Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He definitely needs someone more creative than Sissoko along side him. When he's the free man as a CDM he can usually do ok but when having to operate as one of the 2 possession oriented CMs who face a more intense press, he does not do as well.

Anyone worried by how we don't really dominate midfields when him and Tanguy play.
I have no idea what it is but whenever we play a team at the same level as us or better we seem to get overran in midfield . Those 2 players are quality but maybe they are tired or maybe don't work well together. Idk.

He really struggles when he doesn't have outlets to pass to. Tanguy is obviously the best outlet for him but as great as he has been playing, Bale is not great at moving into space for him, Lucas is terrible at it and Kane seems to be a step off with his recent injuries, so PEH does not have the options he needs to move the ball quickly.

He would really be helped with GLC coming back into the starting 11 whether for Bale, Lucas or if Son is out because he would give him a better outlet along with Ndombele.

I think he is obviously overplayed which has resulted in some defensive lapses as well.

He really struggles when he doesn't have outlets to pass to. Tanguy is obviously the best outlet for him but as great as he has been playing, Bale is not great at moving into space for him, Lucas is terrible at it and Kane seems to be a step off with his recent injuries, so PEH does not have the options he needs to move the ball quickly.

He would really be helped with GLC coming back into the starting 11 whether for Bale, Lucas or if Son is out because he would give him a better outlet along with Ndombele.

I think he is obviously overplayed which has resulted in some defensive lapses as well.
We need

Lo Celso Hojbjerg Ndombele
midfield

I feel like we could start to domiante games with those 3 in midfield.

We've run the midfield with them as a 2 plenty of times recently. They're likely just both completely gassed at this point since our midfield rotation options are crap. We've played the most games of any team in world football (we're either first or econd most, I can't remember).
We haven't run the midfield agaisnt anyone decent tho have we . That's kinda the problem.

I agree tho i think its fatigue. This season is like no other even missing the occasional midweek game won't help. Played far more games than they would in any normal season.

We've run the midfield with them as a 2 plenty of times recently. They're likely just both completely gassed at this point since our midfield rotation options are crap. We've played the most games of any team in world football (we're either first or econd most, I can't remember).
When have we run a game against a half decent with that fat Danish clogger in there?

Still doesn’t give a platform in front of the back to stop them hoofing it, or going back to Lloris to hoof it

That is a midfield that can dominate the ball and quickly move it forward to the front 3. PEH can win the ball back, GLC as well, and then get it to GLC and Ndombele who both have the option to run past defenders or pass it up to break the line.

It eliminates the need to hoof it because GLC and Ndombele are both great against the press or in breaking down defenses that drop back. They are comfortable with the ball and can dominate possession.

That is a midfield that can dominate the ball and quickly move it forward to the front 3. PEH can win the ball back, GLC as well, and then get it to GLC and Ndombele who both have the option to run past defenders or pass it up to break the line.

It eliminates the need to hoof it because GLC and Ndombele are both great against the press or in breaking down defenses that drop back. They are comfortable with the ball and can dominate possession.
I’ve seen nothing from PEH to think he can win it back and recycle it forward against a good side. He simply can’t. He’s one of the main reasons we look so so shit, he’s better than Winks and Sissoko but falls well short when it matters.

he might be better as a 8

I’ve seen nothing from PEH to think he can win it back and recycle it forward against a good side. He simply can’t. He’s one of the main reasons we look so so shit, he’s better than Winks and Sissoko but falls well short when it matters.

he might be better as a 8

There can be criticisms of him, but winning the ball is not one of them.

How many times did he do it today? Don’t doubt he’s had some good games for us, but he’s a big part of why we struggle against good sides

I can't say as I didn't really focus on it, I will say that I am not deciding based on one game alone and I have seen him do it enough over the season to know that it isn't an issue at all.

PEH is not a problem for this team in anyway.

I can't say as I didn't really focus on it, I will say that I am not deciding based on one game alone and I have seen him do it enough over the season to know that it isn't an issue at all.

PEH is not a problem for this team in anyway.
Go and rewatch a few more of our games against decent sides eg Chelsea, Leicester etc. He’s atrocious when we are up against it

big problem for us

Go and rewatch a few more of our games against decent sides eg Chelsea, Leicester etc. He’s atrocious when we are up against it

big problem for us

I watched those games and he wasn't close to atrocious.

I am far from PEH's biggest fan but trying to make it out like he is a problem is ridiculous. He is fine for the team and we need to upgrade around him. He is not one of the top players, but he is not a bad player either. If we strengthen the MF he would fit fine in there for us.

I watched those games and he wasn't close to atrocious.

I am far from PEH's biggest fan but trying to make it out like he is a problem is ridiculous. He is fine for the team and we need to upgrade around him. He is not one of the top players, but he is not a bad player either. If we strengthen the MF he would fit fine in there for us.
I agree that’s he’s not a bad player, and I agree he will fit in better when we have a DM.

atrocious is harsh, peripheral and unprogressive are better terms for him when it’s a tough game

I agree that’s he’s not a bad player, and I agree he will fit in better when we have a DM.

atrocious is harsh, peripheral and unprogressive are better terms for him when it’s a tough game

I would say that is more due to the tactics and players around him that are used in those games rather than him being a bad player or not good enough.

When played in the same midfield as someone like Sissoko, I agree it is not a good fit, especially if combined with a low block tactical set-up. He should not be playing in a MF where there are players worse on the ball than he is.

Back
Top Bottom