Pierluigi Gollini

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t think Gollini is anything special but I don’t think he’s any worse than the equivalents at other clubs. Steffen, Kelleher, Kepa, Leno, they are all a similar level. I don’t think he’s any better or worse than Cudicini, Vorm, Gazzaniga or any of our other recent reserve keepers.

I think it’s a bit unfair to judge Gollini after so few matches and ignore what he did at Atlanta, he is clearly a good keeper. But challenging Hugo, the club captain and a world class player, is not easy. I think if Hugo only played once every 5/6 weeks, he’d also look a bit off.

When we were still in Europe he was playing weekly.

As I said to another lad above:

"If we play him 15 times we are obliged to buy him so whether you like it or not a judgement MUST be made by the time the early stages of the FACup are over."

Do you want to sign him to a perm deal?

When we were still in Europe he was playing weekly.

As I said to another lad above:

"If we play him 15 times we are obliged to buy him so whether you like it or not a judgement MUST be made by the time the early stages of the FACup are over."

I don't. Get Pope or Henderson. HG and competent. And younger than Hugo.

Not really. I think Conte is a manager who does not like to play his second keeper very much so there isn't much point spending any real money on that position. There must be a cheap home grown player out there who is happy to come here and sit on the bench for 90% of the games.

They just need to be better than Joe Hart.

I’ve not been impressed but people blaming him for the goal yesterday are nuts.

No one would have blamed him for the corner if Rodon (who looked shaky every time a ball went over his head) hadn’t thrown a temper tantrum.

Even if he was at fault for the corner (which he wasn’t), a team needs to be able to consistently defend a corner. Not his fault we defended that corner terribly.

No one would have blamed him for the corner if Rodon (who looked shaky every time a ball went over his head) hadn’t thrown a temper tantrum.

Even if he was at fault for the corner (which he wasn’t), a team needs to be able to consistently defend a corner. Not his fault we defended that corner terribly.

Does Hugo concede that goal?

Not really. I think Conte is a manager who does not like to play his second keeper very much so there isn't much point spending any real money on that position. There must be a cheap home grown player out there who is happy to come here and sit on the bench for 90% of the games.

The WBA lad who's deal is almost up is the obvious choice, but would he resign himself to a #2 role?

I don't. Get Pope or Henderson. HG and competent. And younger than Hugo.

Only way Henderson comes is if he's given the #1 shirt....... United's splinters are more lucrative than ours.

He was... That was poor command of his box.

Doesn't mean he's at fault for the goal though.

The WBA lad who's deal is almost up is the obvious choice, but would he resign himself to a #2 role?

Only way Henderson comes is if he's given the #1 shirt....... United's splinters are more lucrative than ours.
If Hugo doesn't sign then we need a #1 anyway. If he does then it'll be a good fight for the jersey.

perfect replacement is maignan for me

i know he just signed for milan but in terms of taking over from lloris he has everything we need

but i would wait on that and see what lloris does first

That's not what I asked. Hugo plays, same team, same events. Does Hugo concede that goal?
Maybe, maybe not. That ball was near the edge of the box and an attacker was close. Nowhere near a clear decision for me and I’m a goalkeeper. I’ve seen way worse that aren’t criticized. People just wanna blame gollini because he hasn’t impressed.

I had hopes for Gollini but I have lost a bit faith in him. I blame him entirely for yesterdays goal. He had bags of time to come out and collect the through ball, Rodon was forced into putting it out because he too was expecting the keeper to collect it.
From the resulting corner he just watched the ball roll in without any attempt at a save.

I think this is a result of lack of game time and always the risk if you play the same keeper 95% of the time.

He needs game time for sure.

That's not what I asked. Hugo plays, same team, same events. Does Hugo concede that goal?
No, because the same event doesn't occur. Hugo comes out, claims the ball, no corner, no goal. Are you a VAR ref? Football is a sequence of events that have consequences, you can't take them all separately.

Maybe, maybe not. That ball was near the edge of the box and an attacker was close. Nowhere near a clear decision for me and I’m a goalkeeper. I’ve seen way worse that aren’t criticized. People just wanna blame gollini because he hasn’t impressed.
He hasn't. He could have done better - most of the goals he's conceded he just stands there. Like that one.

No, because same event doesn't occur. Hugo comes out, claims the ball, no corner, no goal. Are you a VAR ref? Football is a sequence of events that have consequences, you can't take them all separately.
So basically it is Gollinis fault then, as Hugo would have prevented the sequence. That's all I was really checking.

No, because same event doesn't occur. Hugo comes out, claims the ball, no corner, no goal. Are you a VAR ref? Football is a sequence of events that have consequences, you can't take them all separately.
Sorry can’t agree at all here. A corner is a corner. If we concede 5% of corners… each poor play that results in a corner should be 0.05 GA. You can’t just completely blame someone for a goal because the other team scores off one corner and then disregard a mistake because they don’t score off the corner. This sort of logic does not predict future results at all.

Gollini hasn't been impressive at all in his short time here and wasn't impressive in Atalanta either.

I know that if Hugo goes down there is likely never going to be someone who is a great replacement but Gollini is a guy who would be a terrible option to have for a run of games.

The fact that he isn't HG and has no future to take over as #1 when Hugo retires/leaves means he really is fairly useless.

Back
Top Bottom