Pochettino with Mourinho's squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would we be in a better position if Poch was managing this squad?

• No you cunt, Poch had his chance.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Poch didn't make good signing, so he could never build this squad

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Yes, Poch would be leading the league with this level of backing

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Apart from Matt Doherty, we're golden.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The English prefer to slaughter Argentinians than support them, so I'm glad the Mourinho era is here

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Eriksen v Ndombele in comparison is no contest.
Eriksen for 4 years running got double figures at both goals and assists Ndombele is a long way behind at the moment.
Eriksen like Dele was run into the ground by Poch.
Kane would have been the same had he not had 2/3 months off injured in each of the last 3 seasons.
Lo Celso can't string a run of 6 games together without breaking down.

Ndombele is a better all round footballer than Eriksen, he is half way between Dembele and Eriksen, he is creative but he can also beat the press and hold onto the ball.

Eriksen generally plays slightly further forward and there is an argument that we need a out and out number 10 like Fernandes but that is by the by. Our attack on paper is outstanding.

My feeling on Mourinho is simple, he doesn’t trust our defence so blunts our attack but making them defend heavily. An attacking manager would be scoring goals galore with this attack, probably conceding more as well. It’s the team balance that is the issue. we won’t see this attack unleashed under Mourinho unless we buy a world class CB and another top DM at least.

Last edited:
Nah, i dont think Ndombele is as good defensively as Dembele. Much better offensively and has similar benefits.

What I am saying is that Eriksen is in the past. He was successful in a well oiled system. When that system lost important component, Eriksen got rendered useless (by his standards)

What we need to do is find that system with the squad we have. Instead of relying on players (Eriksen) of the past, who already showed they couldn't work in anything different.
We have a pool of midfield players that are very limited on things that they can do.
Sissoko Ndombele Winks Lo Celso Ali and Hojberg are all players that can only do one good thing they are not good all rounders.
They all don't score enough goals.
Chelsea have 1 centre half that has scored more league goals on his own than them 6 have in total.

We have a pool of midfield players that are very limited on things that they can do.
Sissoko Ndombele Winks Lo Celso Ali and Hojberg are all players that can only do one good thing they are not good all rounders.
They all don't score enough goals.
Chelsea have 1 centre half that has scored more league goals on his own than them 6 have in total.

Because they play a system that only allows Harry Kane to create.

We haven't had a central midfielder score goals for us since Jermaine Jenas. That doesn't mean everyone who's followed him has been below him or limited.

Expecting goals and assists from Ndombele is like expecting goals and assists from Dembele. It isn't happening.

Eriksen would look even worse in this team than he did under Pochettino.

Because they play a system that only allows Harry Kane to create.

We haven't had a central midfielder score goals for us since Jermaine Jenas. That doesn't mean everyone who's followed him has been below him or limited.

Expecting goals and assists from Ndombele is like expecting goals and assists from Dembele. It isn't happening.

Eriksen would look even worse in this team than he did under Pochettino.
Why should we not expect goals or assists from Ndombele? He is not a defensive midfield player Hojberg /Sissoko both do this job.
Does this not confirm my earlier post regards our entire central midfield.
Please tell me what Lo Celso brings to the team

Why should we not expect goals or assists from Ndombele? He is not a defensive midfield player Hojberg /Sissoko both do this job.
Does this not confirm my earlier post regards our entire central midfield.

Did you expect goals or assists from Dembele? And were you disappointed when he came away from every game without one?

Lo Celso scored 16 goals and got 6 assists playing as an attacking player in an attacking side.

Expecting him to provide more when he plays deep midfield in a side that doesn't know how to attack is stupid.

Like wondering why Dele hasn't scored 18 goals in a season when he's played deeper the following year

Good/Great squad?
We have the same problem that we have had for 5 years.
Good 1st 11 but please don't tell me the following players are good enough to challenge for the tittle- Sissoko Dier Davies Winks Moura Aurier+ others.
Them 6 alone will play over 100 league games for us this season so please don't tell me we have a good squad.
would have helped if he picked his best 11, because yesterday he didnt.
Our best 11 is a great team, our squad is good but not great.

Mourinho is blessed with the best squad we've had in 30+ years.

He has absolutely zero excuse not to win something this year.

And if he doesnt. He needs to be moved on.

He was brought in to get top 4 in his first season. He failed that. Not to mention going out embarrassingly in the FA Cup to Norwich and Leipzig in the CL.

I'm sorry but why on earth should we give him a 3rd year when on average, that's the year everything goes to pot anyway for him??

The shine has started to rub off Mourinho's style this season. We're losing points and many in the forum seem to believe it's down to Mourinho's tactic. Versus Wolves, we've scored in the first minute and sat back to defend it. That didn't work.

I want to know, if Poch had been given the backing Mourinho was given, would we be in a better place?
We didnt sit back. We are just too sloppy when in possession and Harry Kane looked tired

Mourinho is blessed with the best squad we've had in 30+ years.

He has absolutely zero excuse not to win something this year.

And if he doesnt. He needs to be moved on.

