Our problems

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

for me problems are deep
Levy always wants to win a deal, sometimes deals just have to be fair to both parties
Scouting team is poor, how come Leicester change head of scouting yet still get good unknown players
the Club has no team believe, we had Harry then Poch (simalar styles) then we get Jose different style completely, but all the player we have or been scouting would be "Poch style players" now we have to find Jose style players, this for me is madness we need a continuity if we are going along with Poch you get another manager who plays that type of style

Lay your cards on the table, for once.

What do you want from new owners if they come today.
Every single bit of it.

“new squad, manager and quadruple” isn’t an answer John
How much longer are you gonna keep deflecting and defending them mate?
Another two decades?
Would 40 years of winning nothing be ok?

What would I want from new owners??

More priority given to investing in the football team on the pitch, instead of profits off the pitch.
If annually recording the highest profit margins while simultaneously having an empty trophy cabinet does it for you, fair enough.

Having a CEO who openly admitted he doesn't like football and only became involved "to exploit its popularity " doesn't fill me with confidence for the next 2 decades.
Especially when he's been true to his word so far.

I'll let the new owners choose the manager, thanks, and I'll let the new manager choose the players.

I just don't particularly want 20 more years of being perennial losers where it matters most mate,

"we chose football because it is the most popular sport on earth and the biggest money spinner "
Daniel Levy

Time for a change, my friend. Time for a new approach

Last edited:
How much longer are you gonna keep deflecting and defending them mate?
Another two decades?
Would 40 years of winning nothing be ok?

What would I want from new owners??

More priority given to investing in the football team on the pitch, instead of profits off the pitch.
If annually recording the highest profit margins while simultaneously having an empty trophy cabinet does it for you, fair enough.

Having a CEO who openly admitted he doesn't like football and only became involved "to exploit its popularity " doesn't fill me with confidence for the next 2 decades.
Especially when he's been true to his word so far.

I'll let the new owners choose the manager, thanks, and I'll let the new manager choose the players.

I just don't particularly want 20 more years of being perennial losers where it matters most mate,

"we chose football because it is the most popular sport on earth and the biggest money spinner "
Daniel Levy

Time for a change, my friend. Time for a new approach
Do you think the Thai's at Lai s'es sta, and the Yanks at Livvah phewel are all mad for soccah then?
Are they hell, its a money machine to them, ditto the sheikh. Strangely probably the only one who probabky wants it for the sake of the game is the Russian thief.

The way you improve a team is through investment in the squad.

We haven't done this well enough over the last few years hence we still have the likes of Winks, Dele, Sissoko, Sanchez stinking the place up.

We got close to a few things. A title race when all the other big boys were in transition. A magical CL run that was quite inexplicable. But ultimately we have never had the squad and/or luck required to get over the line (see Leicester's PL win for the lucky ticket).

So we think we are closer to the top than we are because of our exploits in recent years but the truth is that our squad is packed full of average players.

It's not a case of get Nagelsman in and suddenly Sanchez is Van Dijk, Dele remembers how to play football, Winks stops being terrible, etc.

We need to consistently be upgrading the squad each window with clever purchases and timely sales and promoting the standout youth we have.

I think our recruitment setup has a lot to answer for.

Expensive and rubbish divas on the bench that think they deserve to be paid huge amounts or win things but are literally playing like MK Dons back up, and cant be relied on

Defending in certain games

Attacking in certain games

Keeper

Tactics some games

The erratic form of our players

No leadership on the pitch

No game plan going forward

No identity

Wasteful subs

No attempt to integrate two strikers together

The players have an inevitable look on their face when we lose rather than a disappointed one.
It feels that the only way to fix Tottenham sometimes is 22 new players and a new coaching team.
Some will scream “New owners!!!” But it’s as silly as thinking some Sheik will make Dele good.

Last night showed that even when it’s good, it’s shit.

We can dissect this as much as we like but the issues for me are relatively straightforward.

What do we want? A trophy and always to be competitive surely.

For me it's not just a matter of buying new players. Too simplistic.

We have a poor overall mentality. The facts speak for themselves.

We lack players who are consistently as in game in game out above 7 or 8 out of 10. That does speak of the ability or create the capability we need.

And we don't have truly World class, game changers. People can believe what they like but the evidence is there for all to see..

Under Pochettino and for 3/4 years we were very close but fell short. Pochettino nearly broke the mould and now Mourinho is trying but failing.

Last edited:
Be honest, would you rather:
1) give Jose time to build his team and shift the non performers and replace them

2) let yet another manager try and get the best out of the likes of Dele for three more years

You talk about the core of players yet our best three have 8 goals between them against the top 6 and 3 assists (6 and 3 if you take out Woolwich)

I’ll keep saying it until someone responds.
You can’t all just pretend that’s ok from 3 supposed world class players.

