager who has not worked with these constraints for many years. He saw Kane, Son and Dier and thought the squad was already something top quality he could shape to his design and has come in for a bit of a shock.

All this is sending mixed signals out to the fans. Behold, a shiny stadium with a skywalk and a bar you can get angina sprinting from one end to the other. Best training facilities. World class. Open your wallets. But the actual important product - the football - is not.

I honestly was happier in some ways back in the old stadium. Wins there felt like throwing a better party than the big fancy house down the road. But now we're in the big house and we're serving square box Leibraumilch and playing Tie a Yellow Ribbon on an Amazon Echo Dot. I don't know the answer.

Back
Top Bottom