Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
It's not really Pochs job to identify and sign replacements though. It's the scouting and recruitment team, both of which have been sub standard long before Poch arrived.

Oh great let’s defend a manger for supposedly saying yes to players he knows fuck all about.

You do realise that he personally spoke to Aurier, Janssen and Wanyama don’t you?
And isn’t it odd how the recruitment dept. gets blamed for poor signings at the same time the problems are being blamed on a window nobody was signed.

We were close to 1st in January if I remember right. From 'title race' to not even qualifying for CL is shitting it.

Barca and Bayern were the ones who shit it.
Harry got top 4.

That’s the target.

It’s still the target. Difference then was Harry was doing it with Alan Hutton and Peter Crouch.

And people call this squad shit. Poch would be in the Champo with the 2010 squad.

But if all goes well with a new manager, we have the same problem of top 4 at best, staleness & unrest. & how much do you think the new manager needs for refreshment? & are u sure we will give him that amount despite the history?

No I can't ever be sure.

But the point I've been making is that right now we have so many players who we could deem not good enough. With Poch I don't think it changes. So we need to replace them all. Maybe a new manager could turn some squad players (with positional tweak, or ironing out some mistakes with private tutoring) to starters or just improve them. Like Conte did with Moses, like van Gaal did with Schwainsteiger and Robben etc.

So I tend to think that the rebuild with new manager might be cheaper than with Poch.

Another thing is that Poch has not been able to bring a bargain to glory after Dele and Dier. So if we say need need 5 players this will be 200+ mil outlay.

Why has he given the green light to the signing of so much crap? He has a big say.
He gave the green light to "crap" up until the Summer of two years ago where he very plausibly put his foot down and said either sign players who will actually improve the team or don't sign anyone at all.

I mean even take last Summer, when you peel everything back our recruitment was an absolute farce. We signed 3 players, 2 of which we faffed about over all Summer, despite the fact both of them were long term targets who Pochettino clearly wanted in, and as a result got them in last minute as usual and neither have had kick for us all season. How can that be the fault of anyone but the people in charge of recruitment? And how could anyone not understand why the manager would be very unhappy with a second BS summer window in a row?

He gave the green light to "crap" up until the Summer of two years ago where he very plausibly put his foot down and said either sign players who will actually improve the team or don't sign anyone at all.
Was there a gun put to his head to give the green light to all that crap? Since his ego exploded and he was promoted to manager, our transfer dealings have not improved. He has bitten off more than he can chew. What is his attitude? If you can't get me Zaha and de Jong, Danny Boy, I don't want nobody, baby?
I mean even take last Summer, when you peel everything back our recruitment was an absolute farce. We signed 3 players, 2 of which we faffed about over all Summer, despite the fact both of them were long term targets who Pochettino clearly wanted in, and as a result got them in last minute as usual and neither have had kick for us all season. How can that be the fault of anyone but the people in charge of recruitment? And how could anyone not understand why the manager would be very unhappy with a second BS summer window in a row?
I would have welcomed more new faces but I have got to ask you-why are we shaping up to spend £60m on his compatriot when he was available for £25m 12 months ago? Do you know how many players he wanted us to buy this summer?

Was there a gun put to his head to give the green light to all that crap? Since his ego exploded and he was promoted to manager, our transfer dealings have not improved. He has bitten off more than he can chew. What is his attitude? If you can't get me Zaha and de Jong, Danny Boy, I don't want nobody, baby?

I would have welcomed more new faces but I have got to ask you-why are we shaping up to spend £60m on his compatriot when he was available for £25m 12 months ago? Do you know how many players he wanted us to buy this summer?

It's probably the biggest error the Club have made, Joe Lewis really, in leaving Levy negotiating and Poch as the main voice in transfer selection, during a major period of team transition.

We needed a Director Of Football. To expedite the sales as much as also facilitate the right team options, Poch has never shown Klopp's eye for a player (or whoever Klopp uses). Alsoa DOF to mediate the stress Levy and Poch must cause each other, even if only a 2year contract.

On that point, noticed another really bright coach my be joining Klopp, Poch seems like a dogmatic type, have we seen any cutting edge staff appointments under his stewardship as Manager? (couple of damp squibs)

Just using Klopp lately as they have even net spends.

Also have people saying “good” that we didn’t get Grealish. Even though Poch wanted Grealish.

Fuck yes!! Im with you. Need to cut the head of the snake. Levy out!!
I’m not personally blaming Levy, who to blame or whatever is up to individual fans, but for the love of god would people just stop trying to be some kind of saint like fan who only ever see the positives.....We lost fucking 7-2 at home and some of these idiots are still coming out with shite like “ let’s get behind the team”

I mean seriously, have any of these people actually watched us play in 2019?🙄

It's all been said but as much as I love Poch he really lucked out by having Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Jan, Toby and Son all hitting their peak at the same time.