It’s garbage
The mind boggles that had we won someone thinks there would be zero problems in what we saw...

Liverpool were erratic nearly men, bought VVD won the CL and the league. Single handedly turned their defence from comedy (Lovren lol) into one of the best. Playing alongside VVD has improved Matip and Gomes no end. VVD injured, now they're erratic again.

City were inconsistent, brilliant going forward but had developed a shit defence. In comes Ruben Dias, and now clear at the top of the league and John Stones alongside him looks great.

We looked good when we had Jan and Toby at the top of their game. No we look erratic and inconsistent. Yes, we need another DM and better full backs....but we are going nowhere until we solve the problem at CB. Pick a champion team in any sport and you'll find it's built on a rock solid defence.

Mourinho knows this and still hasn't got what he wants. If we want to be consistent and win something we need to invest heavily in this position. Unless we're in the mix for top tier talent in that position we're going nowhere.

Harry, Son, Ndombele, PEH - imv all amongst the best in the world at what they do. We have an old Toby and 3 bang average CBs. We need to be dropping £60m+ in this position if we want it sorted. Dier and Rodon would look 10x better alongside a Varane, Koulibaly or maybe Skriniar. Fuck it I'd welcome Ramos at this point.

I had a look at the squad list from 2010 until current day. What you see is a consistency of quality backbone players through the years. When Bale was sold it took a little bit of time for some of those players to settle but it clicked because there we rest of the team gelled.. You look at the squad now and there's 3 that are irreplaceable and the rest are misfits. When Leicester won the league was absolutely the best opportunity we had and now it's going to be a very tough few years

Well good luck because Dele, Lamela, Moura, Dier, Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Sanchez, Aurier, Lloris, Toby will never......ever........be any better than they already are

I think every single one of those listed have proved they are better than they are currently performing though.

However when you have a manager who plays tactics not suited to the strength of the squad, but instead suited to his outdated methods and they are failing, you don't throw the baby out with the dishwater.
Do you really think it is a coincidence that 80% of our squad that 5 months before Jose arrived reached a Champions League Final have basically all dramatically regressed, or could there possibly be a common denominator.

Yes 2 or 3 through age are now on downward slide, but absolutely nothing to suggest the players are now all Sunday League standard and all need replacing. They just need need to be played to their strengths.

And Mourinho would be the last manager I could think of that I would want to be in charge of a rebuild. We will be left with 11 tall athletic Sissoko's, with everyone except centre forward acquired for defensive rather than attacking attributes.

Last edited:
Top 6 spending on defense over the past 7 years

Price is in millions

Year/Team​
City​
United​
Liverpool​
Chelsea​
Woolwich​
Tottenham​
20/21​
$123.8​
$15​
$15.95​
$74.2​
$32​
$58.9​
19/20​
$95.82​
$142​
$1.9​
none​
$73.7​
$27​
18/19​
$3.6​
$23.7​
$62.5​
$80​
$41​
none​
17/18​
$245.2​
$35​
$93.88​
$82.8​
$2.1​
$80​
16/17​
$80.5​
$38​
$11.2​
$58​
$44​
$1.1​
15/16​
$44.8​
$18​
$21.6​
$50.5​
$14​
$26.9​
14/15​
$53​
$76.75​
$45.3​
$20​
$54.23​
$41.85​
Total​
$646.72​
$348.45​
$252.33​
$365.50​
$261.03​
$235.75​
"I included the values of center backs, fullbacks, and goalkeepers. I did not included defensive mids. Values are taken from transfermarkt"
-From reddit

There's your fucking problem

I think every single one of those listed have proved they are better than they are currently performing though.

However when you have a manager who pays tactics not suited to the strength of the squad, but instead suited to his outdated methods and they are failing, you don't throw the baby out with the dishwater.
Do you really think it is a coincidence that 80% of our squad that 5 months before Jose arrived reached a Champions League Final have basically all dramatically regressed, or could there possibly be a common denominator.

Yes 2 or 3 through age are now on downward slide, but absolutely nothing to suggest the players are now all Sunday League standard and all need replacing. They just need need to be played to their strengths.

And Mourinho would be the last manager I could think of that I would want to be in charge of a rebuild. We will be left with 11 tall athletic Sissoko's, with everyone except centre forward acquired for defensive rather than attacking attributes.
They have all performed better, but they will never be any better than what we’ve seen of them already. Not here anyway.

That’s my honest opinion, and I’ve defended most of them for years.
No manager is going to get them consistently playing, because they just aren’t consistent players.
Even when they peaked, we came up short.

They have all performed better, but they will never be any better than what we’ve seen of them already. Not here anyway.

That’s my honest opinion, and I’ve defended most of them for years.
No manager is going to get them consistently playing, because they just aren’t consistent players.
Even when they peaked, we came up short.
So you want big investment is what you're saying?

Back
Top Bottom