Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
The timeline for how Tottenham Hotspur ended up hiring Nuno Espirito Santo

Timeline of Tottenham’s manager appointment​

• Daniel Levy was distracted by the fallout from the Super League fiasco and asked Steve Hitchen to draw up a list of potential managerial candidates after Mourinho’s sacking.
  • After Julian Nagelsmann took the Bayern job, Hansi Flick was Tottenham’s top choice, but he eventually turned Spurs down to take the Germany job at the end of May.
  • Erik Ten Hag was also very high on Hitchin’s list and Spurs could have had him in May if they had decided to do so. They didn’t, and by the time he circled around again as an option it was too late.
  • Mauricio Pochettino was complaining about PSG to his London friends and wanted to come back to Spurs, but the PSG president told Spurs to pound sand in early June.
  • The restructuring of the leadership at the club and the hiring of Paratici only happened after Pochettino fell apart.
  • Antonio Conte was Paratici’s idea, but it was never a good fit. It’s still not clear why Conte backed away.
  • Paratici turned to Paulo Fonseca after Conte, but Fonseca started to have doubts over tactical and defensive priorities as expressed by Fonseca; Paratici walked away in mid-June.
  • Paratici immediately turned to Gattuso, whom he wanted to bring from Juventus. It was all arranged and would’ve happened, but #NoToGattuso and personal emails spooked Levy, who personally pulled the plug.
  • Ultimately in the last week of June it came down to Graham Potter, who had a release clause in his contract, and Nuno Espirito Santo. Many at Spurs wanted Potter, but Paratici put the hard sell on Levy for Nuno and eventually convinced him of Nuno’s tactical flexibility at Valencia and Porto.
So it was as big of a shit show as we thought.

JFC.

• Daniel Levy was distracted by the fallout from the Super League fiasco and asked Steve Hitchen to draw up a list of potential managerial candidates after Mourinho’s sacking.
  • After Julian Nagelsmann took the Bayern job, Hansi Flick was Tottenham’s top choice, but he eventually turned Spurs down to take the Germany job at the end of May.
  • Erik Ten Hag was also very high on Hitchin’s list and Spurs could have had him in May if they had decided to do so. They didn’t, and by the time he circled around again as an option it was too late.
  • Mauricio Pochettino was complaining about PSG to his London friends and wanted to come back to Spurs, but the PSG president told Spurs to pound sand in early June.
  • The restructuring of the leadership at the club and the hiring of Paratici only happened after Pochettino fell apart.
  • Antonio Conte was Paratici’s idea, but it was never a good fit. It’s still not clear why Conte backed away.
  • Paratici turned to Paulo Fonseca after Conte, but Fonseca started to have doubts over tactical and defensive priorities as expressed by Fonseca; Paratici walked away in mid-June.
  • Paratici immediately turned to Gattuso, whom he wanted to bring from Juventus. It was all arranged and would’ve happened, but #NoToGattuso and personal emails spooked Levy, who personally pulled the plug.
  • Ultimately in the last week of June it came down to Graham Potter, who had a release clause in his contract, and Nuno Espirito Santo. Many at Spurs wanted Potter, but Paratici put the hard sell on Levy for Nuno and eventually convinced him of Nuno’s tactical flexibility at Valencia and Porto.

JFC.

Fucking hell what a bunch of cunts. So we could have had Ten Hag then we could have had Potter and at least been looking forward to a good playing style.

As normal Levy falls for a sale, he did it with AVB and Jose apparently, AVB with a presentation it was reported at the time.

I feel sorry in a way for Nuno, he is coming into a mess but unless he changes his football style it’s going to be very hard for him to be a success here. Paratici if the article is true also looks like an utter snake, anyone who watched Wolves know they play a Jose like style, to try and sell him as an attacking coach is dishonest as fuck.

I got offered a season ticket. I probably would have taken it if Ten Hag had been appointed, for me how we play is as important as any results we get. I want to be entertained.

Fucking hell what a bunch of cunts. So we could have had Ten Hag then we could have had Potter and at least been looking forward to a good playing style.

As normal Levy falls for a sale, he did it with AVB and Jose apparently, AVB with a presentation it was reported at the time.

I feel sorry in a way for Nuno, he is coming into a mess but unless he changes his football style it’s going to be very hard for him to be a success here. Paratici if the article is true also looks like an utter snake, anyone who watched Wolves know they play a Jose like style to try and sell him as an attacking coach is dishonest as fuck.
Should have just wrapped up Ten Hag in early May. He was apparently interested in the move and Ajax weren't going to try and stop him.

Just mind-blowingly dumb.

Should have just wrapped up Ten Hag in early May. He was apparently interested in the move and Ajax weren't going to try and stop him.

I know Levy can be clever but he can also be more stupid than just about any human being I know, he understands the football business but he has never remotely understood football. Nuno has every right to prove me wrong but it just feel like another AVB or Jose, even if we get the results the football will be mostly crap.

