Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oh were you in the meeting with his agent?

It's been reported everywhere that he wanted big funds to spend, wasn't willing to play youth and was asking for a higher salary.

Again, I'm not protecting Levy. I'm just being realistic. We aren't as good as we think we are. We finished 7th, not 3rd. Other than Kane and Son, our squad is bang average.
Absolutely not, but then again neither were you

A man with zero experience in the PL. There are no upsides to Fonseca only down and the wrong half of our squad will be gone. We will keep the waste of spaces and sell the likes of Kane and Son. This appointment signals we are broke there is no cash to spend. Spurs are not speculating on future earnings to improve the squad. Enic are just look To milk us of our cash Levy and co do not care as long as we turn up every game day and buy food and drink at the stadium. If this is what they want to show us I will no longer be a cash cow for them to milk.
ten Hag has no PL experience, Lopetegui doesn't either. Just because they have never managed here doesn't mean they'll be a failure.

Any manager coming in would likely have to deal with the outcome of Kane leaving, he asked to go last season if all accounts are to be believed. There were no guarantees he'd stay if Conte did come in.

If you don't think it's a good appointment then that's your opinion, I'm not going to argue that. Just give the bloke a chance before making out he's already failed.

It's been reported everywhere that he wanted big funds to spend, wasn't willing to play youth and was asking for a higher salary.

Again, I'm not protecting Levy. I'm just being realistic. We aren't as good as we think we are. We finished 7th, not 3rd. Other than Kane and Son, our squad is bang average.

Were you in the meeting?

Nothing reported by reliable journalists say that what he asked for was unreasonable, the opposite in fact. The money wasn’t that big at all, the salary was in line with what he deserved and not much different from what we paid a shit manager in Jose, who he wants to play should be up to him.

You are protecting Levy when you claim that Conte made unreasonable demands with zero proof. In fact everything we know points to the opposite.

The fact we were in 7th shows the need to spend money and change the things we were doing that got us to that spot.

Again if we're accepting this is our lot maybe we should charge less for tickets? Yes we finished 7th so is appointing the guy that finished 7th in a much weaker league the way you improve? As usual with our club under ENIC we act big off the pitch and talk a good game but on it we're unambitious, content to just plod along on the cheap.

I will just quote this post to address a few points you have raised in the thread overall. I am not a Potterite, although did see him as the best of the 2nd tier choices- after Conte, Poch, Nagelsmann and ETH. And I was a very vocal poster about wanting a DOF.

I will address the DOF first. I very much wanted a DOF to remove Levy from the footballing decisions, but that doesn't mean that I have to just accept anyone and be happy. I had reservations about Paratici from the moment he was brought and was happy with it if paired with Conte because it would be Conte driving the bus and would take away a major concern with Paratici which was managerial hires. I don't think that I then have to be quiet just because a DOF was hired or back his hire just because I wanted a DOF.

Paratici had a lot of success when working under Marotta. Once Marotta left and Paratici was on his own he hired Sarri for a year which seemed like a bad fit but they had success because of the strength of the Juve team. The next year he hired Pirlo which was a terrible hire and made no sense from say 1. They had their worst season in years as well. Meanwhile Marotta went to Inter where they won the league. I think there are plenty of reasons to be skeptical about how much of Paratici's success was due to him having Marotta above him and that he deserves a lot of suspicion when it comes to his decisions as a DOF especially managerial hires when his previous two were pretty poor.

Now we get to Fonseca vs. Potter. I think you are misunderstanding or misrepresenting the argument for Potter. It isn't that his xG is so high, it is that it is so much higher than his actual results and when you watch his team play it is explained by watching the player constantly miss chances. There is a lot of reason to think that with better players his system would still create the chances but they would get converted at a higher rate meaning the standings would line up better with the high xG. The key is that the eye test of watching them matches up to the xG and there is a clear reason for the difference in xG and standings. With Fonseca at Roma this is not the case at all. The xG lines up with the standings, what you see on the pitch also lines up with what you see in the stats. It is a team that creates and scores a lot of chances but also gives up a shit ton as well. There isn't much reason to think with different players they are better. There is no reason to think if he comes here the results would be different.

This also leads to a big difference and a major issue I have with Fonseca, and in part in comparison to Potter. Roma is team that is similar to Spurs, at least in comparison to its place in the league. Both teams are good but not great teams in the league. They have had success in the past, can compete with the top teams but are not the elite (Inter, AC, Juve vs. City, United, Chelsea). In fact Roma might be the most comparable team in Serie A to us in EPL. Brighton is not that. We have not seen Potter at a team where he has close to the resources of the teams he is going against, maybe the Swedish team did and he got that team much better results than the previous guy. Fonseca got worse results at Roma than they had in the 5-10 years before him. At Porto he took a 1st place team 3 years running and brought them down to 3rd. They returned to top of the league shortly after. Yes at Shaktar he won with a dominant team but that is one good performance with a stacked team out of 3 at biggish jobs, not good.

Yes the Roma job was tough but it seems very similar to us. Restrictions in money compared to rivals, tough ownership, lesser players. He did poorly with all that. Even taking into to consideration all the issues nobody can say he did well.

It is possible that Potter would have had similar poor results but he has yet to have them, with Fonseca we have seen what he can do with a team like Spurs and it is not impressive at all. It seems clear to me that he needs to go somewhere else to prove that he can do a good job rather than fail at his previous job and move to a similiar, or what I would say is a better, job.
Finally a balanced post!! Cheers mate.

