Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Media is so odd, one minute seems like PSG want to sack Poch now they are holding on for dear life. Guess we won’t know till it happens and we chose a manager.

I think it's fair to say whether PSG want him it not, they won't just let him go cheaply - potential pay off in it for them.

And no matter how rich you are, £15m is still £15m (for example)

As well was the PR of it, I can imagine PSG being loathe to lose face

I think it's fair to say whether PSG want him it not, they won't just let him go cheaply - potential pay off in it for them.

And no matter how rich you are, £15m is still £15m (for example)

As well was the PR of it, I can imagine PSG being loathe to lose face

I think there was an article going around that the termination was £10m. Big but still affordable if we really want him.

I think there was an article going around that the termination was £10m. Big but still affordable if we really want him.
Not saying it's not affordable, rather just speculating on PSG side of it.

They've no reason to do us any favours, so even if they are looking to let him go I can understand them playing hard ball.

What are the odds Levy is trying to offer them Aurier for Poch + £10m ? :levylol:

Not saying it's not affordable, rather just speculating on PSG side of it.

They've no reason to do us any favours, so even if they are looking to let him go I can understand them playing hard ball.

What are the odds Levy is trying to offer them Aurier for Poch + £10m ? :levylol:

Probably 1/1 odds.

Don’t do they want a french international superstar in exchange?

200.gif

Media is so odd, one minute seems like PSG want to sack Poch now they are holding on for dear life. Guess we won’t know till it happens and we chose a manager.
Speaking as both a journalist & someone who's been a "Director of Comms" for a big organisation, it's not "the media" per se.
It's the different sources (agents, "sources close to x", club officials, whether real or imagined) who are feeding hacks from their own different perspectives & money-grubbing angles. And constantly shifting in the wind as they get better or worse offers, or a "road-block" appears.
I loathe Cummings, but he is a bright guy and he was correct here:

"One of the great myths about the whole thing is, “Oh, the reason for all these problems was bad communications.” Fundamentally, the reason for all these problems was bad policy, bad decisions, bad planning and bad operational capability. It doesn’t matter that you have great people doing communications if thePrime Minister changes his mind 10 times a day, and then calls up the media and contradicts his own policy, day after day after day. You are going to have a communications disaster zone."

Speaking as both a journalist & someone who's been a "Director of Comms" for a big organisation, it's not "the media" per se.
It's the different sources (agents, "sources close to x", club officials, whether real or imagined) who are feeding hacks from their own different perspectives & money-grubbing angles. And constantly shifting in the wind as they get better or worse offers, or a "road-block" appears.
I loathe Cummings, but he is a bright guy and he was correct here:

"One of the great myths about the whole thing is, “Oh, the reason for all these problems was bad communications.” Fundamentally, the reason for all these problems was bad policy, bad decisions, bad planning and bad operational capability. It doesn’t matter that you have great people doing communications if thePrime Minister changes his mind 10 times a day, and then calls up the media and contradicts his own policy, day after day after day. You are going to have a communications disaster zone."

Interesting I can imagine Twitter and the 24 hour news cycle doesn’t help as it overloads information from every source.

Interesting I can imagine Twitter and the 24 hour news cycle doesn’t help as it overloads information from every source.
Yes, precisely.
As a hypothetical example, if we suddenly get "Poch is staying at PSG" stories, I suspect it won't be because he no longer thinks "PSG is a circus & everything that's wrong with modern football".
It will be because Levy hasn't given him the degree of control over transfers that he wants.
That would be my take, if it happens.
Also, when I was a Comms Director rather than a hack, I routinely refused to "play the game" and put out stories which served the particular agenda the organisation was pushing but which I knew to be largely untrue.
I'm pretty rare in taking that stance and it's why I would never run comms for a big organisation again.
But the point is that whilst, in the jargon, we are meant to be able to trust "sources of authority" - eg the police, the BBC, a university, the club - all such organisations are ultimately trying to create their own favoured narrative.

We have a ruthless individual running the club and he is a disaster in my opinion. Yes a manager needs to move people on at times , but give me good football and a manager that can relate to the fans.
Not what I meant.
One who won't tolerate mediocre players or be lumped with them in the squad.

About style. What style are you expecting, the 17/18 style or the style he has used after that. What makes you think he will go back to his brand of Bielsa-football? And not continue with the not so much pressure-diamond?

Because that was his preferred style and one that he used the most often.

Only switched to the diamond after Levy failed to back him and he felt he had to change things without having the proper players.

Possibly because the only guy from the academy that really earned a chance was Winks. Anyone else you think we missed out on that should have been playing? And beyond that he gave Onomah a chance even before Winks. Our academy players are shit so let's not revise history here.

Skipp? Another one that I will believe it when I see it irrespective of his champo exploits. Long list of names that 'should have been playing' only to go on and suck. Who was the young number 10 that got tired of waiting behind Eriksen then went to Norwich with maddison and had a great year? Then on to Hudderfield for another decent champo season. Where's he now? Probably the champo because that is the best level we produce.

Would you say Sissoko or Dier were PL quality central midfielders? Would they even be champo or League 1 CM's? Did they deserve to keep getting picked by Pochettino?

All someone like Skipp would have to offer to merit some games would be to offer some aspects of his game better than those two, like being more mobile combined with more comfortable on the ball under pressure, and/or being able to press better, and/or being more tenacious, and/or being more diligent at tracking runners etc.

Young players don't have to be Phil Foden or Harry Kane quality to be viable for some game time. They don't have to meet the mythical Todd bar. They just have to show potential to match or exceed the donkey currently occupying a place to merit an opportunity to prove they can be viable, and if given that chance they prove they can't then someone else gets a chance.

They don't have to excel or be excellent to be viable when the player you are currently picking is utter shite. Because even if they turn out to not be better, you've at least kicked the original donkey up the arse and made it clear his shit performances won't keep getting automatic places in the team.

Back
Top Bottom