Pochettino with Mourinho's squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would we be in a better position if Poch was managing this squad?

• No you cunt, Poch had his chance.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Poch didn't make good signing, so he could never build this squad

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Yes, Poch would be leading the league with this level of backing

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Apart from Matt Doherty, we're golden.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The English prefer to slaughter Argentinians than support them, so I'm glad the Mourinho era is here

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Poch had his mojo back then he'd undoubtedly be doing better than what we're being served up - it's not even a question

It’s not just his mojo. To play how he wants the players to play, they needed to win stuff to keep the motivation to play that way. It just needs a bit of disbelief and the way Poch wants to play won’t work.

No chance he would have went for a player like Hojbjerg for example.
Wasn’t Mourinho praising Levy the other day about bringing in Hojbjerg? To me it sounded as if Hojbjerg was a player who Levy wanted, not Mourinho.

Jose seems more willing to work within the financial constraints the club faces
And Poch didn’t? How many first team players we’ve bought in the last 2 years of Pochettino? Can’t remember any worthy names, Llorente did the job but wasn’t a first team player, Lucas was used sporadically and we’ve seen why, he’s just poor, Aurier was a disaster.

When Pochettino changed to the fucking diamond he lost it. The players didn't know what to do. If he went back to the Bielsa school football we would be higher up I think in the league than we are now. But I don't think it's a solution to bring him back.

It’s not just his mojo. To play how he wants the players to play, they needed to win stuff to keep the motivation to play that way. It just needs a bit of disbelief and the way Poch wants to play won’t work.
I wonder how motivating it is for players to play this way.

I wonder how motivating it is for players to play this way.

If sitting back soaking up pressure the entire 80+ mins is what you meant, I’m not sure they are asked to play this way. We were pinned back starting from errant passes that couldn’t find anyone. There were no outlets and everyone were fairly static. On top of that we were not able to pass the ball and link up from the back. Ndombele was able to be the link between defense and offense few moments in the game but most of the passes were really hurried and all over the place. When it gets to someone, poor touches and generally in an area that’s closed down. Ended up losing possession over and over again.

Were the players supposed to press higher up and press harder? Is that what Jose meant when he said some of the players lack that ambition and motivation? I don’t know. I’m sure they will work on it. I’ll be patient and wait to see how things shape up over the course of the rest of our season.

Supporting Spurs all these years, I’ve learned to go with the flow a little. I’m going to enjoy it as much as I can.

Poch of 2016-18 would be interesting. Poch of today I’m not so sure. The CL final broke him. He’s now got stupid amounts of £ from us, which he insisted on taking in full. Based on interviews I’ve seen with him, he just doesn’t seem sharp or focused. We have to stick with Mou for this season and then, frankly, speak to Hugo and Harry and see if they think he is the man to build and lift our squad further. If they’re both bought in, then the players will be too; if not, let him go and forget this whole period.

Poch of 2016-18 would be interesting. Poch of today I’m not so sure. The CL final broke him. He’s now got stupid amounts of £ from us, which he insisted on taking in full. Based on interviews I’ve seen with him, he just doesn’t seem sharp or focused. We have to stick with Mou for this season and then, frankly, speak to Hugo and Harry and see if they think he is the man to build and lift our squad further. If they’re both bought in, then the players will be too; if not, let him go and forget this whole period.
The CL final is misleading, we looked bad for most of that season and clinched third by luck. The cracks started before. But things escalated rapidly afterward.

By the start of 2017\18 it was clear that teams generally learned how to cope with our high press game and that we didn't have any tenable plan B in motion.

Poch should have been properly backed summes of 2016, 2017 and 2018. Shameful that he wasn't. By the end his tenure had run its course but we'll never know what could have been. Mourinho has been backed like no Tottenham manager since probably Venables and its bang average to date. Would Poch be better with this squad? Probably but then i think 7 or 8 other current prem managers would be as well.

:pochrolleyes:

Yeah he should have donated millions of his well and hard earned money to fucking Lewis & Levy...

e;
4F68EE0C00000578-0-image-a-3_1535283325811.jpg

This guy needed a second padel court in his mega yacht... now he can't afford it! Thanks a lot Poch, greedy cunt!

Last edited:
Great/good squad but terrible tactics against teams we should not fear.
Good/Great squad?
We have the same problem that we have had for 5 years.
Good 1st 11 but please don't tell me the following players are good enough to challenge for the tittle- Sissoko Dier Davies Winks Moura Aurier+ others.
Them 6 alone will play over 100 league games for us this season so please don't tell me we have a good squad.

