Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was kinda hoping we'd sell Paulinho, as I think he's better suited to playing abroad. But given we haven't, let's hope he can break through. His lack of international duty means that maybe he can start at Sunderland and score a vital goal, we'll see.

The best thing that could of happened is Poch recognising he's a number 10 rather than a number 8. For all his mediocre displays last year there were several tiny glimpses of what he can do, great weight of ball and nice vision in tight spaces. Still wonder if he will shift Eriksen out to the left to accommodate Paulinho if he catches form, he's not shy to get into the box and we desperately need that with a wandering Adebayor starting.

Should be ahead of Bentaleb in the picking order by a country mile

With the arrival of Stambouli - well, not sure - possibly rotate with Capoue?

I have a lot of time for Paulinho and feel was unfairly criticised mostly by Scheinderlin fanboys

I'm really looking for determination and grit from Paulinho this year. I've not seen anything from him that suggests he's anything more than a Tesco Value Sandro.

I really want him to succeed. I loved his last minute goal at Cardiff, I thought he'd kick on from there but same could be said for Soldado. I just want them to try theor hardest and show me that they care about the club. Anything less and I'll want them binned in January again.

Play him as second choice no 10 imo
I think this is the plan by the way we've shipped Holtby. Our viable #10s are now Eriksen, Chadli, Lamela and Paulinho. I'm expecting to see him line up behind the striker a lot in Europe/cup competitions, but has to prove himself before he gets back into the starting 11 for me.

The best thing that could of happened is Poch recognising he's a number 10 rather than a number 8. For all his mediocre displays last year there were several tiny glimpses of what he can do, great weight of ball and nice vision in tight spaces. Still wonder if he will shift Eriksen out to the left to accommodate Paulinho if he catches form, he's not shy to get into the box and we desperately need that with a wandering Adebayor starting.
Nope.

If the cost of accommodating Paulinho is that Eriksen is shunted off to the wings even more then as far as I'm concerned let's cash him in.

Eriksen >>>>>>> Paulinho.

Paulihno should play behind the striker or not at all.....not sure why so many of our midfielders get stifled by tactics and end up becoming anonymous.

Jenas was fast, had a great shot, could get round a man and play RW, but was forced into the abyss. What the living fuck is a "Holding Mid"....its a waste of space.

Sandro and Paulinho were also stifled.

Imagine if someone said to Modric, "nah mate, just knock it wide to the nearest bloke"...

Should have a DM with a brain, and a more creative midfielder, with defensive awareness next to him.

I cant stand it when the game passes our midfield...we´ve gone back to the Jol era in that sense.

Parker and Modric worked wonders because nobody just sat there...."holding" thin air.

Thats a massive bonus of 442....your CMs have to work.

Paulihno should play behind the striker or not at all.....not sure why so many of our midfielders get stifled by tactics and end up becoming anonymous.

Jenas was fast, had a great shot, could get round a man and play RW, but was forced into the abyss. What the living fuck is a "Holding Mid"....its a waste of space.

Sandro and Paulinho were also stifled.

Imagine if someone said to Modric, "nah mate, just knock it wide to the nearest bloke"...

Should have a DM with a brain, and a more creative midfielder, with defensive awareness next to him.

I cant stand it when the game passes our midfield...we´ve gone back to the Jol era in that sense.

Parker and Modric worked wonders because nobody just sat there...."holding" thin air.

Thats a massive bonus of 442....your CMs have to work.

Absolutely and Poch has seen that straight away, only game he has played is in that role in the European game and looked ok, he scores goals, lets use it for the cup games for now, he wont be good enough to play in one of the 2 in the middle, doesnt offer enough as you say

Definitely willing to give him a shot further up the field. He's not cut for it in the pivot IMO. Not enough passing range and doesn't shield the defense well enough.

Like Holtby, his best skill is pressing far up the field. Putting him further mitigates that and the game goes around him when he has more responsibility and more ground to cover.

Nope.

If the cost of accommodating Paulinho is that Eriksen is shunted off to the wings even more then as far as I'm concerned let's cash him in.

Eriksen >>>>>>> Paulinho.
Don't think it's quite the Tim tactic of plonking him on the wing, think with the formation Poch seems to be using Eriksen seemed to play much of his stuff from either wing anyway leaving the centre to Lamela, he's got nowhere near the ability Eriksen has though but he's got a presence in the box that we are going to need this year.

Don't think it's quite the Tim tactic of plonking him on the wing, think with the formation Poch seems to be using Eriksen seemed to play much of his stuff from either wing anyway leaving the centre to Lamela, he's got nowhere near the ability Eriksen has though
Again, I think it's more important to the squad that Eriksen plays through the middle.

I expect that through the season we will see Lamela pull out to start at RW by default rather than as an out-and-out #10, like we saw during preseason.

but he's got a presence in the box that we are going to need this year.
That's what she said.

Again, I think it's more important to the squad that Eriksen plays through the middle.

I expect that through the season we will see Lamela pull out to start at RW by default rather than as an out-and-out #10, like we saw during preseason.

That's what she said.
I'd like Eriksen to keep his role at number 10 but I think he's clever enough and two footed enough to be a real asset from that floating left spot, my only argument is I think a Paulinho - Eriksen partnership will be more effective than a Eriksen - Chadli one, I'd happily be wrong though.

I think there will be times when he would suit playing with Eriksen and Lamela behind the striker.
I agree with Norg Jim about not playing him deep atm.
He proved last yr he could score albeit after many chances, but at least he does score more regually than say Dembele/Lennon/Townsend.

Back
Top Bottom