He was brought in to get top 4 in his first season. He failed that. Not to mention going out embarrassingly in the FA Cup to Norwich and Leipzig in the CL.

I'm sorry but why on earth should we give him a 3rd year when on average, that's the year everything goes to pot anyway for him??
Very well said. We're not a charity He's one of the highest paid managers in the world , he's been backed. Top 4 and a trophy required and i'm pretty sure he knows it.

Pochetinno is by far the best manager we have had in the prem era - even his haters cannot deny that (though some of them will stupidly try)

But that was then and this is now - his time has gone. Id love for Jose to surpass him because that would mean we are finally achieving silverware. Like others have said this football will be tolerable if we have something tangible to show for it at the end of the season. If we don't, fans will turn on Jose and things will get toxic.

Did you expect goals or assists from Dembele? And were you disappointed when he came away from every game without one?

Lo Celso scored 16 goals and got 6 assists playing as an attacking player in an attacking side.

Expecting him to provide more when he plays deep midfield in a side that doesn't know how to attack is stupid.

Like wondering why Dele hasn't scored 18 goals in a season when he's played deeper the following year
You have already said that Ndombele is not as good defensively as Dembele I fully agree but after being here for 18 months there is still very little to suggest that there is a £50+ million player in there that will be a success in this league.
Similar Lo Celso even for his biggest fans has yet to do anything of note.(many players have good records in Spain but fail in the premier league).
Dele has been very poor for the last 2 years.
We have a top 4 best 11 and a top 6 squad nothing more and I would expect we will finish anywhere between top 3 and top 6.

You have already said that Ndombele is not as good defensively as Dembele I fully agree but after being here for 18 months there is still very little to suggest that there is a £50+ million player in there that will be a success in this league.
Similar Lo Celso even for his biggest fans has yet to do anything of note.(many players have good records in Spain but fail in the premier league).
Dele has been very poor for the last 2 years.
We have a top 4 best 11 and a top 6 squad nothing more and I would expect we will finish anywhere between top 3 and top 6.

Most good players don't fail though. A system can fail them however.

I knew as soon as GLC was putting MOTM performances in defensive midfield for us that Mourinho wasn't the man for him.

To be fair. You strike me as a reactionary fan. If we were still top, you'd probably say we were good enough to win it.

Most good players don't fail though. A system can fail them however.

I knew as soon as GLC was putting MOTM performances in defensive midfield for us that Mourinho wasn't the man for him.

To be fair. You strike me as a reactionary fan. If we were still top, you'd probably say we were good enough to win it.
I am a realist and know for a fact we are nowhere near a title winning squad.
Any trophy and top 4 and Jose would have done a good job anything more and you are dreaming.
Many of our fans over rate our players and you are one of them.

Passing ability and creativity that no other players outside of maybe Kane and Ndombele have. He is also solid defensively for an attacking midfielder, can be a bit of a prick without going over the line, puts in 100% effort all the time and hasn't once complained about being screwed around this season by Jose.

Passing ability and creativity that no other players outside of maybe Kane and Ndombele have. He is also solid defensively for an attacking midfielder, can be a pit of a prick without going over the line, puts in 100% effort all the time and hasn't once complained about being screwed around this season by Jose.

True but his career with us has been blighted with injury, he come back starts slowly then picks up form before getting injured. That is the concern with him otherwise a great player.

True but his career with us has been blighted with injury, he come back starts slowly then picks up form before getting injured. That is the concern with him otherwise a great player.

Sure I have no issues with people pointing out his injury concerns as they are becoming very concerning.

Just don't like the BS he does nothing for us narrative that some seem to try and push.

Ndombele is a better all round footballer than Eriksen, he is half way between Dembele and Eriksen, he is creative but he can also beat the press and hold onto the ball.

Eriksen generally plays slightly further forward and there is an argument that we need a out and out number 10 like Fernandes but that is by the by. Our attack on paper is outstanding.

My feeling on Mourinho is simple, he doesn’t trust our defence so blunts our attack but making them defend heavily. An attacking manager would be scoring goals galore with this attack, probably conceding more as well. It’s the team balance that is the issue. we won’t see this attack unleashed under Mourinho unless we buy a world class CB and another top DM at least.
And this is a problem for us fans.
I’ve enjoyed some of our performances on the counter, & think we were unfortunate against the scousers. Any one of our very decent chances go in and I think the occasion would have seen us beat them like city & United.
It’s the sloppiness and unfathomable fear factor against mid/lower table teams that I can’t get my head around. Try to grab a goal and sit on it against the likes of Newcastle and Palace? It just baffles me and you can sense the players getting more nervous as the clock ticks down. I absolutely knew Wolves were going to score in that game because we just let them come at us again and again. We weren’t offering anything to pose them any problems or worries.
It really does have to change. We are stifling/inhibiting our attacking players.
I want to see us put a few teams to the sword so other teams are terrified of coming at us because they know they’ll get blown away. We are too predictable at the moment. Defend, defend, defend. Even park the bus teams are having a go ffs

Back
Top Bottom