Palace v Spurs 11th Sept 12:30 - Selhurst Park

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could have at least gone 4 minutes longer. Lazy bastard
iCrVxRu.png

Either way thank god international break has come to an end

I don’t understand this millennial thing about hating the national team. When I were a lad football was all about the national team, with domestic football filling the gaps between the Euros and World Cup. I enjoyed the international break and how well England played other than a couple of minutes at the end of the Poland game.

I will say I totally went off international football during the so-called “golden generation” of Lampard/Gerrard (the latter’s arrogance particularly irked me when he would often be “injured” during qualifiers/friendlies), the racist cunt that is John Terry, and the moody, never-my-fault, only-plays-well-in-a-Utd-shirt, granny shagging, overrated Rooney. Plus a load of shit managers and automatic qualification into the starting XI if you play for a top four club didn’t help either. Give me Calvin Phillips fighting tooth and nail for his country, controlling the game any day.

I sort of agree with you.
But as someone who went there back in the 70's and 80's, it's nice to experience the nostalgia once in a while.
ditto.

Grew up in Bromley, so they became my local team (it was only when they got promoted to Div 1 that I even realised there WAS a local club, I'd not heard of them before). Saw them a lot between 1970 and 1979 when I moved away.

Stood on the Holmesdale, massive terrace, some of those old grounds could hold big crowds. 52,000 saw them get promotion to Div 1 the 2nd time in 1979. And then of course Charlton, which had the biggest capacity of all, 70,000 plus.

But nothing ever compared to the view and atmosphere of the old Shelf.

ditto.

Grew up in Bromley, so they became my local team (it was only when they got promoted to Div 1 that I even realised there WAS a local club, I'd not heard of them before). Saw them a lot between 1970 and 1979 when I moved away.

Stood on the Holmesdale, massive terrace, some of those old grounds could hold big crowds. 52,000 saw them get promotion to Div 1 the 2nd time in 1979. And then of course Charlton, which had the biggest capacity of all, 70,000 plus.

Saw us play there for the first time back in '77 in the 2nd division. Some Palace fans I know still complain that Peter Taylor fouled their 'keeper, leading up to our winning goal.
Went next in '79 for the 1-1 draw. 45,000 plus there that day. We had the whole terrace behind the goal, (pre-Sainsburys) half the Arthur Wait standing enclosure, tons in the seats and a big mob in their end. Our train was ushered straight through New Cross after the game, as Millwall were apparently waiting.

ditto.

I used to go to Charlton quite a bit as a kid, when full the Valley is a good laugh with a good atmosphere

Can see how it would have been incredible before all seaters

Would love to see a surprise Ndombele start but if not Winks/PEH/Dele as a 3 should be enough for Palace.

Not sure I rate Tanganga at CB tbh. Would rather keep him on the right to shut down Zaha. Emerson can work his way in from the ECL. Time for Rodon to enter the fray. That would only be one change to the defence so shouldn't cause much disruption.

Wouldn't be against giving Gil a start if Son is not 100%. Lucas or Berg is whatever.

Think Palace are good for the drop this season. As much stick as he got at times, I think Roy Hodgson was the main reason why they were relegation fodder over the last number of years.

It won't be easy as on their own pitch they'll have plenty of energy but I think our quality will shine through in the end, and our fantastic start will continue. 1-2.

Saw us play there for the first time back in '77 in the 2nd division. Some Palace fans I know still complain that Peter Taylor fouled their 'keeper, leading up to our winning goal.
Went next in '79 for the 1-1 draw. 45,000 plus there that day. We had the whole terrace behind the goal, (pre-Sainsburys) half the Arthur Wait standing enclosure, tons in the seats and a big mob in their end. Our train was ushered straight through New Cross after the game, as Millwall were apparently waiting.
You got me thinking. I first went there for a cup game, couldn't remember what cup or when. Had to look it up.
It was 1980. We won a League Cup replay 3-1 (Villa, Hoddle, Crooks)

I like it how the pitch is below street level.
Charlton and Watford spring to mind as others
You got me thinking. I first went there for a cup game, couldn't remember what cup or when. Had to look it up.
It was 1980. We won a League Cup replay 3-1 (Villa, Hoddle, Crooks)
Yup - they had just started building the Sainsburys behind the goal, so there was only a small terrace there. Had also installed seats in the lower tier of the main stand.
The ground was never the same after that....character-wise.

I first saw us there Jan 1972, 1-1. Chivers free kick, Palace equalised Gerry Queen.

First match there was Oct 1970, 1-1 v Spam. In their team - Moore, Hurst and......Greaves.

A Palace mate at the 1980 match (4-3?) complained that "Spurs had taken over half the bloody stadium!!!"

Yup - they had just started building the Sainsburys behind the goal, so there was only a small terrace there. Had also installed seats in the lower tier of the main stand.
The Bernabéu is the classic example of a Tardis ground. It looks fairly big from the street, but it doesn't prepare you for the impact when you see it from inside. There's a whole tier at least below ground level

Yes. We were standing along the side.
Come to think of it, I must have been there before that. I remember standing on the terrace behind the goal, It was the match you mentioned, 1-1, 1979 (checked it on TOPSPURS). Have hardly any memories of the day, except we drove there, and was there a bit of grass verge at the top of the terrace?

Back
Top Bottom