As I say I know fuck all about Fonseca, so that's why I'm asking rather than throwing my toys out the pram for no reason.

So if Potter's side would be better for having better attackers, then why wouldn't Fonseca's team be better for having better defenders? (looks like his had a lot of injuries to his defenders who have been out for ages and he's been playing very young lads in their place????)

Again, I know nothing about the forthcoming DoF so I can't stand his defence or attack based on zero-knowledge, all I can do is ask questions and read up about him.

I hate it, but will give him a chance.

Just have to hope this guy is the portugese poch and can get a tune out of this squad, loose in entertaining fashion etc...

If Paratici can get rid of the absolute shite at our club and bring in some quality players, who knows, it may work out?

People think I'm protecting Levy, I'm really not. The guy is a vermin who has taken us from the point of glory to mediocracy again. As a businessman he's a genius, as a football man he is clueless.

The squad needs big investment, but Joe Lewis doesn't give a shit about us. I doubt he knows what colour we play in. We're back to where we were under Villas-Boas. All of Pochettino's hard work has been undone.

All I'm saying is, the position we are in, we aren't going to attract the biggest names.

To some extent this is true but Levy's meddling blurred the lines. And as I've already stated these two folks are starting with an absolute mess so they will get a pass for some time from me. This is why I wanted Mou to continue, the pain had to be greater so the blame could be focused to where it belonged. Now we have scapegoats.
I wanted him out the door asap, so we could use the time to our advantage and plan for the summer with someone new becoming properly embedded...........Loooooooooooooool

As a businessman he's a genius, as a football man he is clueless.
Where is this coming from, please? What has he done to get labelled as genius? Stadium rights still a nebula, moved some shorter term loans in long term loans for the stadium. Guess filming some documentary is seen as genius business now? wow big fucking bollocks Levy has done it again... :pochrolleyes:

He’s fucking ruined this football club in the last 5-6 years with his dodgy transfer decisions, he thought that spending an extra 5m on the likes of Grealish or Skriniar would bankrupt us? Fucking joke of a man. He’s been bailed out by Poch that’s why we couldn’t see earlier how pathetic he has become both as a businessman and football chairman (especially this)

People think I'm protecting Levy, I'm really not. The guy is a vermin who has taken us from the point of glory to mediocracy again. As a businessman he's a genius, as a football man he is clueless.

The squad needs big investment, but Joe Lewis doesn't give a shit about us. I doubt he knows what colour we play in. We're back to where we were under Villas-Boas. All of Pochettino's hard work has been undone.

All I'm saying is, the position we are in, we aren't going to attract the biggest names.
Then why spend 7 weeks chasing our tail around Europe going after them? If we cant get a more proven manager then go for a promising up and comer not a journeyman who flits around clubs for 1 or 2 seasons.

Where is this coming from, please? What has he done to get labelled as genius? Stadium rights still a nebula, moved some shorter term loans in long term loans for the stadium. Guess filming some documentary is seen as genius business now? wow big fucking bollocks Levy has done it again... :pochrolleyes:

He’s fucking ruined this football club in the last 5-6 years with his dodgy transfer decisions, he thought that spending an extra 5m on the likes of Grealish or Skriniar would bankrupt us? Fucking joke of a man. He’s been bailed out by Poch that’s why we couldn’t see earlier how pathetic he has become both as a businessman and football chairman (especially this)
Mate, let's not pretend the club weren't in a shit state before Levy came in. He knows how to get business deals done, but as for football signings and contracts then yes, he's poor.

I wanted him out the door asap, so we could use the time to our advantage and plan for the summer with someone new becoming properly embedded...........Loooooooooooooool
More fool you! And this is the part that really irks me, the 'with the squad he has' bit. Seems like we will be getting served up some of the same delights we've had on order for that last few seasons. And since no one is out the door yet I am not expecting many to actually go ('cept Kane because Fonseca probably didn't make that a condition of his arrival). But we need so much more movement...even your 'safety blankie' Dele needs to go.

Mate, let's not pretend the club weren't in a shit state before Levy came in. He knows how to get business deals done, but as for football signings and contracts then yes, he's poor.
FFS Gatsby it's been 20 years. I'd hope some 'genius' can turn things around in that time considering the PL riches on offer. Shit, even Leeds have found themselves turned around and that owner has only been there a snip of time...and he's not richie rich.

Genuinely intrigued what makes Levy a genius business man? The original stadium was to cost £400m, instead cost £1 billion and was delivered 2 years late. This is a guy thats sacked manager after manager (who knows how much compensation has been dished out).

Whats shrewd about charging our fans the highest ticket prices in the country but delivering mediocrity?

Agreed.

I'd love nothing more than Bezos or Gates to come in and buy the club.. Will it be happening? No?
Why would you want that? I don’t wanna see clueless owners anymore. I’d be more content with someone who doesn’t break the bank every transfer window but has a good plan and vision where he wanna go. RB clubs are not pumping loads of millions in transfers yet they’re so much better ran that Tottenham (just to give you an example).

Genuinely intrigued what makes Levy a genius business man? The original stadium was to cost £400m, instead cost £1 billion and was delivered 2 years late. This is a guy thats sacked manager after manager (who knows how much compensation has been dished out).

Whats shrewd about charging our fans the highest ticket prices in the country but delivering mediocrity?
Quite clearly, unlike a certain lonely man currently getting a happy ending from a girl old enough to be his granddaughter in a sleazy Bangkok massage parlour, you Know Nothing About Business.

Back
Top Bottom