Best squad in a generation and we've won nothing.

Does anyone seriously think that Mourhino, Conte or Allegri with that exact same squad wouldn't have won at least something by now?

I agree. The trophies must also be won.

Allegri is a poor mans Mourinho in my opinion. Mourinho is the obvious choice. Born winner, eager to prove something, and can improve the defence which is our weakest point at the moment. Plus, he's despised by most of people, so he fits us nicely.

I think you are confusing. Mourinho is a great coach but now lives on income. With Manchester United he spent a lot without becoming a top team in the PL: he bought Pogba and then waged war ... Even at Real Madrid (where CL wins) he made a mess by splitting the locker room: the CL was won by Ancelotti. Allegri is a coach who never attacks the company: always aligned with Juventus in 5 years. He worked with every kind of higher and higher budget.

We will not make CL final this season, I can promise you that much.

But there are coaches around who could take this bunch of players and guide them to top 4. Poch is not this manager.

If you want names - Allegri still (if he feels he is up for it, and has changed the stance of how long he plans to work), Mourinho. And number of other managers who I might not even be aware of.
Just as you exposed with Allegri thing - we are football fans and we cannot cover all the managers in top leagues (or up and coming managers from less mainstream ones) - we follow one team or max one league. It is not our full-time job. I wouldn't have envisioned Poch to be our new manager either back in the day. And he generally has been very successful manager (whose ideas have by now unfortunately ran dry and who is not motivated anymore). I trust they can do it again.

We have options now -
1) either we accept that we will be knocked out of CL, League Cup and FA cup in 1st stage under Poch and finish outside of top 4 quite certainly and give him money to rebuild the team (after he has publicly said that our current crop of players is bad which has to be super-motivating, and has threatened to leave right after he wins something).
2) take a chance with someone who could at least guide us to top 4. And give him money to rebuild like he seems fit and who might stay for longer period.

I am all for 2nd option.
As economically thinking person I would never give large resources to someone who does not offer stability and whose decisions on transfer market have been questionable for last 4 years (when we signed last nailed down starters in Toby and Son).

I think that Allegri will remain stationary until the summer. Comes from winning years: why take a team in difficulty with all the competitions started? Also Conte last year rejected Real Madrid. In 2014 he replaced Conte (he resigned and took the national team) at Juventus: he was received with insults (ex Milan). Today he is a top coach: he will choose by planning the best. Tottenham together with Manchester United and Real Madrid will be a target (Zidane is the Danish will jump)

It's probably the biggest error the Club have made, Joe Lewis really, in leaving Levy negotiating and Poch as the main voice in transfer selection, during a major period of team transition.
You are right, although I did not have an issue with it at the time. It has turned out to be disastrous.
On that point, noticed another really bright coach my be joining Klopp, Poch seems like a dogmatic type, have we seen any cutting edge staff appointments under his stewardship as Manager? (couple of damp squibs)
Excellent point.
We needed a Director Of Football. To expedite the sales as much as also facilitate the right team options, Poch has never shown Klopp's eye for a player (or whoever Klopp uses). Alsoa DOF to mediate the stress Levy and Poch must cause each other, even if only a 2year contract.
Couldn't agree more.

What I would say about Klopp is that his vision of how he wants his team is crystal clear. Our guy is a tinkerman by comparison.

Look at what he did last night-he began with Dele at the tip of a midfield diamond. After about 35 mins, he switched to a flat 4 in midfield, with Ndombele playing on the right wing, and Dele on the left wing. After half time, we were treated to Alli and Kane up top. Sissoko on the left wing, Son on the right wing, Ndombele and Winks in the middle. Then he took off Ndombele, put Eriksen on the left wing, Sissoko and Winks in the middle. Then he finally took off Dele, went with Lucas and Kane up top. For his last throw of the dice, he took off Winks and put Eriksen and Sissoko in the middle, Lamela on the right wing and Son on the left wing. It was batshit.

Last edited:
He is pragmatic. But yes, Italian is good description. I think we could benefit from a coach from Italian school.

Italian school coaches in PL have always worked well since the 90s. They are masters of tactics: they rationalize the great competitive spirit typical of English football.

Why has he given the green light to the signing of so much crap? He has a big say.
Dude scouted Janssen, Aurier and Nkoudou on site himself. He definitely has a say in our scouting and recruitment. The scouts obviously work on directions and instructions that they get from Poch. What type of players he wants etc.

Dude scouted Janssen, Aurier and Nkoudou on site himself. He definitely has a say in our scouting and recruitment. The scouts obviously work on directions and instructions that they get from Poch. What type of players he wants etc.

That's not how things work around here.

Good buys: Players that Poch wanted
Bad buys: Players that Levy forced on Poch

Poch the infallible one

Back
Top Bottom