Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's not true. He certainly touched the ball, but every time he did it was exactly what he did for us. Which was essentially useless.

I went on and on about my distaste for Paulinho over the summer. I would like to see him play under Poch before I continue to decry him, but I have very little hope.
I was so excited when we got him. He looked like a proper box to box midfielder that could tackle, pass, carry the ball forward, score goals, win balls in the air, and run all over the pitch. He looked like he could do it all. After watching him this past season and world cup, I've seen a player that just wants to get into the box and wait for the ball while hoping it will fall to him. He doesn't tackle well, he doesn't win many aerial duels, he doesn't work as hard as I thought, hardly passes forward, hardly shoots on target, and he doesn't even finish well when he gets chances. I really wanted him to do well but he's just been so disappointing.

Its funny, Paulinho is literally the opposite player as Dembele who can pass well (albeit slowly at times), dribble, tackle, and work all over the field. Dembele just won't get into the box or shoot. If we could somehow to combine them into one player we'd have the best box to box mid in the world.

I was so excited when we got him. He looked like a proper box to box midfielder that could tackle, pass, carry the ball forward, score goals, win balls in the air, and run all over the pitch. He looked like he could do it all. After watching him this past season and world cup, I've seen a player that just wants to get into the box and wait for the ball while hoping it will fall to him. He doesn't tackle well, he doesn't win many aerial duels, he doesn't work as hard as I thought, hardly passes forward, hardly shoots on target, and he doesn't even finish well when he gets chances. I really wanted him to do well but he's just been so disappointing.

Its funny, Paulinho is literally the opposite player as Dembele who can pass well (albeit slowly at times), dribble, tackle, and work all over the field. Dembele just won't get into the box or shoot. If we could somehow to combine them into one player we'd have the best box to box mid in the world.

My thoughts exactly.

Dembele is brilliant in the middle third, ineffective in the final third. Paulinho brilliant in the final third, ineffective in the middle third. Very frustrating.

Yep, Paulinho played mostly very well against Limasol, and really did work hard. He is a great player, that will show it if given the chance when there is a good structure, a good gameplan and a team that actually plays for each other. Yes, he had a bad WC, but so did pretty much everyone from Spurs, because they came to Brazil from a terrible season for their club. That shit affects players.

Seems like a really decent guy. It would be great if he could show that he's better than what we saw for most of last season (although I do remember some pretty decent and critical pieces of play earlier last season).

IMO, he was pretty anonymous in the first half, but had a bit more about him in the second, took his goal well. I'm still not convinced he should play on Sunday though.

IMO, he was pretty anonymous in the first half, but had a bit more about him in the second, took his goal well. I'm still not convinced he should play on Sunday though.

That is a big part of his game. When other players are looking at the clock and slowing down, he keeps going like we've just kicked off.

Great engine. Dier showed how important that trait is vs West Ham.

In fact, it's pretty similar to this

There are a lot of footballing aspects that are not very fashionable at this club. I tend to get a lot of stick for championing the dour hard nosed aspect of the game.

Last edited:
I do feel that we need to keep Paulinho around, he is one of the few central midfielders that can actually bag a goal on a regular basis. 8 goals last season is not at all bad considering how deep he plays, that said, he should have scored alot more considering the amount of decent goal opportunities he messed up. Wouldnt want to see him go at all!

So what do we expect from him this season? Last year it was possible to explain away his underperforming. Exhaustion, first season in the PL, crap managers etc. He's now had a vacation and is currently out of the national team, so no long travels. Pochettino hasn't picked him for the PL squads so far, but that could be because of his late arrival this fall. Personally I would like to see him used in a more attacking role than previously. His goal threat is his biggest plus in my book, and he's not good enough defensively to play deeper. For me, a stand-in for one of the three behind the striker.

So what do we expect from him this season? Last year it was possible to explain away his underperforming. Exhaustion, first season in the PL, crap managers etc. He's now had a vacation and is currently out of the national team, so no long travels. Pochettino hasn't picked him for the PL squads so far, but that could be because of his late arrival this fall. Personally I would like to see him used in a more attacking role than previously. His goal threat is his biggest plus in my book, and he's not good enough defensively to play deeper. For me, a stand-in for one of the three behind the striker.

I think he will come good. ether next to capoue or next to stambouli. I do think he is a great goal threat but he dosent pass vertically enough for me to play 10, at least consistently..
I watched him quite abit in the confed cup and a little bit of when he played for Corinthians and trust me he has it in his game to link the midfield with the attack..not sure why he started simply passing to the wingers or full backs and then hair into the box (maybe pressure, thought he needed to score goals etc) but I think poch can bring out his best qualities and he can be a certain starter in our 11

I think he will come good. ether next to capoue or next to stambouli. I do think he is a great goal threat but he dosent pass vertically enough for me to play 10, at least consistently..
I watched him quite abit in the confed cup and a little bit of when he played for Corinthians and trust me he has it in his game to link the midfield with the attack..not sure why he started simply passing to the wingers or full backs and then hair into the box (maybe pressure, thought he needed to score goals etc) but I think poch can bring out his best qualities and he can be a certain starter in our 11
If he has those passing abilities then this is the time to show it. My issue with him playing deep is also that he seems to shy away from the tough tackles and gets bullied off the ball too easily. If he has less defensive duties and can focus on the final third, then I see him creating plenty of trouble in the opposition's box.

Back
Top Bottom