As I presume I am not the only one on this site who’s not following Chinese football closely, I don’t expect an exact answer but anyway…..does anyone knows how Min-Jae Kim is doing (football-wise)?
For the previous 3 transfer windows, Spurs – and other EPL clubs - were heavily linked with him both by the press and ITK. It’s a year on now and one would think he’s improved as a player or at least not deteriorated but yet no clubs in the EPL seem to be linked with him anymore

PS! If Levy is serious about selling shirts and capturing markets in Asia he should sign these players :cool:

Hee Chang Hwang,
Mim-Jea Kim

Takehiro Tumiyasu
Daichi Kamada
Takefusa Kubo

Last edited:

....but instead, Levy waited and waited and the automatic contract extension got triggered ...and then made his move, not just once but apparently 2-3 times, putting off both his agent, Ajax, and Ten Hag big time...

....but instead, Levy waited and waited and the automatic contract extension got triggered ...and then made his move, not just once but apparently 2-3 times, putting off both his agent, Ajax, and Ten Hag big time...

The deal was extended in April.

Just seen this thread. I *really* hope we get Nuno Espirito Santo in. I think his brand of football will fit our DNA to a T. And I think he'd make us proud.

Yes, on 30th April.
Mourinho was sacked on 19th April; so Spurs started their manager search before Ten Hag's contract extension was triggered.

Previous poster said: "Should have just wrapped up Ten Hag in early May."

You followed up by saying:"instead, Levy waited and waited and the automatic contract extension got triggered"

11 'whole' days indeed :

That Nagglesman was also bagged by BM by the time the season was over:

...And that Flick was already down with Germany before we'd even sacked Jose:

Our top 3 managers all out of the mix in quick succession.... What are the odds?

I don't deny what followed was a cluster-fuck and showed a distinct lack of focus, but lets stick with the reality; not the fiction of the situation.

JFC.
This a reliable website?

We weren't ever going to get a German manager when Bayern Munich were interested, that's the biggest job for a German coach other than the national team. So I don't know why people mention that guy, Levy's not a cunt for not getting him.

He is a cunt for sitting down with Conte and not expecting Conte to make some serious demands. He's an even bigger cunt for not meeting those demands and getting Conte, who was by far the best manager looking for a new job. Then taking another 30 days to trawl through the dole queues of Europe, release a statement about DNA, do a shitty PR video bigging himself up and taking sly digs at Poch, before realising he's out of options and hiring Nuno in a panic, contradicting his earlier press release about DNA.

And Levy will continue to be a cunt - I'm certain if Nuno does well and the squad needs a boost, he will get him the equivalent of Saha and Nelsen. Or just not sign anyone for 18 months. Cunt.

It means I'm not going to invest in ENIC anymore.

I've annoyingly renewed my season ticket this season so the cunts have my £1200 but after this season I'm out.
No more going to games.
No more merch.
Might even cancel Sky Sports and resort to dodgy streams.

Can't stand the thought of making those mugs richer and richer while we constantly fail to move on.
Why did you renew this year if you feel so strongly?

Has anyone else noticed that ex-Chelsea managers haven't worked out for us? Glenn Hoddle? AVB? Mourinho? What makes you think Conte would have been any better?

Don't know about you guys but I'm happy to get behind Nuno and see how things go rather than demoralise the club even further by complaining about not getting other managers instead.

The only thing that will get us out of our slump is winning football matches. Be part of the solution instead of the problem.

#cheersnotjeers
#NunoSanto'sBlueandWhiteArmy
#COYS

Has anyone else noticed that ex-Chelsea managers haven't worked out for us? Glenn Hoddle? AVB? Mourinho? What makes you think Conte would have been any better?

Don't know about you guys but I'm happy to get behind Nuno and see how things go rather than demoralise the club even further by complaining about not getting other managers instead.

The only thing that will get us out of our slump is winning football matches. Be part of the solution instead of the problem.

#cheersnotjeers
#NunoSanto'sBlueandWhiteArmy
#COYS

Fucking hell, seriously?

Hoddle was always over rated.
AVB was a fucking fraud that Levy got on a freebie.
Mourinho was already being classed as past his best and had to make do with our shitty squad

Conte, unlike the other 3 is peak right now. He would be top of the list for almost any club looking for a coach.

There's no magic hoodoo about ex Chelsea coaches failing at Spurs. It's because Levy gets crap ones and doesn't back them.

Fucking hell, seriously?

Hoddle was always over rated.
AVB was a fucking fraud that Levy got on a freebie.
Mourinho was already being classed as past his best and had to make do with our shitty squad

Conte, unlike the other 3 is peak right now. He would be top of the list for almost any club looking for a coach.

There's no magic hoodoo about ex Chelsea coaches failing at Spurs. It's because Levy gets crap ones and doesn't back them.

BREAKING NEWS

NUNO got the job , he is our new manager !

Back
Top Bottom