I don't know, but on paper Poch already had a better squad.

The more interesting question is how would we have looked if Levy opened the purse for Poch earlier like he does for Jose?

I don’t think so. Mourinho has far greater attacking resources than Poch ever had, it’s only in defence that we are weaker and the overall depth is far better now. On paper that is.

I don’t think so. Mourinho has far greater attacking resources than Poch ever had, it’s only in defence that we are weaker and the overall depth is far better now. On paper that is.
Poch had far more attacking depth than Jose.
Erikson Dele at his best and even Chadli who in my opinion was far better than Lucas is now.
Bale at the moment is about 50% the player we were expecting

Poch had far more attacking depth than Jose.
Erikson Dele at his best and even Chadli who in my opinion is far better than Lucas.
Bale at the moment is about 50% the player we were expecting

Mourinho has Kane and Son at their very best, Lucas, Bergwign, Bale as well as for the first time a top quality back up striker to Kane in Carlos plus Ndombele and Lo Celso. That is much more depth than Poch had.

What I know is Poch got the absolute best out of our players. Mourinho is getting great individual performances from players but the team performance is very hit and miss, that's his tactics for me.

Poch would have this team setup in a 4-2-3-1

Lloris
Aurier
Toby
Sanchez
Reguilon
Hjobjerg
Ndombele
Son
Lo Celso
Bale (or lucas)
Kane

They would be a very attacking team, Ndombele would be fit by now to do the job needed.

If I'm being totally honest, Pochettino needed a break of about 6 months. Doesn't work like that in football but if he came back beginning of this season to this team, I don't think anyone would be unhappy with how they're playing

Mourinho has Kane and Son at their very best, Lucas, Bergwign, Bale as well as for the first time a top quality back up striker to Kane in Carlos plus Ndombele and Lo Celso. That is much more depth than Poch had.
Kane and Son were also here under Poch (Kane scoring over 50 goals in 1 year).
Like I said Bergwign and Moura are poor and Bale is not the player he was even 3 years ago.
The problem now is creating chances Eriksen at his best would score 8-10 goals and assist 10-15 who in our team at the moment does this for us.
Dele would also score 10+ goals at least.
If Son or Kane have a quite day we hardly look like scoring

Kane and Son were also here under Poch (Kane scoring over 50 goals in 1 year).
Like I said Bergwign and Moura are poor and Bale is not the player he was even 3 years ago.
The problem now is creating chances Eriksen at his best would score 8-10 goals and assist 10-15 who in our team at the moment does this for us.
Dele would also score 10+ goals at least.
If Son or Kane have a quite day we hardly look like scoring

Yeh but we still have Dele, it’s upto Mourinho to get the best out of him. Bergwign and Lucas are not poor they are just not being used correctly, we have far greater attacking depth than we had under Poch and we finally have a decent back up striker to boot. Mourinho in attack has a wealth of options, his tactics are nullify them.

If Poch has these options and was getting this level of goal scoring we would be rightly moaning at him.

Good/Great squad?
We have the same problem that we have had for 5 years.
Good 1st 11 but please don't tell me the following players are good enough to challenge for the tittle- Sissoko Dier Davies Winks Moura Aurier+ others.
Them 6 alone will play over 100 league games for us this season so please don't tell me we have a good squad.
We reached UCL final with Sissoko, Winks, Moura and Davies in the first team. This narrative that our team is not good is just contextual. When we were winning games earlier this season they weren’t bad anymore?

I don’t know what the fuck happened with Mourinho but he fucked it up badly in the last few games.

Yeh but we still have Dele, it’s upto Mourinho to get the best out of him. Bergwign and Lucas are not poor they are just not being used correctly, we have far greater attacking depth than we had under Poch and we finally have a decent back up striker to boot. Mourinho in attack has a wealth of options, his tactics are nullify them.

If Poch has these options and was getting this level of goal scoring we would be rightly moaning at him.
Deli has been poor for 2 years.
Moura and Bergwijn are mid table premier league players at best.
If Kane or Son don't score or assist please tell me in the current squad who does that job?
WE have now played 15 games and apart from Kane and Son the rest of the squad have 6/7 goals between them.
Viny I agree we will never know if he is good enough at league level if he doesn't get the chance.

Back
Top Bottom