Pep Guardiola

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's just got 179 points out of a possible 228 points across two Premier League seasons following a record breaking 100 point season, just 2 years ago.

Whilst winning 4 other trophies in the process.

Would you say that was off his game?
Having spent?

Agreed.

But I think most of those people you talk about weren't around or old enough to see the accomplishments of Mourinho from 2002 - 2010 at least - when he took control of football.

Yeah and those same people take for granted that Chelsea are a superclub, but Mourinho is both the Roberto Mancini and the Pep of the project that made them that way. Sure he had unlimited funds at his disposal, but the crushing of the United/Woolwich axis under his bootheel was a massive accomplishment that turned the tide of the entire sport.

Y'know, you look back at a seminal football period of time with the benefit of hindsight, and there are a couple of guys who won:

Euro 2008, La Liga 08-09, Champions League 08-09, La Liga 09-10, World Cup 2010, La Liga 10-11, Champions League 10-11, Euro 2012, and La Liga 12-13.

And their names are not Pep Guardiola and Lionel Messi.

Still underrated, those two.

True. He has failed at getting them the Champions League.

However, his credibility doesn't change by failing to win the Champions League at a club that's never won the Champions League - that's part of his challenge.

Ancelotti has taken the Everton job (after the Napoli job) because the game of football has passed him by,
he's outdated and no top club would probably go anywhere near him.

Football evolves.

There's a reason Guardiola and Klopp are managing two of the top clubs in world football whilst managers of yesteryear are managing the likes of Spurs and Everton.

However, maybe football is starting to slowly evolve again into something different. It doesn't seem to be about pass, pass, pass anymore and it's moving more towards a powerful game of football full of counter attacks and pace - something that's caused Guardiola to come unstuck time and time again over the last few years.

It'll be interesting to see Gurdiola's next move and see if he can adapt where other top managers of the past have failed.
Is it possible that if he got the shove, and a top (£$£$) side didn't call for him he'd decide enough was enough? I wouldn't blame him. I would question him, but not blame him.

I guess taking on the national gig is the only thing left for him. But having to rely on the talent available rather than being able to buy whomsoever he chooses may not suit him?

Is there a precedent for fêted managers going to the US or China to see out/extend their career? I mean, honestly, what is his career path from here?

Is it possible that if he got the shove, and a top (£$£$) side didn't call for him he'd decide enough was enough? I wouldn't blame him. I would question him, but not blame him.

I guess taking on the national gig is the only thing left for him. But having to rely on the talent available rather than being able to buy whomsoever he chooses may not suit him?

Is there a precedent for fêted managers going to the US or China to see out/extend their career? I mean, honestly, what is his career path from here?

I don't think he'd have to worry about that.

If he did get the shove, he'd probably go to PSG (who'd likely sack Tuchel for Guardiola if they don't win the CL) and try and win them that competition.

Inter Miami.

I don't think he'd have to worry about that.

If he did get the shove, he'd probably go to PSG (who'd likely sack Tuchel for Guardiola if they don't win the CL) and try and win them that competition.
Or even if they did? As far as I can see the game is just exactly that to the middle eastern money men.

Or even if they did? As far as I can see the game is just exactly that to the middle eastern money men.

I don't think they'd sack Tuchel if they won the Champions League to be honest.

BUT then I'd just say Guardiola would go back to Barcelona to try and sort out that mess.

I think there would be enough options for him if he left.

As mentioned above PSG if they don't win, and maybe even if they do win.

If he took a year off it is possible that United would be available if OGS has another ok season. He could go back to Barca, Juve could be open again depending on how Pirlo does, Chelsea is always an option with Roman as owner.

I doubt Inter is enough of draw for him but with all the Conte issues this year it could easily be an option for him.

Inter Miami.
I probably would if I were him....

630x355.jpg

How? They have limitless funds, it will be upgrade upgrade upgrade until the owners get bored - hope I'm wrong as one team dominating is boring. Also bored of pundits going on about how wonderful they are when the sources of their mega wealth are a bit fishy, to say the least.

That said, they do play great football and aren't a rival, which is some comfort.
This aged well, lol.

City might bounce back next season, who knows?

He’ll go to either PSG or Juve next

He’s doing a tour of Europe’s richest clubs

That's it.. Pep has been at Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Man City. Hes bought every decent player going and had pots of gold to spend at each of those clubs.. No one knows how good a manager he is.. I wonder what he would do at a Burnley and build a team on a budget?

He’ll go to either PSG or Juve next

He’s doing a tour of Europe’s richest clubs
I think he might take some time out like he did between Barca and Bayern. Then see how he feels and what's available in 8 - 10 months time.

Poch is currently the 6/4 fave to take the City job next.

City were done by VAR tonight, the Lyon 2nd goal should not have given, there was a clear foul in the build up, and as for the offside.
Well, according to the current bullshit offside rules made by some cunt who has never played the game in his life it was onside, but bringing common sense into the equation (outdated concept these days) I have no idea how your supposed to defend that when you've played a striker five yards offside and he's clearly interfering with play. A rule that badly needs to be re-introduced.

City bossed the game and somehow lost 3-1 but it was a freak result.

Can't really pin that on Guardiola tonight, we'd be livid if that decision had gone against us.

I have sympathy for the foul call - I think it's a tricky one since neither player was going for the ball, and there was clearly no intent. If that had been given as a foul, there would have not been many complaints.

However, that wasn't offside. The player who was offside did not play the ball, didn't feign to play it, and didn't stop anyone from playing it. Never offside.

He can take another run at the CL for the next two years at City then head back to Barca after Koeman did all the hardwork of moving out the crap and losing (well for Barca standards) as the hero returning.

A lot of the issues at Barca should be fixed by then and they shouldn't have enough success that it won't be easy to move Koeman out so Pep can go back, bring them back to success and keep up his reputation as well.

Back
Top Bottom